U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 09:42 PM

1,195 posts, read 878,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Is there an actual neighborhood where they reside in or do they live all over the place?
There are Somalis (as well as Ethiopians and Eritreans) all over the Twin Cities, but the main neighborhood for East Africans (as far as ethnic businesses) is the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 10:27 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,309,469 times
Connecticut New Jersey and Rhode Island but thats pretty much just Bos/Nyc not the best example

Old 12-26-2018, 07:27 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,983 posts, read 3,464,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Which community specifically in DC are black immigrants located? because Southeast feels purely AA.
Much of U Street and Shaw areas have a heavy presence, although many of them actually live in Silver Spring, etc. In Alexandria there are strong pockets of Eritrean and Ethiopians, as well as Arlington.

Last edited by the resident09; 12-26-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-26-2018, 07:30 AM

356 posts, read 109,282 times
NC has a few Puerto Ricans enclaves and other black Caribbeans in the Fayetteville and Raleigh/Durham area.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:03 AM

4,213 posts, read 2,835,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
NC has a few Puerto Ricans enclaves and other black Caribbeans in the Fayetteville and Raleigh/Durham area.
There actually is a fairly high number of Afro-Latinos in those cities, but there aren't many ethnic "enclaves" in NC the way there are in northern places. They live all over said cities...

That said, the first time I met black Mexicans was in Fayetteville, probably going on six years ago, two sisters from Veracruz. They were as aware of their blackness as any born American I ever met, and after that point I met a handful of other black Mexicans in Fayetteville. I guess the larger concentration of black immigrants and Afro-Latinos in Fayetteville would be the Westside. Not totally sure about The Triangle, as again I've been out and about and saw these immigrants spread around...

Old 12-28-2018, 04:25 PM

352 posts, read 409,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
There actually is a fairly high number of Afro-Latinos in those cities, but there aren't many ethnic "enclaves" in NC the way there are in northern places. They live all over said cities...

That said, the first time I met black Mexicans was in Fayetteville, probably going on six years ago, two sisters from Veracruz. They were as aware of their blackness as any born American I ever met, and after that point I met a handful of other black Mexicans in Fayetteville. I guess the larger concentration of black immigrants and Afro-Latinos in Fayetteville would be the Westside. Not totally sure about The Triangle, as again I've been out and about and saw these immigrants spread around...
Interesting stuff Murksiderock! Wow thats crazy, I know a few black Mexicans but through black ties in 2nd generation not from actual Mexican states. I do know LA, Phoenix and possibly Denver have a lot of black-interracial couples that have mixed blaxican kids and therefore a lot of people in those cities identify with both.

Back to the African population. I noticed Phoenix has a large Sudanese and Somali population. There is also quite a few people from Ethiopia/Eritrea living in the SE valley, while most west African countries tend to chose the West Valley.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:09 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,373,832 times
Somali neighborhoods on East El Cajon Blvd in San Diego, Independence Blvd in Kansas City between the Vietnamese and Mexican neighborhoods, and Tukwila International Blvd in Seattle. Visible Ethiopian/Eritrean communities exist in Seattle’s southern neighborhoods - Othello, Rainier Beach, Columbia City, etc.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:25 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,611,706 times
Seattle has quite a large Ethiopian community. Next time I am there I would like to try Ethiopian food.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:39 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,261,014 times
The Detroit Metro area has a decent population of immigrants from Africa including Nigeria and Senegal.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:28 AM

356 posts, read 109,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

i seen quite a few blacks in the triangle area with Carribean/west Indian accents. I met a dark skinned puerto rican girl in high school who was from Fayetteville, and I met a puerto rican woman who was 50 years old and lived in the Charlotte area since she was 5, but was born in Brooklyn. NC obviously doesn't have the Black immigrant population like the Northeast, Florida or even Atalanta have but it exists none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or