U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 12:09 PM

424 posts, read 185,644 times

Advertisements

Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 01:58 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times
I'm sure this applies to many. There is a lot of anciness and frustration with people these days, along with a lot of people moving and in motion to new locations.

Being tired of a location can lead to foolish changes though. I'm more concerned with those who move to a different location and find culture shock and the grass much less "greener" on the new side of the fence, than just simple frustration in a current location. I've experienced both, and would gladly return to my former location that I made seem so bad at the time. I now recognize all the great qualities that it had/has (but I refused to see).

Old 12-26-2018, 03:19 PM

17,662 posts, read 4,058,482 times
I am so tired of living in Midland, Texas.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 702,434 times
I've only been here in Reno for a couple months, so there's still some stuff I haven't seen.

I will say that I wanted to see what living in a smaller city was like, and I've decided it's not for me. It's too hard to find people I have much in common with, and I like exploring different neighborhoods and suburbs of cities but there just aren't that many here. The next time I'm looking for work, I think I'm gonna restrict my search to jobs in metros of >2 million people.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:24 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,363,427 times
I like the DC area but I also grew up here. It's a nice area with a lot to offer and part of what keeps me here is it's hard to find a lot of the things that are important to me in other areas but right now I'm in the process of possibly moving to NYC (Manhattan). Hopefully everything pans out so we'll see.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:00 PM

941 posts, read 412,807 times
The suburb in NJ where I live is very "cookie-cutterish" (except there are some things that don't make it 100% a cookie cutter town). The town I live in makes me "bored" of living in NJ, but this summer, I drove around to other neighborhoods in NJ and realized that NJ has more things to offer than my generic boring town. My town doesn't have anything cool. All it has is strip malls with chain places you get anywhere, fast food chains, Costco (my town does not have a regular grocery store!), typical suburban pizzeria, a generic
(and dinky) park with a boring hiking trail, a small undocumented dumpy park that children don't use, a bowling alley, no bars, no nightlife, and only has a few unique ethnic restaurants. My town is bleh. There are better things in NJ than my town. Once you leave my town, you won't get bored of NJ. There are some nice towns like Morristown and Boonton that have walkable downtowns and I love the woods in Boonton with Pyramid Mountain!
Before this summer, and ever since I knew how to drive (I'm 20 and got my license at 17), all I pretty much did was drive around my town, the arboretum and Walmart in another town, the mall in the town next to me, the mall a few towns away from me, a larger mall in two counties away from me, but pretty much nowhere else.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:22 PM

2,506 posts, read 2,265,374 times
Whenever I get bored with where I live, I just move. Hometown is the DC area in Fairfax/Montgomery Counties and I've lived in DC, SF, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC, Charlottesville, shorter stints if a few other cities like Boston, Jacksonville, Denver, Seattle and a few places abroad like Seoul, Lisbon, Bogota and no my parents are not well off and yes I either transferred with work or got a new job every time.

I figure I have the rest of my life to stay in one place when I get older and should try new places while it's physically still easy for me to do so.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:03 PM

34 posts, read 18,566 times
My wife and I live in temple Texas and we’re not too impressed. We’ve been here for 6 months and not one person that we work with have ever been inviting enough to want to begin a friendship of any sorts. We’re looking for cities that are much more friendly/inviting to newcomers. We have tried forming a circle of friends anywhere we’ve ever been but can’t seem to find any. We’re also discovering just how much we get frustrated over ignorance and complacency in society. People these days seem to walk around like they’re entitled to the air they breathe, the earth they walk on, and the space they take up, and act like nobody around them matters. So now we’re beginning to research areas that are classified as friendly areas, so we can begin vacationing in these areas to see just how friendly the local people are.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 PM

224 posts, read 113,809 times
I was. Then I moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorm41 View Post
My wife and I live in temple Texas and we’re not too impressed. We’ve been here for 6 months and not one person that we work with have ever been inviting enough to want to begin a friendship of any sorts.
That's really interesting to me because normally I hear about how Texas is welcoming and easy to make friends.

I've moved a few times and I'd just caution with visiting; when it comes to this, it's different from daily living. I can be reserved with people I don't know (and my hometown has a rep for being this way) but I tend to make friends with colleagues and others I see regularly.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:16 AM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
My entire time in Maryland I was dying to get out.

Now I'm back in Louisiana and very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.