U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 06:01 PM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times

Advertisements

How long is "several days"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 06:06 PM

11 posts, read 2,342 times
Starts Friday early morning, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and maybe Wednesday as well, we don't know yet.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:35 AM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_name_is View Post
I've never been to Nashville, and would love to visit. NOLA weather is nothing but rain for the next several days.
I'm afraid that's the forecast for the entire SE US through Sunday.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:36 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
The Dells

Old 12-27-2018, 09:32 AM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Maybe San Antonio -- mostly interstate with stops in KC and OKC.
It would be dry when you get there.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:40 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_name_is View Post
Weekend looks dry in Nashville. What is it like to drive through Mississippi to New Orleans?
I wouldn't drive through Mississippi - not because it's unsafe but because it just wouldn't be appealing to me. Personally I'd either go through Nashville and then Birmingham, or I'd go through Memphis to Little Rock and stop in Memphis (Beale Street and Graceland) and then Hot Springs, AR and then drive down through Alexandria, Baton Rouge and into New Orleans. That way you could also spend a few hours in Natchitoches, LA which is a cool place.

If you go to New Orleans, be sure you take the River Road and tour some plantations. Poignant reminders of a lost era in history.

Good luck! I haven't read the whole thread but hopefully I'm not repeating stuff or too late to be of any help.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:41 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
I also recommend that maybe you take in Fort Worth and then the Texas Hill Country and San Antonio as an alternate plan.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:28 AM

11 posts, read 2,342 times
A trip to TX would be definitely a nice trip.

Fort Worth and San Antonio like 15 to 20 hours from here. Isn't that too far for a 5-6 day trip? So we spend Friday night in KCMO and Saturday night in OKC. And we are in either Forth Worth or San Antonio by Sunday night. Then we need a couple of days to get back. I am not sure if that will work. Or maybe straight from KC to Fort Worth without spending time in OKC?

Which one is better to spend New Year's eve and day Fort Worth or San Antonio?

Old 12-27-2018, 10:34 AM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wouldn't drive through Mississippi - not because it's unsafe but because it just wouldn't be appealing to me. Personally I'd either go through Nashville and then Birmingham, or I'd go through Memphis to Little Rock and stop in Memphis (Beale Street and Graceland) and then Hot Springs, AR and then drive down through Alexandria, Baton Rouge and into New Orleans. That way you could also spend a few hours in Natchitoches, LA which is a cool place.

If you go to New Orleans, be sure you take the River Road and tour some plantations. Poignant reminders of a lost era in history.

Good luck! I haven't read the whole thread but hopefully I'm not repeating stuff or too late to be of any help.
We actually had a great time driving the Natchez Trace. We're history buffs, so Natchez and Vicksburg were especially memorable. There's a wonderful bookstore in Jackson as well.

https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/?...8aAmWdEALw_wcB

https://www.lemuriabooks.com/

Old 12-27-2018, 10:39 AM

773 posts, read 839,621 times
The usual suspects for nice weather: the southern half of Florida, Southern California, southern Nevada and Arizona.

Well the US is dominated by a comma-shaped storm system with the head over Kansas/Nebraska and the tail over the lower Mississippi region, and it looks like the storm is moving pretty slowly right now. That said, I'd pick the far southwest right now. Southern California is where I'd go for the best weather, with days of sunshine in the 60s expected into the New Year. Cities like San Francisco, Phoenix and Las Vegas look to be sunny in the pleasantly crisp 50s, cool enough to get into the spirit of the season without being too chilly.

My pick for those in the east would be southwest Florida also looks like a nice place to travel as well if you want warm weather, though most of Central/South FL looks pretty good outside of a small chance of rain until Saturday. The the OP, you could still stop at many of the same cities along the way others have described. The catch is that this a prime week for many resorts in Florida (and in a lot of the Southwest that I've mentioned), a combination of families, winter escapes, and holiday time off). At least outside the northern plains and parts of the Rockies, snow isn't too much of a threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or