U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 06:54 AM

6,854 posts, read 7,802,585 times

Advertisements

Why on earth would tourist busses plying the streets of Philadelphia annoy me?

As for our own travels, one of the first things we do when we hit a new city is take one of the buses to get an overview - whatís located where, a rundown of the various neighborhoods and a little history to boot. Now oriented, we begin a more in depth investigation based on what interests us. We donít use the hop on/off service as the buses move too infrequently; we prefer walking anyway and use PT when needed to cover longer distances.

Weíve taken these busses all over the world. The one caveat I would offer is that they are a bit impractical in sunbelt cities with lots of traffic and sprawl. That said, I rarely find them even available in sprawly cities. I find sunbelt cities better explored by car since thatís what they were built for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 11:09 AM

4,485 posts, read 2,670,613 times
I'd rather walk everywhere, with an occasional train or taxi if things get out of hand.

You see the city more closely that way. Personally I tend to see much less of the tourist traps and more of the various other districts. If a street or hill or riverfront looks interesting along the way, that's where I go, particularly if it's shaded.

(At home, I live and work amidst tourist traps...those duck boats go by every three minutes in peak season...loud but I'm glad they're here.)

Old 12-22-2018, 12:33 PM

23,079 posts, read 35,035,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'd rather walk everywhere, with an occasional train or taxi if things get out of hand.

You see the city more closely that way. Personally I tend to see much less of the tourist traps and more of the various other districts. If a street or hill or riverfront looks interesting along the way, that's where I go, particularly if it's shaded.

(At home, I live and work amidst tourist traps...those duck boats go by every three minutes in peak season...loud but I'm glad they're here.)
mh, if you don't mind me asking, what part of Seattle are you in?

Old 12-22-2018, 12:54 PM

6,567 posts, read 3,664,491 times
My most recent experience in LA was that the traffic patterns are frustrating and thr car drivers might get exasperated with the tour busses every 30 minutes. We went past the same spote a couple times because the traffic pattern was restrictive.

Here in Albuquerque we have the Breaking Bad tour but it's in a vintage RV and drivers usually don't pay any attention since this is an RV town anyway. It's mostly the regular busses that are a pain.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
mh, if you don't mind me asking, what part of Seattle are you in?
Belltown

Old 12-22-2018, 01:56 PM

791 posts, read 1,052,558 times
I agree that I like them because you can cover a lot of territory and get a good overview of the city if you only have a short time to spend in the area.

They are also nice if you have young kids who just aren't up to walking a lot. After a certain point, it's just handy having someone else drive and tell you about the city and what you are looking it.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:04 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
I like the ones that stop and give tourists time to spend in various places. If the time is too short, one can always return and see more of the place in their own.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:01 AM

23,079 posts, read 35,035,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Belltown
Love it. I had you in Ballard for some reason.

I was a West Seattle girl (Alki). My husband grew up in Hawthorne Hills.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:49 AM

I lived in Ballard for five months once! Not many tour buses there, although the new Nordic Heritage Museum is apparently good, the locks are worth a visit, old Ballard is nice and still real, and about 3,500 new apartments have made its little Downtown far more vibrant than when I was there.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:29 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,558,872 times
I don't mind tourists at all in LA when ever I see the vans and buses I wave at them. Tourism is free money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or