Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Isn't that true for every state with one dominant city given the title of the thread?
I read the title of the thread differently. I interpret the question as what city do you believe best represents what people think of your state. The question isn't "where" do you think, but "what". Whats are things or characteristics. When you think of Minnesota, you likely think lakes, goofy sounding people, boating, ice fishing, cold, and snow. Those things do exist in the Twin Cities, but at they exist in lesser frequency than other parts of the state.

Colorado is the same way. When I think Colorado, I think Rocky Mountains. Denver is not in the mountains so it doesn't really represent what I think of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 03:25 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Size isn't everything. It's very easy to farm/garden in San Diego, and very difficult in Oklahoma. My sister lives in Oklahoma and has had such a terrible time with her garden that she's just about given up. If it's not the heat, it's the frost, the bugs, the hail, the deer, the wind, the squirrels, or the flooding. I've been there, and while all her neighbors have 2-4 acres, almost no one bothers to try to grow anything except maybe a pot of basil.

San Diego, on the other hand, is a farmer/gardener's paradise. With very little effort you can grow enough citrus fruits, avocados, and various vegetables on 4 acres to sell at the farmer's market, all year round.
Welcome — Oklahoma Gardening

This is a good guide to gardening in Oklahoma..........But just think want a San Diegan could do with 438 acres.......the average size of an Oklahoma farm???

He could sell it to developers and be an instant gazillionaire.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:14 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
My home state, NY, has the opposite problem. When people think of NY they think almost exclusively of NYC.

Take 'em on a drive down the Canisteo valley and then see if they still think NY is all ritz, skyscrapers and glamour. haha

I like to tell folks that thinking NY state is all like NYC is like thinking Virginia is all like Newport News/Hampton.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:56 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
My home state, NY, has the opposite problem. When people think of NY they think almost exclusively of NYC.

Take 'em on a drive down the Canisteo valley and then see if they still think NY is all ritz, skyscrapers and glamour. haha

I like to tell folks that thinking NY state is all like NYC is like thinking Virginia is all like Newport News/Hampton.
Illinois is the opposite. Everyone knows Chicago is in Illinois but if you say Illinois people's image consists of small towns scattered among cornfields. You have to say Chicago for people to think of Chicago.

Same with Las Vegas and Nevada.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Illinois is the opposite. Everyone knows Chicago is in Illinois but if you say Illinois people's image consists of small towns scattered among cornfields. You have to say Chicago for people to think of Chicago.

Same with Las Vegas and Nevada.
Now, if Chicago was called Illinois City...

Old 01-06-2019, 12:41 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Now, if Chicago was called Illinois City...
Several of the Midwestern states are like this where people hear the state name and automatically rural despite the major cities like Indianapolis and the Twin Cities. I DO think people think of St. Louis when people mention Missouri and Detroit is the first thing that comes to mind with Michigan. Ohio is a mixed bag, people either think of small towns and farmland OR they think of depressed Rust Belt cities.

All the Southern states have a rural reputation when people mention them except Florida. But people do associate New Orleans with Louisiana more than they associate Chicago with Illinois or even Indianapolis with Indiana.

Pittsburgh is probably the quintessential Pennsylvania city and is more typical of PA in terms of its economic history than Philadelphia especially since most of Pennsylvania is more about steel and mining which Pittsburgh is based around.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:08 AM

657 posts, read 801,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Several of the Midwestern states are like this where people hear the state name and automatically rural despite the major cities like Indianapolis and the Twin Cities. I DO think people think of St. Louis when people mention Missouri and Detroit is the first thing that comes to mind with Michigan. Ohio is a mixed bag, people either think of small towns and farmland OR they think of depressed Rust Belt cities.

All the Southern states have a rural reputation when people mention them except Florida. But people do associate New Orleans with Louisiana more than they associate Chicago with Illinois or even Indianapolis with Indiana.

Pittsburgh is probably the quintessential Pennsylvania city and is more typical of PA in terms of its economic history than Philadelphia especially since most of Pennsylvania is more about steel and mining which Pittsburgh is based around.
Maybe it’s because I didn’t grow up in the US, but I’ve always separated Michigan and Detroit. When I thought of the former I always thought of lakes, DIY, cabin woods and an abundance of woodland. Maybe it because I watched home improvement a lot as a kid.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:13 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Maybe it’s because I didn’t grow up in the US, but I’ve always separated Michigan and Detroit. When I thought of the former I always thought of lakes, DIY, cabin woods and an abundance of woodland. Maybe it because I watched home improvement a lot as a kid.
It was the opposite for me watching Home Improvemnt seeing it was set in Metro Detroit.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 AM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
For Ohio it would be corn, corn and more corn. This is especially applicable to people on the coasts and they mix up Ohio and Iowa.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,861,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
For Ohio it would be corn, corn and more corn. This is especially applicable to people on the coasts and they mix up Ohio and Iowa.
Yep, you'd be surprised how many (well-educated) native New Yorkers have no clue about the geographic location of Ohio despite its relative proximity to NYC.

If I had to choose a city to represent Ohio, I'd probably go with Findlay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.