U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:21 PM

2,901 posts, read 2,016,411 times

Advertisements

Nobody mentioned an obvious one: NYC/metro area and Miami/South Florida.... in fact, Miami is often times referred to as the 6th borough.

https://www.ashleydortch.com/miami-sixth-borough/

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/5-rea...152144277.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 05:52 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,969,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I have Denver and California because of all the California transplants that have flooded into Colorado in recent years and completely transformed Colorado's culture and politics. Not saying its a good relationship but its a close one. I see Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington as being colonized by California transplants.
Before we know it, the Great Plains will become the last frontier.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:27 AM

6 posts, read 2,261 times
El Paso, Texas - Cuidad Juárez, Chihuahua - Sunland Park, New Mexico - Ysleta del Sur Pueblo
Presidio, Texas - Ojinaga, Chihuahua
Del Rio, Texas - Cuidad Acuña, Coahuila
Eagle Pass, Texas - Piedras Negras, Coahuila
Laredo, Texas - Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas
McAllen, Texas - Reynosa, Tamaulipas
Browsnville, Texas - Matamoros, Tamaulipas

Old 01-11-2019, 08:36 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Coming from one of the far western counties of Pennsylvania, Beaver Co., which has a border with Ohio and West Virginia, I find it odd to think of Penn State as "western PA". In any event, people from all over PA go to Penn State.

state college is practically the geographic mid point of PA, both N/S and E/W

the DC area is however loaded with PSU grads, as is NYC and obviously Philly

In terms of big land grant schools PSU has a large representation in all the NE cities

PSU also has a surprisingly large number of grads in the LA area

Its grads are much more NE and WC focused than other big ten schools; PSU (MD, and Rutgers) are the Midwest outliers for the big ten

Old 01-11-2019, 02:00 PM

299 posts, read 159,910 times
Oklahoma (OK City) - D/FW - Houston
D/FW - Houston - Louisiana (New Orleans)
Lots!! of back and forth among-est the above with the exception of Oklahoma - Louisiana
Odessa - Midland

Old 01-13-2019, 06:55 AM

44,884 posts, read 36,203,761 times
I would say:

Houston and New Orleans
Dallas and Fort Worth
Dallas and OKC
Memphis and Little Rock
Indianapolis and Dayton
Indianapolis and St. Louis

Old 01-13-2019, 07:57 AM

754 posts, read 257,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
state college is practically the geographic mid point of PA, both N/S and E/W

the DC area is however loaded with PSU grads, as is NYC and obviously Philly

In terms of big land grant schools PSU has a large representation in all the NE cities

PSU also has a surprisingly large number of grads in the LA area

Its grads are much more NE and WC focused than other big ten schools; PSU (MD, and Rutgers) are the Midwest outliers for the big ten

I see Michigan and perhaps even OSU stuff as much here in the DMV as I see PSU stuff. Other traditional Big Ten schools are definitely less common though. Michigan has a ton of students from the East Coast, but this is also simply a place with a high density of college grads.

The schools - aside from the schools actually based in the DMV incl Maryland - that I would say definitely stand out as having more of a 'local' following are VT, UVA and WVU. A *lot* of Mountaineers around the D.C. area. It surprised me when I got here.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:10 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I see Michigan and perhaps even OSU stuff as much here in the DMV as I see PSU stuff. Other traditional Big Ten schools are definitely less common though. Michigan has a ton of students from the East Coast, but this is also simply a place with a high density of college grads.

The schools - aside from the schools actually based in the DMV incl Maryland - that I would say definitely stand out as having more of a 'local' following are VT, UVA and WVU. A *lot* of Mountaineers around the D.C. area. It surprised me when I got here.

WVU gets a lot of east coast students; a better school than most realize and good engineering program

OSU and MI make sense though when I lived there I saw more PSU (then again I went to PSU so maybe noted it more)

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/where-g...after-college/

The above would suggest more PSU than MI or OSU in DC (Actually as much OSU and MI in Philly as in DC)

actually a sort of interesting tool above

I know MI is popular destination on the east coast and one of if not the best large land grant schools in the country (PSU and OSU are no slouches either but MI def has a little more cache)

As an aside, for WVU Pittsburgh (top not surprisingly as WVU is pretty close to the burgh) followed by NYC, Philly then DC are the top destinations for grads from WVU

Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,205,866 times
Surprised no one has mentioned Toronto-Buffalo yet.

The cities' media markets overlap with Buffalo and Toronto sharing the dial and customers (and advertisers), there is even a shared TV station (PBS), Canadians regularly fill the malls in Buffalo, many Canadians support Buffalo sports teams (the Bills played TO games several years ago), the AAA Buffalo Bisons are the Blue Jays' farm team, there are millions of Canadians using low cost travel through Buffalo airport, Americans take day trips to Toronto and have summer cottages in Canada, and of course Niagara Falls is a shared resource. The Canadian flag is seen paired with the US flag in front of Buffalo City Hall and many other places around town. Tim Horton's is the largest donut chain in Buffalo (Horton was even a Buffalo Sabre when he died), and it is not uncommon to see poutine in the Buffalo area.

In some renderings Buffalo-Niagara Falls NY is even included as part of the Golden Horseshoe mega-region, with the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) highway between Buffalo and Toronto forming the spine. On a clear day one can see both Buffalo and Toronto skylines from the hotels and towers of Niagara Falls.

Last edited by RocketSci; 01-13-2019 at 08:42 AM..

Old 01-13-2019, 09:48 AM

2,901 posts, read 2,016,411 times
San Diego and Tijuana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.