U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:48 PM

1,867 posts, read 541,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
An objective person could argue it's just conformity after the millionth well groomed beard or thick framed non-prescription glasses.. In the South East there are redneck hipsters with the beards and trucker hats, but they drive lifted diesel trucks..

There are also other aspects not covered here.. They all(even the redneck versions) live in new-developments and track housing where people are forced to see them.. It's mostly from different forms of social entitlements either being inheritance or jobs they can't do that pay at least 40k a year that their relatives or friends have influence in..

I worked at a really good union job once that had them, and they all knew people and if you didn't "help" them you'd end up fired because who they knew..
Beards and trucker hats are a redneck thing too, I don't think they're going for a hipster look. Rednecks are probably more likely to have beards than hipsters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, exactly. When a neighborhood like Williamsburg now has an Apple, a JCrew, an Urban Outfitters, a Whole Foods and a few Starbucks, it has moved well beyond "hipster phase."
Williamsburg is now a yuppie neighborhood, sitting amongst the ranks of nicer and expensive neighborhoods in NYC such as the West Village, Tribeca, Upper West Side, etc.

The "hipsters" hanging out in Williamsburg are those either masquerading as hipsters when not working in their $100k jobs, or still living off mommy and daddy's bankroll, or those few legitimate artists/hipsters who managed to secure a living situation deal somehow in Williamsburg, but hang in Bushwick.

Personally, I've never liked Bushwick, aesthetically. It fell to such low, tough time "ghetto" ranks in the 1970s/80s, and was fueled by drugs, gangs and rats in the 90s, that the early 2000s slow revitalization and continuing today, feels less hipster and more developer-pushed.
But I suppose that is true with all hipster neighborhoods. Ultimately they become more and more developed until rent is too high for the hipster/artist population, then the "new" hipster neighborhood is ushered in.

ha would a LuLu Lemon place it out, if so then Fishtown is ixnayed, mayber Est Kennsignton then

Old 01-03-2019, 01:15 PM

838 posts, read 654,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Beards and trucker hats are a redneck thing too, I don't think they're going for a hipster look. Rednecks are probably more likely to have beards than hipsters
Rednecks don't live in gated communities..

I grew up in the South East the beard thing is like seven-years old and came from the Von Dutch hat thing..

I would also argue that rednecks went extinct with the middle class. People who sold their inheritance and shop at Cabelas and Trader Joes and Starbucks aren't rednecks.. Neither are metal and rap fans who live in trailer parks and drive primer Hondas and know every drug dealer in a fifteen mile radius..

There are similar cases with other cultures too that are basically extinct

Last edited by TJJT; 01-03-2019 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 02:50 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,226,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Bushwick, Brooklyn is the hipster capital of New York and I'm very familiar with it. But I haven't been to hipster neighborhoods in other cities yet, so I'm curious as to how they compare. . In other cities, I've heard of the hipster capitals being places like Wicker Park in Chicago or Echo Park in LA.
Wicker Park is much closer to being Lincoln Park 2.0 these days vs Chicago's hipster capital. That crown passed long ago.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:33 PM

1,867 posts, read 541,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Wicker Park is much closer to being Lincoln Park 2.0 these days vs Chicago's hipster capital. That crown passed long ago.
What is it now, Pilsen?

Old 01-03-2019, 10:36 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
I'm not a hipster at all, but Marigny/Bywater is known as an especially hipster part of New Orleans. The scene there doesn't seem as pretentious as Seattle or San Francisco.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:18 PM

565 posts, read 564,399 times
In Puget Sound, the ones with more money live in Capitol Hill, the ones with less live in urban Tacoma. Both have their ups and downs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or