U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:38 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,370,424 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville - last was there when I was 18 and witnessed an armed robbery. Lacked the capacity to judge. Never been back.

Minneapolis - on my bucket list but have never been.

Austin - again on my bucket list but have never been.

Miami - what can I say? I grew up in the Midwest. We don’t go to Miami, we prefer the Gulf Coast. But I know enough to know it’s worth a visit.

Charlotte - meh, never been, if I never do I won’t count myself deprived.

Raleigh/Durham - meh. See Charlotte

Atlanta - meh. I’m slightly more interested in visiting but nothing I’ve read on here nor researched nor seen in the media makes me chomp at the bits to visit. Maybe work will make me go one day, otherwise I probably wouldn’t go. Too many other places to visit or visit twice.

New Orleans - need to go.

Obviously there’s a trend here - the Southeast. Very low priority metros to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 09:59 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,197,704 times
Dallas: Aside from a stop at the airport, no idea. I'd love to visit, but the S.O. isn't too excited about it, and no work-related opportunities have come up.

Houston: I'd love to visit, and I have a friend at Rice University, but it just hasn't been a priority. If a work-related event comes up, I can squeeze a visit in, but otherwise, it will remain on my list for a while.

Miami: I've been to just about every part of Florida except the southeast/Miami area. But that will change in March-- I have a 10-day visit planned.

Riverside/Inland Empire: It would be interesting to see this area, but I don't have a particularly compelling reason to go.

Seattle:
Well, I visited Seattle when I was 10 years old (family trip), but I'm over 50 now and think maybe I should visit again. It will happen in the next couple of years.

Baltimore:
For some reason, I never got to Baltimore, but I'd love to visit.

Charlotte: Other than the airport, never spent time in Charlotte. Should do that one of these days.

Portland, OR: Need to visit--the first and last time was when i was 10 years old (same with Seattle), but would like to see it now.

Pittsburgh: I've been to Pittsburgh a couple of times, but always with other people with their own agendas. I'd love visit on my own terms, with my own list of places to see.

Virginia Beach: I really have no concept of this place--what it's about.

Oklahoma City: I enjoyed Tulsa, but never made it to Oklahoma City. Would like to see what it looks like.

Richmond, VA:
Never visited, and hasn't been much on my radar, but would love to visit it.

Grand Rapids, MI: I know a lot of people from there, but have never visited. Would like to see it.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:07 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Obviously there’s a trend here - the Southeast. Very low priority metros to visit.
Same for me. I know that sucks, but I feel that I've already visited most everywhere I care to (within the US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Riverside/Inland Empire: It would be interesting to see this area, but I don't have a particularly compelling reason to go.
It's like more of Los Angeles, but with a semi-Central Valley CA feeling. I'm native to this area, some of the vistas across the valleys, looking towards the mountains and over the palms are absolutely breathtaking; but really all there is to do is sit in traffic, eat, and shop. I still love many aspects of the overall culture there (fast food, Latino, shorts weather all year), but don't miss the lifestyle. Find something to do in Los Angeles or San Diego, and at least go see it for seeing it's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Seattle: Well, I visited Seattle when I was 10 years old (family trip), but I'm over 50 now and think maybe I should visit again. It will happen in the next couple of years.

Portland, OR: Need to visit--the first and last time was when i was 10 years old (same with Seattle), but would like to see it now.
They were probably pretty awesome 40+ years ago, they still are in their own ways, but most would probably prefer the versions you got to see.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:42 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Most of mine are in the Upper Midwest it seems perhaps because its just not that touristy. Indianapolis and Omaha are probably the largest cities people don't think about much. I found Lower Midwest cities like St. Louis and Kansas City to be cool though. I AM fascinated with Chicago and would be cool to visit someday, I just know it from the airport and from movies and the news.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:49 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Most of mine are in the Upper Midwest it seems perhaps because its just not that touristy. Indianapolis and Omaha are probably the largest cities people don't think about much. I found Lower Midwest cities like St. Louis and Kansas City to be cool though. I AM fascinated with Chicago and would be cool to visit someday, I just know it from the airport and from movies and the news.
Do it. Chicago is mind-blowingly awesome, even in unexpected ways.

I agree with you about KC and STL, I really like both of them.

And LOL, I too have never been to Indianapolis or Omaha.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:42 AM

494 posts, read 254,858 times
Most Midwestern cities are of little interest to me. I have this decaying rustbelt image stuck in my head and so I have had no desire to go. I know that has changed a ton in recent years and so I need to go check out some areas up there. An exception to that would be Chicago, as I have family there and go on occasion. The times I have been to Chicago, the atmosphere and energy in the city is incredible, 2nd only to NYC. Mainly I focus on the East Coast, SE, and the West Coast.

Cities I have little knowledge on:

Detroit, MI
Milwaukee, WI
St. Louis, MO
Cleveland, OH

Also, the SW I have little knowledge on as well, areas such as:

El Paso, TX
Albuquerque, NM
Tucson, AZ
Phoenix, AZ

Old 12-30-2018, 11:51 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,309,145 times
Orlando: I’ve only been there to go to Disney and Universal, so I know nothing about the “real” Orlando

Old 12-30-2018, 11:52 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,774,987 times
Good topic!

I've been to 40 of the 50 states, not counting airports only-been to airports in WA, NV, IL (still have WA, NV, ND, SD, NE, VT, WI, IA, IL, IN to go).

I have yet to explore--

Indianapolis

Chicago

Seattle

Las Vegas

Milwaukee

Des Moines

Omaha

Sacramento

And many more, but those are the major city players I have to visit.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:23 PM

5,612 posts, read 6,093,359 times
I would love to know more about Flagstaff Az and Mobile Al.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:35 PM

798 posts, read 291,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Orlando: I’ve only been there to go to Disney and Universal, so I know nothing about the “real” Orlando
That is the real Orlando. The rest is just background noise until you get to the Castle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or