U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 12:40 PM

15,597 posts, read 8,419,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just thinking, but Ivy League and older schools at lower divisions would likely fit as well. For instance, Dartmouth appears to fit a lot of the criteria: https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/2...30/590352.aspx
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7020...6!9m2!1b1!2i37
DCMB - Home

It simply doesn't get any better than a beer keg mascot with the name Keggy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 01:09 PM

28,939 posts, read 27,150,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's easily LSU on a SEC fall Saturday.
Better than Atlanta in autumn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzS87iNe0s

Old 09-18-2019, 01:41 PM

2,430 posts, read 1,320,326 times
Paying little attention to the criteria, I'd say:

-Baton Rouge, LA (LSU)
-Oxford, MS (Ole Miss)
-Morgantown, WV (WVU)
-Athens, GA (UGA)
-Columbia, SC (USC)
-Iowa City, IA (Iowa)
-Madison, WI (UW)
-Clemson, SC (Clemson)
-Columbus, OH (OSU)
-Ann Arbor, MI (UofM)

I have not been to Iowa City on gameday, but so many unbias folks in the Midwest say it's the best game day atmosphere in the Big 10. And Iowa City is set-up perfectly.. A quintessential College Town, lots of bars, loads of tailgating space.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:48 PM

583 posts, read 190,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Paying little attention to the criteria, I'd say:

-Baton Rouge, LA (LSU)
-Oxford, MS (Ole Miss)
-Morgantown, WV (WVU)
-Athens, GA (UGA)
-Columbia, SC (USC)
-Iowa City, IA (Iowa)
-Madison, WI (UW)
-Clemson, SC (Clemson)
-Columbus, OH (OSU)
-Ann Arbor, MI (UofM)

I have not been to Iowa City on gameday, but so many unbias folks in the Midwest say it's the best game day atmosphere in the Big 10. And Iowa City is set-up perfectly.. A quintessential College Town, lots of bars, loads of tailgating space.
That's not really the case. Kinnick Stadium is jammed between the university hospital and a residential neighborhood.

Iowa City is a great college town and they have a great game day atmosphere, but tailgating is parking in someone's yard or in a ramp unless you're a mega donor that gets one of the few lots near the stadium. Not that it's a deal breaker. Madison has zero room for tailgating, but it's a great game day atmosphere and party as well.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:12 PM

6,357 posts, read 6,921,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
That's not really the case. Kinnick Stadium is jammed between the university hospital and a residential neighborhood.

Iowa City is a great college town and they have a great game day atmosphere, but tailgating is parking in someone's yard or in a ramp unless you're a mega donor that gets one of the few lots near the stadium. Not that it's a deal breaker. Madison has zero room for tailgating, but it's a great game day atmosphere and party as well.
Sure the area of which you speak is “tight” but both the residence halls and the hospital are on the east side of the stadium. Visually you can’t even see a residence hall because they are behind the field house

I realize it is pretty much only west, but there is consideral space out there

Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 PM

6,357 posts, read 6,921,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I understood the joke, but as someone who lived both in Chicago and downstate Illinois, no one really considers NU “Illinois’ team”—especially few living outside of the North Shore. Hell, once you get to De Kalb, Huskies are all “wildkatz, wut??!” Also, the student body population at UIUC is commensurate with the population distribution of the state, and no more inordinately lopsided.
That is because they emphatically are not the state of Illinois’s team. Never were. Never will be. And as i said when I wrote it, it was merely a joke based on how low Illinois’s football fortunes have fallen. In the last 25 years of football or so, NU has had a decidable edge over UI. NU’s fan base is pure private university: relatively small, far spread as to cut down its visibility, strong support by alumni base

Pretty typical and not so different from Vanderbilt or Duke. Not counting ND which is just plain different, I can think of only two places where the big public flagship school is less supported than the private one: Stanford over Cal in the Bay Area and USC over UCLA in metro LA

I would say in the media, the market gives fairly equal exposure to Illinois, Northwestern and Notre Dame. So in that respect in Chicagoland, NU is a player. And really only one other school.NIU, is “local” and its coverage is far behind UI, NU, and ND

And if one looks at football alone, bith NU and D ger more coverage than the Illini.

I realize we are talking here about Chicagoland, but support for Illinois is tepid pretty much across downstate in both football and basketball

Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 PM

88,588 posts, read 104,937,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Katarina, I don't know what world you live in, But the UIUC is as much a part of Chicago as UIC is. When you are an Illini, you basically are in Chicagoland. Where do you think the vast, vast (did I mention vast?) percentage of students come from? What is the U of I more a part of: Chicagoland or downstate? Chicagoland by far.

Do you seriously think I was suggesting that C/U is alien country to Chicagoland? Please.

The topic of this thread is "Best College Town on Football Saturdays". You may or not have figured out what my reference as to (and if you didn't, that is fine too), but the jab I gave at UI was done in fun (I even said that) and done with the acknowledgment that I like the Illini.

It was said in the form of what a joke U of I football is and has been for ages (a joke pretty well shared from Galena to Cairo as well as from Waukegan to Carbondale). My comment on NU was along the very lines of Northwestern using "Chicagoland's Big Ten team" as a slogan, and in-you-face, Illini, slogan. A slogan that gave us something akin to (can't remember the exact wording): Illinois. Our State. Our team.

My joke...however lame....was that Northwestern seems more like the state's team than Illinois does (and, yes, I know even without you telling me that Northwestern doesn't pack in the fans and nobody is going to nominate Evanston as the "Best College Town on Football Saturdays"....it's just that Northwestern plays a helluva better brand of football than Illinois. The Wildcats earn their interest. The Illini earn their yawns.

You might want to take to the suggestion and stick to figure skating. As for me, I'm going with Evanston is the Best College Town on Football Saturdays

(PS...you never got back to me on another of those (numerous) comments you've made on varying threads about how I was just plain wrong: you never told me why I was wrong in saying that "New York City" is not an official name. The city is New York. Just like the city in discussion here is Chicago. The City of Chicago is the city's government. The City of New York is that city's government. And I can say that I left my apartment in heart of New York and drove north, crossing the line from New York into Vermont.). All of which does not make it in appropriate to refer to "New York City" any more so than to refer to Los Angeles as "LA"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I understood the joke, but as someone who lived both in Chicago and downstate Illinois, no one really considers NU “Illinois’ team”—especially few living outside of the North Shore. Hell, once you get to De Kalb, Huskies are all “wildkatz, wut??!” Also, the student body population at UIUC is commensurate with the population distribution of the state, and no more inordinately lopsided.

edsg25: I have no idea what you're talking about with this NYC stuff. I may have said it helps to clarify NYC vs the rest of NYS, I don't remember. Obviously if I did, it made more of an impression on you than on me.

Agree very much with Maintainschaos about Northwestern. Hell, when I lived in Champaign, we looked forward to the NU game as one that UI might actually win! I can't find what percent of students are in-state, but a lot of the grad students are not state students, especially in the PhD programs.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:33 PM

583 posts, read 190,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Sure the area of which you speak is “tight” but both the residence halls and the hospital are on the east side of the stadium. Visually you can’t even see a residence hall because they are behind the field house

I realize it is pretty much only west, but there is consideral space out there
I'm not talking about dorms. I'm saying that there are houses literally across the street from Kinnick, and that cuts down in easy nearby parking.

It's not meant as a slight - Kinnick/Iowa City is a great game day experience. I just wouldn't say it has a lot of space for tailgating. That doesn't mean it isn't a good time.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:56 PM

42 posts, read 46,735 times
I would say Tallahassee, FL.... It Has Florida State University one of the state's flagship universities and Florida A&M University one the country's flagship HBCU's both schools are rich in history and pride . Checks off all the boxes except the fall weather part.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:18 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,432,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Ivies have lousy attendance. There's also an attitude among a large segment that athletes--in particular football and basketball players (but not hockey players)--are taking away spots from more deserving applicants. So sports aren't as welcome there as they are at schools such as Michigan or even Stanford.
That's kind of disappointing. I'm not sure that's true. How hard are the enrollment caps at the Ivies? Michigan and Stanford separate the athletes from the students, for requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Better than Atlanta in autumn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzS87iNe0s
Electric video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or