U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 02:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,253,023 times

Advertisements

I doubt any new cities besides metros already above 1.5 million. Growth is quickly slowing in the US so it isn't very likely the boom of the Sunbelt or historic growth of the Northern cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 12:53 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
I would offer up Jacksonville which is at 1.5 million now in it's MSA and growing at a double digit clip currently. Climate change concerns in the southern part of the state should facilitate even faster growth rates perhaps. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill will probably be reunified as an MSA (who thought separating was a good idea?) and should easily top 2 million in that time span given it's around 1.85 million now.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:00 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,003,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
What are some small/midsized cities or metros of today that in your opinion could possibly be major cities in the future?
I think Greenville SC and the Upstate/ western part of SC in general is becoming a mega city.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 AM

1,506 posts, read 2,171,884 times
Quote:
I'd also add northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers)
This area's stupendous growth is one reason why I rarely hazard many guesses to topics like this... nobody ever knows where the next Wal-Mart will come from.

That said, I will guess that any mass movement from the east coast will be only somewhat inland. People tend to migrate along tried-and-true paths, or somewhat nearby. The eastern seaboard might decamp towards Western New York and the Appalachians, or the I-85 corridor in the Southeast. Highly doubt that the Midwest will see a tremendous influx.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 AM

9,948 posts, read 6,886,330 times
Michigan is consistently rated as one of the top 10 most beautiful states. Take away Alaska and Hawaii and its definitely a top 10 among the contiguous states. The main reason for that is its coast and beaches as it is a peninsula.

http://glenarborsun.com/empire-to-ch...rking-in-2014/

If Michigan was a stock, it would be a way undervalued stock, especially considering climate change and coming fresh water shortages, of which Michigan is surrounded by plenty. I know, I know....if there is so much good water....what happened to Flint....right? Well, that is another story, but Michigan is BLESSED with fresh water and great beaches.

I think people are naturally attracted to tangible beauty. Michigan's problem has been it's economy and economy trumps beauty any day. Hence, the last 40 years Michigan has really struggled economically due to an economy too dependent upon automobile and other manufacturing. It was the only state the lost population in the last census. When people think of Michigan now, they think Detroit, Flint, poverty, decay, crime. All those things are true....but Michigan is slowly becoming more diversified economically and Detroit is slowly turning the corner. However, West Michigan, from Traverse City down to Grand Rapids, could become a booming area NOW as its economy is a lot healthier than the economy of Eastern Michigan where Detroit and Flint are.

So My pick is the West Michigan region. The reason it is not booming now, despite nearly all the needed ingredient, is because nationally the trend is still to move to the Sun Belt. People are basically just trend followers, for the most party and then companies and people follow the trends. West Michigan is not even on the national radar, despite its capital, Grand Rapids, having a metro over 1 million (it does not feel like a million person metro....however). Aside from that, I think the movers and shakers in West Michigan kind of like things the way they are. I think they and many residents don't want to become a booming area with all the problems it brings. However, eventually what the area has to offer will become more well known and when pressure build up in the sun belt due to climate change and water and other issues......trends will change enough where people will start finding West Michigan.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:56 AM

6,435 posts, read 9,956,582 times
Quote:
What are some small/midsized cities or metros of today that in your opinion could possibly be major cities in the future?
Mobile, Alabama for sure. Every few years I pass through it, it becomes more built up and I can see it being a really big city in the south in the next few decades.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:15 PM

1,507 posts, read 524,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Mobile, Alabama for sure. Every few years I pass through it, it becomes more built up and I can see it being a really big city in the south in the next few decades.
The natural beauty of Mobile is bar none. Where else can you find Spanish moss, bayous, pine forests, bald cypress swamps, a miniature French Quarter, and an overall atmosphere like Forrest Gump's hometown, coupled with nearby white-sand beaches lined with palmettos and barrier islands, turquoise, 85 degree water? Not to mention the rolling hills of Spanish Fort. Or the liquid sunshine of a refreshing summer afternoon thunderstorm blowing in from the Gulf, the sunshine dappling the longleaf pines in shades of green from golden yellow green to a mellow alpine dark green?

For all the talk of California being scenic, I tell you, all the hillsides and creeks in SoCal turn brown, barren, and dry every summer, all summer long as there's never any summer rain in California. We would kill to have the kind of weather and scenery of the Gulf Coast!

Old 12-21-2018, 12:19 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,108,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The OMB currently qualifies any city that anchors a 2-million plus metro as "major". I'd agree with that...

There's literally no way to guess who will be relevant in a half-century, and who is relevant as a major city now but won't be in a half-century. No way at all...
Do you have the document/OMB Bulletin on your first sentence? I don't think OMB has a policy on what's a major metro.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:29 PM

5,551 posts, read 3,697,368 times
MSA's with populations currently between 700K, and 1 million and their growth rate since 2010. I am only including impressive growth rates here.

(ranked by current population)

1. Omaha, NB +7.85%
2. Greenville, SC +8.71%
3. McAllen, TX +11.09%
4. Northport/Sarasota, FL +14.58%
5. Charleston, SC +16.74
6. Cape Coral/Fort Meyers, FL +19.47%
7. Colorado Springs, CO +12.12%
8. Boise, ID +15.3%

Old 12-21-2018, 08:35 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,108,102 times
Don't know about specific cities, but areas that seem due for leveling up are the intermountain west and Alabama. I don't understand why there aren't big cities in either of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or