U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 1,466 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am looking to move from New Jersey (born and raised) to the Southeast. We are a couple in our late thirties, no kids. Wanting a change from cold winters and aggressive, unfriendly people (yes, there are too many of those in New Jersey).

Priorities are 1) town or small city near the mountains or the coast (or very close to lots of nature); 2) friendly people without prejudices; 3) good food scene, 4) not a ton of traffic, 5) could support a corporate HR job and small/modest legal (lawyer) job, and 6) good cost of living.

Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, Asheville are all possibilities, as well as Virginia Beach, Wilmington, Savannah etc. But I might be missing places - Trying to be a bit creative - donít know much about these areas. All I can say is that I was in school in Williamsburg Virginia, and based on that experience (slower pace, friendlier people), I fell in love with the south and always wanted to get back.

Thanks so much!! Happy holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 05:14 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Consider Greenville SC near the Blue Ridge in western SC.

VisitGreenvilleSC.com

Old 12-20-2018, 05:30 PM

23,058 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Consider Greenville SC near the Blue Ridge in western SC.

VisitGreenvilleSC.com
Good suggestion.

To the OP's list I would add:

Winston-Salem, NC
Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
Wilmington, NC
Charleston, SC
Huntsville, AL

Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,519,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Good suggestion.

To the OP's list I would add:

Winston-Salem, NC
Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
Wilmington, NC
Charleston, SC
Huntsville, AL
I would second all of these choices, including Greenville.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:44 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSim View Post
Hi there. I am looking to move from New Jersey (born and raised) to the Southeast. We are a couple in our late thirties, no kids. Wanting a change from cold winters and aggressive, unfriendly people (yes, there are too many of those in New Jersey).

Priorities are 1) town or small city near the mountains or the coast (or very close to lots of nature); 2) friendly people without prejudices; 3) good food scene, 4) not a ton of traffic, 5) could support a corporate HR job and small/modest legal (lawyer) job, and 6) good cost of living.
Another fit you might consider is Columbia SC which weirdly flies under the radar often in this forum when recommendations are asked for. Being the state capital, a major college town (U of South Carolina) and home to a large military base just outside of town (Fort Jackson), it's economy has been strong and on a significant upswing due in part to a cost of living below the national average.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:06 AM

23,058 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Another fit you might consider is Columbia SC which weirdly flies under the radar often in this forum when recommendations are asked for. Being the state capital, a major college town (U of South Carolina) and home to a large military base just outside of town (Fort Jackson), it's economy has been strong and on a significant upswing due in part to a cost of living below the national average.
I'm actually seeing Columbia receive more recognition on this forum as each year passes. I would have mentioned it except that I didn't deem it particularly close to sea or shore. But it's not particularly far, either. At any rate, it's worthy of a recommendation.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=34781512

Old 12-21-2018, 08:18 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

I can't speak to Columbia specifically, as I'm not familiar with it. But the OP did mention wanting to be near the coast or the mountains, and Columbia isn't really all that close to either of them.

I like the idea of Greenville, myself. Not that I'm familiar with that city either, but from what I've heard about it, it sounds like it would be a good fit for the OP. And it's close to the mountains.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I can't speak to Columbia specifically, as I'm not familiar with it. But the OP did mention wanting to be near the coast or the mountains, and Columbia isn't really all that close to either of them.
The OP also said "or very close to lots of nature". Columbia is 40 minutes from Congaree National Park which has the largest expanse of old growth hardwoods in the Southeast US, and is one of the few oldest in the US. https://www.nps.gov/cong/index.htm The Congaree River flows through Columbia and offers kayaking/canoeing, fishing and trail hiking along it's banks. https://www.americanrivers.org/river/congaree-river/ Lake Murray is a man-made 50,000 acre, 40 mile long lake that offers all kinds of outdoor recreation and is just 30 miles from Columbia. https://www.lakemurraycountry.com/ Otherwise Columbia is centrally located between the mountains and the beach, two hours to either which still makes day trips a pretty easy undertaking. In terms of supporting a corporate HR job search and providing opportunity for a small legal firm, I would say it arguably is at (or near) the top of the list of the other cities mentioned.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:11 AM

4 posts, read 1,466 times
Thank you very much for these. Any other thoughts?

What would be your top two recommendations?

Old 12-22-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for these. Any other thoughts?

What would be your top two recommendations?
From your original post weighed against criteria I would place the Raleigh area first (specifically the west side around Durham, Hillsborough and Chapel Hill), followed by Greensboro-Winston Salem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or