U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 06:21 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times

Advertisements

I'm moving back east and I'm very mindful of winter activities that are offered when I get back there. I just skied Telluride, Colorado after a long absence for years away from the slopes, and I loved it and looking forward to skiing on the regular during upcoming winters when I relocate to Vermont. I grew up skiing the slopes of northern New England and wanted to see what are some of the favorites for those that have skied (or boarded) the East anywhere between NC and Maine.

What are some of your favorite ski areas back east? Criteria can include snow conditions, vertical range, terrain, scenery, best resort development, best aprs ski, accessibility, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 06:49 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
It's hard to beat Stowe, Killington or Mad River but there are others worth exploring. You have to check out Mont Tremblanc in neighboring Quebec which has the feel of a Swiss Alps resort, and a great apres ski scene as well. I have a soft spot for Beech Mountain NC which happens to be the highest town east of the Rockies (5500 feet) and a beautiful area overall with plenty to do. They have a pretty active ski resort there with decent slopes that are moderately priced, and a no-attitude/friendly place to ski plus relax with some nice bars, restaurants and a brewery right off the slopes. The neighboring town of Banner Elk has nice spots to hang out in as well. https://www.beechmountainresort.com/

Old 12-30-2018, 12:34 PM

1,593 posts, read 832,249 times
I always went to Loon, unless you count Wachusett. I think one of the best I went to was Stratton, the slopes were great but the nightlife there was all right at the mountain no driving required.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:20 PM

3,329 posts, read 8,782,460 times
I live in VT and avoid the resort ski areas like the plague on weekends and holidays. Too crowded and too expensive. My favorites are Middlebury Snow Bowl, Mad River Glen, Bolton Valley & Burke. My favorite resort areas would be Okemo & Sugarbush.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:45 AM

I like Killington for the most varied terrain, skied this place a ton of times when I was younger and never got bored with it. If I want to avoid the crowds but still have a quality mountain to ski on, Burke up in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont is my favorite.

Though it's hard to get to, my overall favorite mountain back east to ski is Sugarloaf way up in deep Maine. They have treeless skiing at the summit, a very nice resort at the base, and overall an awesome place to ski.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:53 PM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,494,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I live in VT and avoid the resort ski areas like the plague on weekends and holidays. Too crowded and too expensive. My favorites are Middlebury Snow Bowl, Mad River Glen, Bolton Valley & Burke. My favorite resort areas would be Okemo & Sugarbush.
Agree.

Also like Jay Peak, up near the Quebec border...gets tons of snow
and has an ariel tramway (cable car).

Sugarloaf in Maine is good too.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Agree.

Also like Jay Peak, up near the Quebec border...gets tons of snow
and has an ariel tramway (cable car).

Sugarloaf in Maine is good too.
Jay Peak is at the top of the bucket list, they have insanely deep snow at times. I haven't been yet, but thinking if I take a liking to it I may get a season pass next year.

I've also wondered how the resorts are up in Quebec. I'm mainly interested in Mont Ste Anne and Le Massif. Telluride has an awesome apres ski scene and town. I don't think there are any back east that could compare well, but I've heard Tremblant has a decent enough village at the base.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:31 PM

3,329 posts, read 8,782,460 times
Mont Sutton, Quebec (just above Richford VT) is a cool place. Be sure to put it on your list!

Old 12-31-2018, 07:20 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Killington, Stratton, and Jay in Vermont.

Hunter in New York.

For a quainter, but really nice little resort, I like Butternut Basin in the Berkshires, Mass.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:57 PM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,494,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Mont Sutton, Quebec (just above Richford VT) is a cool place. Be sure to put it on your list!
Sutton is very good...my personal fave is Owls Head ...just a few miles over the border
from Jay Peak.

Le Massif and Mont Ste Anne really good too, both not too far from Quebec City,
worth adding on to vacation to the city, especially at winter carnival time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.