U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:52 PM

793 posts, read 288,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Several of the universities mentioned aren't known for a lot of school spirit regarding football , like UNC and BC.

A few years ago, UNC made the ACC title game which was played in Charlotte but the stadium was mostly Clemson fans. UNC and Clemson are similar size universities at undergrad level and UNC is much larger at the graduate / professional level.

UNC had a small chance of making the playoffs that year if it had beat Clemson because it only had one loss coming in.
There is a lot of visible school spirit all around the on-campus stadium on your typical fall Saturday. Itís just not a rabidly large fan base outside the Mack years (Judgment Day Ď97 was the pinnacle of what a UNC crowd could be). We were never going to travel as well as an SEC school in all but name like Clemson. But Kenan on a crisp October day is a pretty nice experience for a mid-sized stadium in a quiet campus setting with a small town feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:13 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I'm definitely going to stump for my alma mater here.

Ames, Iowa (home of Iowa State) is a fantastic place for college football. The Cyclones aren't very good traditionally, but we check every other box. The Iowa State fanbase is known for packing the stadium despite a bad team, and our tailgating is the most underrated in the country. It's on par with the SEC (which despite what ESPN tells you isn't the only place they play college ball). We have a distinct 4 season climate, so you get the effect of leaves changing color, and all that. You generally see 3 seasons in the course of the college football season here. In 2013 it was 103 degrees at kickoff on opening day and 5 degrees at kick off for the home finale. Our stadium (Jack Trice Stadium) isn't that old (opened in 1972) but it's the only D1 stadium named after an African-American. Jack Trice was our first black athlete, and he was assaulted by the University of Minnesota players (due to his race) in a game in Minneapolis, and he died as a result of those injuries. It holds 61,500 so it's not gigantic, but it's big enough to be an intimidating atmosphere. Ames is a classic Midwestern college town as well. Our campus has won numerous awards from landscape architecture societies and is stunning in mid October, when the leaves are at their peak.
I would agree with you that Ames is good in this category, but I think Iowa City is better.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:49 AM

417 posts, read 127,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I would agree with you that Ames is good in this category, but I think Iowa City is better.
Iowa City is a good spot as well. I think the tailgate scene in Ames is superior, given it's size, scope, layout, convenience, etc. Iowa City ranks high in the other categories, and has a more aesthetically pleasing, older stadium. It's pretty well a push, and both are great college football environments.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Franklin street does have a small town feel and UNC doesn't feel urban at all but the fact remains that all those towns run together. Have to ask the OP what the parameters are on "small town" vs "small town in a larger metro area". If we are going to go that route I'd put Cal Berkely on the list as far as their stadium goes.

And Iowan Farmer makes a great case for Ames. The only drawback to Ames is that the stadium is bland architecturally. Absolutely no charm............. but a lot of spirit.
Not sure if you're a Poke or Sooner, but I've been to Stillwater for a game and thought it was great. Really, really similar to Ames, but BPS is a nicer stadium.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:08 PM

1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This is more indicative of what I had in mind.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...m_panorama.jpg

Boston College's stadium is historic/not overly modernized, seats just around 60K and is smack in the middle of campus within quaint Chestnut Hill.

44k and only a few BC kids care about BC

Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 PM

7,140 posts, read 5,412,384 times
Ann Arbor and Chapel Hill get my vote.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:21 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,440,611 times
To be honest, the most electric gameday experiences are at the larger stadiums. Baton Rouge, Auburn, Gainesville, Columbus, State College, Norman, etc. are among the best in the biz. There is an extremely high correlation of programs with winning traditions, large fan bases, and electric atmospheres. Yes, some great times can be had at non-traditional powerhouses, but there's a reason why ESPN's Game Day only features a very small handful of non-power programs each season.

If a small stadium is a must, I'd stick with Army, Navy, North Dakota State, or the high school ranks.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:27 PM

6,841 posts, read 6,181,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Not sure if you're a Poke or Sooner, but I've been to Stillwater for a game and thought it was great. Really, really similar to Ames, but BPS is a nicer stadium.
Sooner fan here but I absolutely agree that Stillwater/OSU and Ames?ISU are eerily similar. The difference being that Ames is a bit nicer and ISU is a bit nicer. OSU has bars within walking distance from the stadium so that their fans can drown their sorrows though.

In comparison to UIowa I like Ames open setting compared to Kinnick's spot on campus. Kinnick is crammed up next to the hospital and a bunch of other sterile buildings in a completely forgettable part of campus. The Hawkeyes do the wave to the kids in the hospital which is a great new tradition.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Sooner fan here but I absolutely agree that Stillwater/OSU and Ames?ISU are eerily similar. The difference being that Ames is a bit nicer and ISU is a bit nicer. OSU has bars within walking distance from the stadium so that their fans can drown their sorrows though.

In comparison to UIowa I like Ames open setting compared to Kinnick's spot on campus. Kinnick is crammed up next to the hospital and a bunch of other sterile buildings in a completely forgettable part of campus. The Hawkeyes do the wave to the kids in the hospital which is a great new tradition.
You can throw Manhattan/K-State in that mix too. Those old Big 8 Ag schools have a lot of commonality among their universities, towns, and fanbases. A little more blue collar (by university standards), salt of the earth, farmers/ranchers of the Plains states. The common mission and similar geographies make them natural comrades.

Kinnick has fun tailgating if (and this is key), you know someone with a place to do it. Because you're crammed into a neighborhood, you need access to a big yard/house party to get the full experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or