Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 01:07 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1218 View Post
So what I was wondering was whether there are any U.S. cities (besides the 6 I name above) with a city transit system, not railroad, not single-line shuttle to the airport, but a proper system, which has a number of miles of underground track, multiple lines, and multiple fully underground stations or a proper "subway"?
It sounds to me like you are using the term "subway" to mean "underground urban rail transit" without any distinction between heavy rail and light rail. If this is so, you can use the list below, with a couple of modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What most people would consider a "traditional subway" is heavy rail rapid transit.
Only 11 cities in the US would qualify
NYC, Philly, DC, LA, SF, Atlanta, Cleveland, Miami, Baltimore, Boston, and Chicago.

When it comes to light rail subway systems there are 6 that qualify in the US.
Philly(Green lines), Boston(Green lines), Buffalo, Pittsburgh, St Louis, and Seattle
Delete Miami from the list, as it is entirely above ground.

Add the Newark City Subway, a light rail system with 4 stations (I think) that are underground. Add also San Francisco for light rail. (It's already listed for heavy rail.)

When you mentioned "multiple" underground stations, does that exclude systems with only one underground station? If so, scratch Cleveland from the list, because I believe that only the Tower City station is underground. If you're willing to list systems with only one underground station, then add in the Minneapolis light rail service.

If you're not counting "systems" with only a single underground line, you'll have to remove Buffalo from the list. Baltimore is a potential deletion as well. It does have one single "proper" heavy rail subway line with several underground stations. And it is a system, in that there is also a light rail line. However, none of the light rail stations are underground. So if you're only counting systems where multiple lines serve underground stations, scratch Baltimore from the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 02:56 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Delete Miami from the list, as it is entirely above ground.

Miami technically really shouldn't be deleted. They have a real Heavy Rail system that is completely grade separated, but it's almost entirely elevated. You can't build a subway there, the water table is too high.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:09 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Seattle also has Amtrak and commuter rail in a mile-long, century-old tunnel through Downtown. There are no stops in the tunnel though. It also handles freight btw.

Light rail includes segments of the one operational light rail line we have, not including streetcars. An additional line to the east that opens in 2023 has tunnel segments including multiple segments of I-90 where freeway express/hov lanes are being transformed to rail use, and a short tunnel in Downtown Bellevue (has been bored), none of which involve stations in the tunnels. An expansion of the existing line to the north includes new tunnel stations and an above-grade station, all opening in 2021.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:36 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Baltimore has an underground subway though not multiple lines. Seattle's light rail runs underground for a long distance. I believe part of Pittsburgh's mass transit is underground as well.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:48 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Baltimore has an underground subway though not multiple lines. Seattle's light rail runs underground for a long distance. I believe part of Pittsburgh's mass transit is underground as well.
Doesn’t Seattle’s light rail share stations with buses? I don’t think that counts as a subway as long as that’s true. Pittsburgh’s light rail is above ground and very infrequent from what I’ve seen. Maybe there are exceptions.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:55 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Doesn’t Seattle’s light rail share stations with buses? I don’t think that counts as a subway as long as that’s true. Pittsburgh’s light rail is above ground and very infrequent from what I’ve seen. Maybe there are exceptions.
Until March 23, 2019, when all of the buses will be coming out of the Transit Tunnel (originally called the Bus Tunnel). When the West Seattle and Ballard lines are added (in 2030 and 2035), a second Downtown tunnel will be added.

https://seattletransitblog.com/2018/...ake-decisions/

Old 01-01-2019, 01:31 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Also the buses are only in the Downtown segment.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:52 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
Underground?

NYC
Boston/Cambridge
Philly
DC/Arlington
Chicago
LA
San Fran/Bay Area

So far what I can think of
Atlanta and Baltimore too.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:25 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Seattle is building most of its light rail underground. The center city connections are underground and have been for two decades. The downtown Seattle to University of Washington segment, (completed) is underground, and the extension to Northgate will also be below ground. Compare to Portland, where there are few underground lines.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:06 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Do we give Jersey City/Hoboken a mention for the PATH system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ2BgV1BYeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2saUd9CI7c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.