Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_name_is View Post
A trip to TX would be definitely a nice trip.

Fort Worth and San Antonio like 15 to 20 hours from here. Isn't that too far for a 5-6 day trip? So we spend Friday night in KCMO and Saturday night in OKC. And we are in either Forth Worth or San Antonio by Sunday night. Then we need a couple of days to get back. I am not sure if that will work. Or maybe straight from KC to Fort Worth without spending time in OKC?

Which one is better to spend New Year's eve and day Fort Worth or San Antonio?
I would make Dallas the destination. Idk the specific celebrations they have, but it's a large metro. There have to be numerous fun things to do on NYE. I would make Kansas City a stop on the way down and STL a stop on the way up if you decide on Dallas. Obviously, though, New Orleans will be way more fun regardless of the weather because...well...it's New Orleans and it's always a party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 03:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
A trip to TX would be definitely a nice trip.

Fort Worth and San Antonio like 15 to 20 hours from here. Isn't that too far for a 5-6 day trip? So we spend Friday night in KCMO and Saturday night in OKC. And we are in either Forth Worth or San Antonio by Sunday night. Then we need a couple of days to get back. I am not sure if that will work. Or maybe straight from KC to Fort Worth without spending time in OKC?

Which one is better to spend New Year's eve and day Fort Worth or San Antonio?
Oh I am a sucker for the Stockyards in Fort Worth, and it's a lot closer (seems as close as New Orleans to you, right?). But San Antonio has the Alamo and the beautiful riverwalk which is really pretty this time of year. Fort Worth would be a definite "cowboy experience" while San Antonio would be more of a Tex Mex experience, if that makes sense.

I would not spend time in OKC. I'm sure it's got some lovely things to do but I've been there several times and it's just not a riveting destination in my opinion.

OP any chance you could just fly into DFW and rent a car and toodle around rather than driving down?

Old 12-27-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I would make Dallas the destination. Idk the specific celebrations they have, but it's a large metro. There have to be numerous fun things to do on NYE. I would make Kansas City a stop on the way down and STL a stop on the way up if you decide on Dallas. Obviously, though, New Orleans will be way more fun regardless of the weather because...well...it's New Orleans and it's always a party.
Laissez les bon temps rouler!

And the New Orleans Saints are kicking some football tail right now, so the OP might want to be sure they are NOT in New Orleans on December 30th when they are playing in New Orleans. It's a mad house. But then again, they might like it. Good luck finding a hotel though between the game and New Years Eve.

But New Orleans is a mad house in general. I love that city!

Old 12-27-2018, 05:18 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
That little bit of snow we were supposed to get (in NM) is turning into a blizzard and will be moving east by Saturday night. Watch the weather if you are driving.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:48 PM

11 posts, read 5,035 times
Thanks a lot for the delightful responses.

San Francisco, Phoenix and Las Vegas are too far for 6-day road trip. Maybe next time when we’ve got more days off. We went to FL 3 times the last couple of years. Last road trip there was remarkable. We had a blast.
You guys made TX a marvelous choice. There are 4 hours between Dallas to San Antonio. So, Dallas and Fort Worth would be closer.
Definitely not flying, it gets really crazy at the airports this time of the year. Delays and all that, and we have been there. Besides, I bought brand new car a few weeks ago, and I am crazy about it. Can’t leave it alone LOL

Old 12-28-2018, 06:03 PM

Thank you all. We will hit the road in the morning.

Just one last question. Would you stop in Des Monies? Is there anything we should do there or see on our way?

Old 12-28-2018, 06:05 PM

Oops! I misspelled Des Moines.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Oops! I misspelled Des Moines.
No worries, and I have never been there so I can't comment. My son in law is from there and he thinks it's a boring place but you know how some people are about where they grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.