U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon (in Transition)
887 posts, read 442,013 times
Reputation: 1465

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Isn't that true for every state with one dominant city given the title of the thread?
I read the title of the thread differently. I interpret the question as what city do you believe best represents what people think of your state. The question isn't "where" do you think, but "what". Whats are things or characteristics. When you think of Minnesota, you likely think lakes, goofy sounding people, boating, ice fishing, cold, and snow. Those things do exist in the Twin Cities, but at they exist in lesser frequency than other parts of the state.

Colorado is the same way. When I think Colorado, I think Rocky Mountains. Denver is not in the mountains so it doesn't really represent what I think of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2019, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,865 posts, read 6,194,424 times
Reputation: 6161
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Size isn't everything. It's very easy to farm/garden in San Diego, and very difficult in Oklahoma. My sister lives in Oklahoma and has had such a terrible time with her garden that she's just about given up. If it's not the heat, it's the frost, the bugs, the hail, the deer, the wind, the squirrels, or the flooding. I've been there, and while all her neighbors have 2-4 acres, almost no one bothers to try to grow anything except maybe a pot of basil.

San Diego, on the other hand, is a farmer/gardener's paradise. With very little effort you can grow enough citrus fruits, avocados, and various vegetables on 4 acres to sell at the farmer's market, all year round.
Welcome — Oklahoma Gardening

This is a good guide to gardening in Oklahoma..........But just think want a San Diegan could do with 438 acres.......the average size of an Oklahoma farm???

He could sell it to developers and be an instant gazillionaire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Reputation: 5374
My home state, NY, has the opposite problem. When people think of NY they think almost exclusively of NYC.

Take 'em on a drive down the Canisteo valley and then see if they still think NY is all ritz, skyscrapers and glamour. haha

I like to tell folks that thinking NY state is all like NYC is like thinking Virginia is all like Newport News/Hampton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 11:56 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Reputation: 4774
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
My home state, NY, has the opposite problem. When people think of NY they think almost exclusively of NYC.

Take 'em on a drive down the Canisteo valley and then see if they still think NY is all ritz, skyscrapers and glamour. haha

I like to tell folks that thinking NY state is all like NYC is like thinking Virginia is all like Newport News/Hampton.
Illinois is the opposite. Everyone knows Chicago is in Illinois but if you say Illinois people's image consists of small towns scattered among cornfields. You have to say Chicago for people to think of Chicago.

Same with Las Vegas and Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Illinois is the opposite. Everyone knows Chicago is in Illinois but if you say Illinois people's image consists of small towns scattered among cornfields. You have to say Chicago for people to think of Chicago.

Same with Las Vegas and Nevada.
Now, if Chicago was called Illinois City...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 12:41 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Reputation: 4774
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Now, if Chicago was called Illinois City...
Several of the Midwestern states are like this where people hear the state name and automatically rural despite the major cities like Indianapolis and the Twin Cities. I DO think people think of St. Louis when people mention Missouri and Detroit is the first thing that comes to mind with Michigan. Ohio is a mixed bag, people either think of small towns and farmland OR they think of depressed Rust Belt cities.

All the Southern states have a rural reputation when people mention them except Florida. But people do associate New Orleans with Louisiana more than they associate Chicago with Illinois or even Indianapolis with Indiana.

Pittsburgh is probably the quintessential Pennsylvania city and is more typical of PA in terms of its economic history than Philadelphia especially since most of Pennsylvania is more about steel and mining which Pittsburgh is based around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Kent, UK/ Rhode Island, US
626 posts, read 575,792 times
Reputation: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Several of the Midwestern states are like this where people hear the state name and automatically rural despite the major cities like Indianapolis and the Twin Cities. I DO think people think of St. Louis when people mention Missouri and Detroit is the first thing that comes to mind with Michigan. Ohio is a mixed bag, people either think of small towns and farmland OR they think of depressed Rust Belt cities.

All the Southern states have a rural reputation when people mention them except Florida. But people do associate New Orleans with Louisiana more than they associate Chicago with Illinois or even Indianapolis with Indiana.

Pittsburgh is probably the quintessential Pennsylvania city and is more typical of PA in terms of its economic history than Philadelphia especially since most of Pennsylvania is more about steel and mining which Pittsburgh is based around.
Maybe itís because I didnít grow up in the US, but Iíve always separated Michigan and Detroit. When I thought of the former I always thought of lakes, DIY, cabin woods and an abundance of woodland. Maybe it because I watched home improvement a lot as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 08:13 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,231 posts, read 508,560 times
Reputation: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Maybe itís because I didnít grow up in the US, but Iíve always separated Michigan and Detroit. When I thought of the former I always thought of lakes, DIY, cabin woods and an abundance of woodland. Maybe it because I watched home improvement a lot as a kid.
It was the opposite for me watching Home Improvemnt seeing it was set in Metro Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,896 posts, read 6,327,291 times
Reputation: 12577
For Ohio it would be corn, corn and more corn. This is especially applicable to people on the coasts and they mix up Ohio and Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 AM
 
965 posts, read 1,558,869 times
Reputation: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
For Ohio it would be corn, corn and more corn. This is especially applicable to people on the coasts and they mix up Ohio and Iowa.
Yep, you'd be surprised how many (well-educated) native New Yorkers have no clue about the geographic location of Ohio despite its relative proximity to NYC.

If I had to choose a city to represent Ohio, I'd probably go with Findlay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top