U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:09 AM

44,694 posts, read 36,132,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Good suggestion.

To the OP's list I would add:

Winston-Salem, NC
Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
Wilmington, NC
Charleston, SC
Huntsville, AL
Great list.

OP, be sure not to overlook Huntsville or Chattanooga especially! And TN doesn't have a state income tax. I'm just sayin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 08:13 AM

23,054 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSim View Post
Thank you very much for these. Any other thoughts?

What would be your top two recommendations?
1) town or small city near the mountains or the coast (or very close to lots of nature)
2) friendly people without prejudices
3) good food scene
4) not a ton of traffic
5) could support a corporate HR job and small/modest legal (lawyer)
6) good cost of living.

If it were me?

- Asheville (for the mountains)
- Charleston (for the shore)

IMO they are two of the best cities in the country. They have great reputations, to be sure, but they are well earned.

I should take this opportunity to plug my hometown of St. Simons Island, GA.

- Population 14K
- Part of a metro (Brunswick) of 100K
- Beach community
- LOW crime

My daughter and son-in-law(he's a NYC native) moved here a few years ago; he still can't get over how open and friendly people are here.

https://www.explorestsimonsisland.com/

Old 12-22-2018, 10:41 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,519,707 times
My personal 2 would be Greenville and Winston Salem. Both are very near the mountains. The ocean is 3.5 hours from WS to Wilmington and a little over 3 hours from Greenville to Charleston. They're not as inland as the TN cities.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:03 AM

4 posts, read 1,466 times
Thanks for all these responses. Simons Island stands out as an outlier. Certainly intriguing. Could such an area support the professional life we envision (corporate HR and small legal job)?

Most of the recommendations are for closer-to-the-mountain communities (2.5-5 hours from coast), which are great. I know nothing about thos various coastal/island communities off SC and GA coast.

Do any Southeast coastal communities fit the bill (hour or less to coast)? Any others we are missing?

Thanks.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:45 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,215,191 times
Columbia. Hour and a half to the beach. Hour and a half to the mountains....a great river system and beautiful Lake Murray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or