U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:20 PM

6,972 posts, read 14,100,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Quite a few of those highrise residents must be there to AVOID traffic. A lot of them can walk to work instead of commuting!

Vancouver doesn't have inner-city freeways. I suspect that's a big reason behind its zillions of residential towers, particularly before the train system arrived.
While true, the problem is that not enough of the people living in highrises in downtown Austin will stay out of cars to cure any traffic. They'll still likely drive to grocery stores, drive to malls, drive to something. Especially with companies like Apple still building massive campuses in the suburbs with no public transit connectivity.

Comparing any American city to a Canadian city is hard because Canadians, as a whole, don't have this aversion and borderline hatred towards public transit that Americans do. Vancouver has a solid bus system I'm pretty sure. Its airport is served by rail. I don't think Vancouver is the epitome of a public transit system goal, but the mindset of the people there is such that the residents gladly use transit more than Americans would. People living in and moving to Austin are NOT the type who will want to use a public transit system very often, if at all. The only way to get the people there to use a public transit system is to make sure it's a very solid, reliable and robust system. That will never happen.

As a side note, I wish every city could be like Vancouver though lol. Not the most perfect transit system, but it gets the job done and people there are generally in favor of transit/walking and the core is extremely densely built with mid rise condos...unlike most American cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 10:45 AM

4,490 posts, read 2,674,615 times
I'm sure the majority have cars and use them, it being Austin. But if they're walking to work, they're not driving at rush hour.

People do self-select cities based on the factors they like. But only to a point. Many people find a job, go to college, stay close to family, whatever, and then wish the city offered something it doesn't. Many simply stay in their hometown and wish it would improve in some way.

The "borderline hatred" to transit might be true in many cities but it's not the case in quite a few others. In my mid-sized US city, transit riders have average incomes similar to the area as a whole, and new residential towers have far fewer parking spaces than housing units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or