U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 02:53 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,309,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Dearborn Michigan is scary.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 10:44 AM

22 posts, read 12,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
People have this weird idea that authentic Mexican stuff can only be found in the Western states. Maybe 30 years ago, but these days there is a large Mexican population in every region except New England.
yeah the great thing about these restaurants are that they're actually owned and operated by Mexicans, unlike those trendy yuppie "taquerias" in hip neighborhoods in big cities that claim to be authentic. Not that there's anything really wrong with them

Old 01-06-2019, 03:31 PM

905 posts, read 913,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have to be honest, I don't think most people would be surprised about that.
I am. Nashville isn't a city I would assume had any substantial immigration population.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:40 PM

1,868 posts, read 543,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I am. Nashville isn't a city I would assume had any substantial immigration population.
Why? There are immigrants all over the US

Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 AM

44,871 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Akron, Ohio, has been a resettlement city for Southeast Asians (largely from Bhutan) for about the past 20 years and now has a sizable population. The Akron Public Schools went from maybe 1-2 percent Asian in 2000 to now around 10 percent, and within the next couple of years, North HS will likely become the first high school in Ohio to be majority Asian (it was around 42 percent last year).

Akron (and Cleveland) have also have recently been taking in refugees from the Congo, but not in the same numbers as Southeast Asians. Overall, Akron hasn't experienced as great of a population decline as some of the other industrial Midwestern cities (peak population of 290,000 to now 199,000), but the refugee resettlements are the biggest reason it may climb back over 200,000 in the 2020 census. The children who came over in the early 2000s are now reaching adult age, so on top of continuing to gain in international migration, the city should start seeing a boost in native births in the coming years, since they tend to have large families.
Dayton OH is also very diverse and filled with immigrants and immigrant communities from all over the world. Overall, the diversity of the larger OH cities really surprised me - in a good way. I like Ohio cities for the most part. Heck, I like Ohio.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:55 PM

967 posts, read 1,559,551 times
Aurora, Colorado (and surprisingly not Denver) is the immigrant "capital" of the state with noteworthy Asian, African, and Hispanic immigrant communities.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:36 PM

905 posts, read 913,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Why? There are immigrants all over the US
Because it is Nashville Tennessee

Old 01-08-2019, 10:56 PM

1,868 posts, read 543,703 times
Quote:
So?

Old 01-09-2019, 05:45 AM

2,139 posts, read 1,432,789 times
Quote:

Interesting you said that. Can't blame you because I felt the same way but then on the same token it was a time when Atlanta and Georgia would have got the same comment because it's Georgia, who would think of it having immigrants being a southern state back in the day but now people see it different especially after the Olympics. Nashville is no different. I have never looked at Nashville as a small city per say after passing though it year after year heading to visit family in Chicago, always seem busy with traffic so to speak back in the early 90's passing through, but I just always looked at it as a mid sized and county music city with that big industrial looking trash heap sitting right in front of the skyline before they removed it.. No more my friend, no more!!! Nashville feel more diverse and integrated than some larger cities I know and even less segregated feeling than here in Atlanta to me especially at neighborhood level. DT on So bro feels like a country music tourist show case more than any thing with other mixes of hip and music venues scattered around, but other than that Nashville feels like a booming, bustling, diverse cosmopolitan city current day. If you have never been there you would be highly surprised. It's one of those cities that is very open to it's immigrant community and I like that. People don't feel separated like in some cities I have been to.

Last edited by oobanks; 01-09-2019 at 05:59 AM..

Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 AM

4,240 posts, read 2,514,792 times
My little hamlet of Shorewood, WI is a favored destination for Russian/USSR immigrants. I don't think I've ever visited our library without hearing Russian being spoken. Fliers come home from school for meetings stating Russian, Arabic, and Mandarin speakers will be available. We have a Russian store in town.

It makes for some good hockey players on my kids' teams .

https://patch.com/wisconsin/shorewoo...s-in-shorewood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or