U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 AM

2,138 posts, read 1,430,890 times

Advertisements

Antioch and Nolensville pike area's are large Immigrant communities in Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 07:18 AM

56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Doesn't Buffalo (or is it Rochester) also have a sizable Jamaican population?
Both, but I would say more Rochester than Buffalo. There are quite a few Jamaican restaurants in Rochester: https://rocwiki.org/Caribbean_Food For instance, this young man/top HS Basketball recruit, his father is Jamaican and is from the area: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ky/1801895002/

Their West Indian festival: https://rwifo.org/

Actually, Syracuse has about 3 Jamaican restaurants now. One that I liked just closed: https://www.syracuse.com/restaurants..._location.html )(Another spot that is good is Jamaica Lick Finger in Nedrow, a small working/middle class suburb just south of the city. Good Oxtails... and this spot too: http://www.bongojerkhut.com/home.html) An example from the city/area is that Grace Jones, who was born and grew up partially in Jamaica and Syracuse, her brother Max is a pastor of this church in the city: https://apostolicsyr.org/

Albany, Utica and some of the other Upstate NY cities also have Jamaican restaurants as well. So, there are Jamaicans in other parts of the state outside of the NYC area.

Also, parts of Upstate are so close to Canadian cities like Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa, that you can just hop over to those cities to visit their Caribbean communities as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-19-2018 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-19-2018, 09:30 AM

1,179 posts, read 659,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
It's just a small city, but downtown Chester, PA, is like a "little Nigeria", with several Nigerian owned clothing stores and art galleries concentrated on a couple of blocks on Avenue of the States.
There are a few, but it is definitely far from being a "Little Nigeria".

Southwest Philadelphia has a large African community. It has the largest population of Liberians in the US, and sizable populations from Sierra Leone, Mali, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Senegal, and other West African states.

There are a ton of good African restuarants on Baltimore and Woodland avenues. Dhalak at 48th and Baltimore being one of my favorites.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:08 AM

494 posts, read 254,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Atlanta communities -

Jamaican - Eastern Stone Mountain, Lithonia, Snellville
Dominican - Northern and eastern Gwinnett County suburbs
Nigerian - Eastern Stone Mountain, Clarkston, Lithonia

Tiny suburban Clarkston, GA is home over 50 various nationalities, mostly African.
Good info! I figured there was a pretty big afro-Caribbean population on the east side of the metro, in areas like Conyers and Lithonia. I swear it feels like every time I am on that side of town, someone behind me in traffic has a Jamaican or Trinidad flag hanging from their rear view mirror. Atlanta has a pretty large black-immigrant community.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:00 PM

567 posts, read 329,671 times
There's a concentration of Jamaicans in Chicago's Rogers Park.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:07 PM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
The DC metro area is supposed to have the largest African-born population in the U.S. after New York City.

It has the highest concentration of Ethiopians and Eritreans - probably more than 100,000.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:11 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The DC metro area is supposed to have the largest African-born population in the U.S. after New York City.

It has the highest concentration of Ethiopians and Eritreans - probably more than 100,000.
Yeah surprised it took so long for DC to be mentioned. It has a very large Ethiopian population. Probably the largest in the country. In fact, DC, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta probably are all at least in the 6 or 7 of having the largest African-born immigrants in the nation. Dallas I believe has the largest Kenyan population in the US. Caribbean blacks do not venture west of the Mississippi like that. In fact, they don't venture west of the Appalachian mountains like that. I would imagine, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco has a solid population of Caribbean born blacks but nothing like NYC, Boston, or Miami.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:39 PM

354 posts, read 108,358 times
Pretty much anything east of Ohio is where most most west Indians live.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:18 AM

21,192 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Omaha has the largest population of Sudanese immigrants in the US (close to 10K by some estimates).

Old 12-20-2018, 06:14 AM

567 posts, read 329,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah surprised it took so long for DC to be mentioned. It has a very large Ethiopian population. Probably the largest in the country. In fact, DC, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta probably are all at least in the 6 or 7 of having the largest African-born immigrants in the nation. Dallas I believe has the largest Kenyan population in the US. Caribbean blacks do not venture west of the Mississippi like that. In fact, they don't venture west of the Appalachian mountains like that. I would imagine, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco has a solid population of Caribbean born blacks but nothing like NYC, Boston, or Miami.
I would've named DC but I'd have a hard time nailing down where the big concentrations are. For instance, I know there used to be a Little Ethiopia of sorts on 9th near U NW but no idea if gentrification has pushed them out or not. Also seems to be quite a few Africans in the Wheaton area though they seem to be mixed in with the Latinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or