U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 10:55 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,070,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
Pretty much anything below 45 I can't really tolerate too well. But even anything in the 50s is too cold if there is high wind and low humidity.
well it gets colder than 45 in Missouri.Id stick to Florida,maybe parts of Texas like Houston,Arizona,maybe Vegas.Texas,Nevada, and Florida have no state tax. Arizona has a state tax but its not as high as New York.Best of luck to you,OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 11:04 PM

237 posts, read 101,366 times
I've been thinking about moving out in the summer to fall. Definitely before winter comes back. But when do you suggest I move?

Old 12-27-2018, 11:09 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,070,124 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about moving out in the summer to fall. Definitely before winter comes back. But when do you suggest I move?
I think that should be okay..

Old 12-27-2018, 11:53 PM

22,145 posts, read 23,656,611 times
I would worry less about income tax specifically and instead consider overall cost of living (including taxes) versus the going wage and the overall job market for your line of work. This forum might not get you the best info for the job related parts, but you might want to seek out other forums, resources or acquaintances in your line specific to your line of work. That ratio coupled with the absolute amount you’d have of your wages after costs might be especially important if your student loans are significant because those would be a fixed amount no matter where you go.

In regards to lowest temperatures being around 45 F, that’s essentially puts you, for the US states, in just Hawaii, the lower two-thirds of California, the Southwest, areas close to or on the Gulf Coast, Florida and there’s only about a dozen and a half metropolitan areas in the US of about million people or more within that area which narrows the search quite a bit.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-28-2018 at 12:21 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 05:25 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
Pretty much anything below 45 I can't really tolerate too well. But even anything in the 50s is too cold if there is high wind and low humidity.
Ugh, then the Midwest is definitely out if you can't handle that. If you're into the arts you might take a look at St Petersburg FL. It's a thriving city on Tampa Bay with an active downtown/nightlife and close to beaches as well as neighboring Tampa. http://www.stpete.org/

St Pete as it's known has a big arts community and is well known for it.
https://www.visitstpeteclearwater.co...o/arts-culture

You can find some affordable apartments in/around downtown St Pete that are pretty safe areas as well.
https://hotpads.com/saint-petersburg...e=500-900&z=15

Old 12-28-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I would worry less about income tax specifically and instead consider overall cost of living (including taxes) versus the going wage and the overall job market for your line of work. This forum might not get you the best info for the job related parts, but you might want to seek out other forums, resources or acquaintances in your line specific to your line of work. That ratio coupled with the absolute amount you’d have of your wages after costs might be especially important if your student loans are significant because those would be a fixed amount no matter where you go.

In regards to lowest temperatures being around 45 F, that’s essentially puts you, for the US states, in just Hawaii, the lower two-thirds of California, the Southwest, areas close to or on the Gulf Coast, Florida and there’s only about a dozen and a half metropolitan areas in the US of about million people or more within that area which narrows the search quite a bit.
True. I have no issue with living in the aforementioned states. I have visited Hawaii and while it is lovely I am going to leave it off the table for now. But apparently Florida and Texas are good places for an LPN. I am going to do further research in each state I am considering moving to. I really think that reducing taxes is a start. I am finding that there's places outside of nyc that are cheaper to live in and pay better wages than in nyc. I suppose I'll start there.

A lot of people are suggesting St. Pete's and I will highly consider moving there. But since I live in nyc currently I don't own a car and have never. And I've got a driver's permit but I am going to be working on my driver's license in January (maybe not an ideal time but I will start early next year). Should I buy a car in Florida after I move or get a used one up here and drive to Florida? (Or really any other place I decide to move?)

Thanks all!

Old 12-29-2018, 10:24 PM

427 posts, read 186,784 times
I was conversing with a nurse a few months back and she spoke at length about missing Arizona, particularly all the benefits to working as a nurse there. She also warned about not hiking in the heat, or it'll kill you. That's all I recall.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:07 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
A lot of people are suggesting St. Pete's and I will highly consider moving there. But since I live in nyc currently I don't own a car and have never. And I've got a driver's permit but I am going to be working on my driver's license in January (maybe not an ideal time but I will start early next year). Should I buy a car in Florida after I move or get a used one up here and drive to Florida? (Or really any other place I decide to move?)
I would suggest moving/driving down in a U-Haul truck or van and buying a car once in Florida, especially if considering a used car versus new car. The winters are tough on cars with all of the salt applied to roadways for de-icing. CarMax is an excellent option that provides quality used cars at good prices and all kinds of options to choose from. They have a location in neighboring Clearwater (right next to St Pete). https://www.carmax.com/stores/7172

Old 12-31-2018, 10:52 PM

So now I am debating on going to WA state. I am all over the place! I think the wages for LPNs aren't too good there inspite of the low taxes. I still have several months to gain more nursing experience and saving up money til I know for sure.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:35 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times
Any medium sized city outside of the colder regions that has a large medical university would probably fit. Plus state universities tend to have good benefits and help pay for you to continue your education at their institution. Richmond w VCU would be one option as VCU has a strong nursing program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.