U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 11:59 AM

1,514 posts, read 681,517 times

Advertisements

San Antonio
Dallas
New Orleans
Memphis
Atlanta
Charlotte
Richmond
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Minneapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 02:01 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,463,127 times
Never been to any metros in these states, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of them:
North Carolina
Alabama
Missisippi
Arkansas
Missouri
Indiana
Kentucky
Tennessee
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
North and South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Idaho
Oregon

Also never been to Houston, San Antonio, Sacramento

Old 01-07-2019, 10:27 PM

1,505 posts, read 523,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
- Indianapolis (just driven through)

- San Jose, California

- Sacramento

- Tucson

- Des Moines

- Milwaukee (just know a lot of beer comes from there)

- anything in New England outside of Boston

- Tulsa

- Omaha

- Columbia, South Carolina (driven through on the way to Charleston which is much more famous despite being slightly smaller)

- Augusta, Georgia

- Jacksonville

- Oklahoma City

- Minneapolis

There's also some that I don't know a lot about but find interesting like Tampa Bay and San Antonio (Alamo is one my bucket list)
Take it from a Californian that Sacramento has brutal heat that will make anything in Louisiana look like a cake walk. Also, Sacramento is very overrated. It's got a lot of hype, but that's just because it's in California, and any city in California (even Fresno) is automatically assumed to be cool.

For a truly underrated corner of California, try Irvine and South Orange County, an hour outside of Los Angeles. You won't be disappointed!

Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,508,813 times
San Diego -- never been there; not much for a person with my interests (railroad and heavy-industry buff)
all of Alaska, Hawaii, Maine
Idaho (except Northern panhandle and Idaho Falls/Pocatello)
Houston and San Antonio (just passing through at night)
Savannah, GA (just passing through)
Austin, TX
Montgomery, AL

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-07-2019 at 11:08 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 07:18 AM

3,811 posts, read 3,307,478 times
if it isnít on the east or west coast, I know nothing about it. Iím more familiar with Europe and South America than I am the rest of the country.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
if it isn’t on the east or west coast, I know nothing about it. I’m more familiar with Europe and South America than I am the rest of the country.

That's pretty odd. Don't be proud of it. DC is actually 2+ hours from the real coast though.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
That's pretty odd. Don't be proud of it. DC is actually 2+ hours from the real coast though.
Whatís odd about it? That middle America isnít as intriguing to me as other parts of the world or the American coast? Itís odd to know more about Spainís Autonomous territories, itís history and Nearly all of their cities and familiar with 3 of their languages versus Sioux City, Tulsa and Billings?

Donít confuse ďprideĒ with indifference.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:54 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,493,210 times
Quote:
What’s odd about it? That middle America isn’t as intriguing to me as other parts of the world or the American coast? It’s odd to know more about Spain’s Autonomous territories, it’s history and Nearly all of their cities and familiar with 3 of their languages versus Sioux City, Tulsa and Billings?

Don’t confuse “pride” with indifference.
It doesn’t come across as indifference, indifferent people tend to not even need to mention such things. Itcomes across as pretentious. I have plenty of friends in elite coastal areas that have no interest in traveling to the center of the country. They are however secure/confident enough not to have to declare it. They don’t need people to know they are to good for such places. I also have friends that have to make sure the rest of us know who they know, where they live, and what they drive, whether it impresses us or not. You are coming across as the latter whether or not you intend to.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
What’s odd about it? That middle America isn’t as intriguing to me as other parts of the world or the American coast? It’s odd to know more about Spain’s Autonomous territories, it’s history and Nearly all of their cities and familiar with 3 of their languages versus Sioux City, Tulsa and Billings?

Don’t confuse “pride” with indifference.

To claim to know nothing about the interior of your own country??? Not odd?? Call it whatever but it sounds extremly snooty and ignorant, and it sounds like youre proud of it. You've never even been to places like Chicago?? There are lots of interesting and beautiful places all over the US, just to inform you.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
It doesn’t come across as indifference, indifferent people tend to not even need to mention such things. Itcomes across as pretentious. I have plenty of friends in elite coastal areas that have no interest in traveling to the center of the country. They are however secure/confident enough not to have to declare it. They don’t need people to know they are to good for such places. I also have friends that have to make sure the rest of us know who they know, where they live, and what they drive, whether it impresses us or not. You are coming across as the latter whether or not you intend to.

I can’t help but to be pretentious and elitist. I’m from Charlotte. And we do need everyone to know we are too good for such places and I need to make sure to let everyone else know who I know in Charlotte and where I have lived in Charlotte. I am not secure in myself enough to not lean on Charlotte’s elitist stature.

I hope people see where I am going with that comment.... that that is such a silly thing to say considering where I have lived most of my time in the US

The entire point of this thread is metro areas you know nothing about. For me, that’s everything that isn’t west or east coast and Texas (which I didn’t mention Texas before.) other than that, I’m not familiar with them. Outside some basic generalities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
To claim to know nothing about the interior of your own country??? Not odd?? Call it whatever but it sounds extremly snooty and ignorant, and it sounds like youre proud of it. You've never even been to places like Chicago?? There are lots of interesting and beautiful places all over the US, just to inform you.

I’m Brazilian-American. And no. I have not been to Chicago. I’ve been to Minneapolis for 2 days, business only. Don’t you think that would qualify as “metropolitan areas you know nothing about” ? I don’t plan on visiting the “interior” any time soon because there’s so much other stuff I want to see first. Chicago is Further down that list. LA, San Fran, San Diego, Hawaii, San Juan are domestically higher on my list at the moment.

Chicago and the “interior” (or I always called the “heartland”) Im sure is pretty and cool and blah blah blah. But I have yet to find people in any country in any region in any city to generally not say how pretty and cool their region is. Blah blah blah. So.

And forgive me for not feeling sorry for the plight of any stereotypes middle America gets considering the negative stereotypes the southeast gets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or