U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 04:20 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,610,677 times

Advertisements

I often see an argument on C-D that the Northeast and the Midwest, especially the upper Midwest, are one in the same and should be considered one region. I always disagreed because the people are so different from each other. Looking at the what state do you belong in map this is clear. The Midwest is friendly and conventional while the Northeast is temperamental and uninhibited. I translate that as being uninhibited to be mean....while niceness is an important part of Midwestern culture. It's interesting that even the more rural northern New England states have the same temperamental and uninhibited personality types that can be found in the urban areas of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 04:28 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,017,968 times
The areas that are unshaded (in white) look the ones are where people marry right out of high school.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:56 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,021,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The areas that are unshaded (in white) look the ones are where people marry right out of high school.
That's quite an assumption. I don't know anyone who has ever married just out of high school. Also, the areas that are white, look to be very rural areas, with small towns, at best. These areas aren't going to show up with any color. That makes much more sense, than to assume everyone in those areas marries out of high school.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:59 AM

498 posts, read 147,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I often see an argument on C-D that the Northeast and the Midwest, especially the upper Midwest, are one in the same and should be considered one region. I always disagreed because the people are so different from each other. Looking at the what state do you belong in map this is clear. The Midwest is friendly and conventional while the Northeast is temperamental and uninhibited. I translate that as being uninhibited to be mean....while niceness is an important part of Midwestern culture. It's interesting that even the more rural northern New England states have the same temperamental and uninhibited personality types that can be found in the urban areas of the region.
I'd say it has more to do with "anything goes". At least in Vermont, it doesn't matter how you spend your time so long as you're a good neighbor. We have some pretty weird people.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:29 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,261,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I'd say it has more to do with "anything goes". At least in Vermont, it doesn't matter how you spend your time so long as you're a good neighbor. We have some pretty weird people.
I'll agree with that

Vermont has it's own unique 'vibe' no matter where you go in the state. I traveled all over the state extensively and frequently for a former job and found it had a quirky yet friendly feel and a sort of artsy vibe. I really enjoyed it and wanted to move there but my career path went a totally different direction unfortunately.

Vermont doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of New England in many ways though there are a few commonalities. It's kind of an outlier but that's okay with me. I find the eccentrics to be interesting and am still in contact with many of the people I met and befriended in Vermont.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:12 PM

224 posts, read 114,285 times
Quote:
I often see an argument on C-D that the Northeast and the Midwest, especially the upper Midwest, are one in the same and should be considered one region.
It's because they've never resided in both places. Maybe never even visited. Probably just read about them on the internet...As a born and raised Northeastern living in the upper Midwest, it is clear to me that they really are very different.

Quote:
The Midwest is friendly and conventional while the Northeast is temperamental and uninhibited. I translate that as being uninhibited to be mean.
I don't know why you'd think that. (See, I smiled...I'm such a nice Northeastern).

Old 12-27-2018, 08:30 PM

23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
It's your standard/red blue map. I live near the little piece of southwest Virginia that is about the darkest color of conventional on the map.

I'm from this area, and there is an extreme cultural conservatism everywhere here but the town with a university. We're not talking necessarily about political conservatism, but a borderline extreme aversion to change or anything new.

Multiple restaurants and retail establishments have bypassed my hometown. Why? The town is too culturally conservative to support anything new, even if the demographics otherwise line up.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:35 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,173,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Social "science" rankings and such, especially in terms of what constitutes "openness", is so wildly left up to interpretation and stereotyping that it's more novelty than even fact by a long shot.
The five-factor personality model is very well established in the psychological literature, and not just in humans.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...or+personality

"Science [is] true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 AM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
It's because they've never resided in both places. Maybe never even visited. Probably just read about them on the internet...As a born and raised Northeastern living in the upper Midwest, it is clear to me that they really are very different.

I don't know why you'd think that. (See, I smiled...I'm such a nice Northeastern).
The main commonalities between the interior Northeast and the Upper Midwest is abundance of lakes, similar tree types, and four distinct seasons. Beyond those factors, the similarities fade.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:43 AM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's your standard/red blue map. I live near the little piece of southwest Virginia that is about the darkest color of conventional on the map.

I'm from this area, and there is an extreme cultural conservatism everywhere here but the town with a university. We're not talking necessarily about political conservatism, but a borderline extreme aversion to change or anything new.

Multiple restaurants and retail establishments have bypassed my hometown. Why? The town is too culturally conservative to support anything new, even if the demographics otherwise line up.
The very conventional areas tend to all have stagnant or declining populations and economic growth below the areas that rate higher in the openness to experience category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or