U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 05:15 PM

5,915 posts, read 6,340,450 times

Advertisements

Downeast Maine, Washington county is the poorest in New England and the size of Rhode Island and Delaware combined, the biggest city has under 3000 people but it's a natural paradise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 05:16 PM

56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I get why you were answering but thought it would be good to have the OP reconsider their methodology as finding the poorest areas to live in doesn't account for how one is supposed to survive there. The Rust Belt at the very least has the economic infrastructure in place for employment options that pay a decent enough wage versus some of these places in the South which have never had anything and where getting by only exists largely through federal assistance.
No argument from me, but those places do fit the initial question. That’s all.

What could also work is if one lived in such an area, but have access to a bigger area like Memphis, Jackson, Huntington or Charleston WV, Knoxville TN, etc.

Just another thing to consider is that college towns can “artificially” have a high poverty rate. A lot of this is due to college students living in off campus housing.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-22-2018 at 05:34 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 09:00 PM

431 posts, read 189,731 times
Doesn't meet your guidelines, but the WV-Va border is incredibly beautiful but extremely poor. Mountainside towns that are run down to ramshackle. It's sad.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:31 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,344,313 times
Hmmmm why do you want to move there???????

- southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky especially McDowell, Mingo, and Logan Counties in West Virginia due to the war on coal during the obama years. Even Walmart's closed in McDowell County

- Detroit

- South Side of Chicago

- Baltimore (most of the city limits with few exceptions)

- Gary, Indiana and nearby places

- Camden, New Jersey

- East St. Louis, Illinois (and large chunks of STL itself)

- South Bronx

- Most of the Rio Grande Valley including Laredo

Old 12-28-2018, 10:34 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,344,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Here in Alabama itís going to be the counties with the highest black populations (Bullock, Dallas, Lowndes,etc..).
True for Louisiana too, some of the rural black parishes along with North Baton Rouge and inner city New Orleans. These areas drag down the stats for both our states.......everyone around me here in suburban BR lives a normal regular American life like anywhere else.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:06 PM

1,232 posts, read 512,204 times
Donít take this the wrong way, but the way I see it you either have zero aspiration in life, or youíre looking to exploit the poor, if youíre truly looking to move to said place. I canít imagine any other reason someone would ask this question? I guess it could be that you want to help as many people as possible, but I doubt that. More than likely youíre looking for people to bag on certain areas. So why is it that you want to move there?

Old 12-29-2018, 04:57 AM

558 posts, read 317,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Hmmmm why do you want to move there???????

- southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky especially McDowell, Mingo, and Logan Counties in West Virginia due to the war on coal during the obama years. Even Walmart's closed in McDowell County
The war on coal during the obama years. Chuckle. Actually these areas are thriving now with new construction and jobs galore. Trump + GOP Senate + GOP House = magic. It's a Christmas miracle.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:39 AM

186 posts, read 103,692 times
I got the PNW: Butte and Great Falls Montana are both pretty tired. Spokane and Yakima Washington probably fit the criteria listed. I can think of a ton of depressed small towns, but not many metros.

There is not a lot of big cities that are out and out poor. As other posters have already stated, most big city wealth and lack thereof are very regional.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:19 PM

23,650 posts, read 17,615,071 times
I'm from Appalachia.

I used to work in southwest Virginia. Many of these counties are the poorest in the country aside from a few in adjacent southern WV, eastern KY, and certain Native American reservations.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 1,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Detroit.
Detroit does not qualify at all since it is a rather wealthy metropolis. Regions like the deep south and Appalachia or Ohio river valley are America's hopeless poverty centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.