U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 12:58 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,631,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Definitely not true in D.C. I was in Dupont Circle and some tourists came up to me and asked me to point them towards the subway.

I told them there was a Subway about 15 minutes away.

It only dawned on me as I was walking by Dupont Circle Station about 5 minutes later that they might have meant the Metro.

Ran back and caught them and, sure enough, they wanted the transit not the sub shop.

It's a fun story in hindsight but, as I told them, in D.C. the metro is the metro, not the "subway" or the "train."
Lol. I can see that happening, but again whether or not people in Boston or dc or Chicago call their system a "subway" or are even familiar with the word "subway" or the phrase "rapid transit" wasn't the point. My point was that when most Americans use the word subway, it's synonymous with rapid transit and not just the underground bits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 06:59 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times
It seems NYC mostly calls theirs the subway; would say Philly uses this often but not exclusively as people also use the El, Broad street line (most commonly referred to as just subway) or PATCO as well but subway is used in Philly fairly often

many or maybe most call the Market Frankford line the El but people would not confuse if someone said wubway with what they meant in Philly

Old 01-14-2019, 09:35 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,458,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Definitely not true in D.C. I was in Dupont Circle and some tourists came up to me and asked me to point them towards the subway.

I told them there was a Subway about 15 minutes away.

It only dawned on me as I was walking by Dupont Circle Station about 5 minutes later that they might have meant the Metro.

Ran back and caught them and, sure enough, they wanted the transit not the sub shop.

It's a fun story in hindsight but, as I told them, in D.C. the metro is the metro, not the "subway" or the "train."

Well point 1, they were tourists not locals, and point 2, it really is a subway at Dupont Circle and its right in the city. If those people were out in the burbs, say Springfield VA, they'd be a lot less likely to ask for a subway station, they'd probably say Metro or train station.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 AM

2,110 posts, read 1,303,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It seems NYC mostly calls theirs the subway; would say Philly uses this often but not exclusively as people also use the El, Broad street line (most commonly referred to as just subway) or PATCO as well but subway is used in Philly fairly often

many or maybe most call the Market Frankford line the El but people would not confuse if someone said wubway with what they meant in Philly
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Well point 1, they were tourists not locals, and point 2, it really is a subway at Dupont Circle and its right in the city. If those people were out in the burbs, say Springfield VA, they'd be a lot less likely to ask for a subway station, they'd probably say Metro or train station.
I’m guilty of point 1 in my travels, lol. I think Toronto also uses subway in the same way NY does. I’m not sure if their trains ever go above ground or not though?

Old 01-15-2019, 09:43 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I’m guilty of point 1 in my travels, lol. I think Toronto also uses subway in the same way NY does. I’m not sure if their trains ever go above ground or not though?
Yes, there are a few segments of the Toronto subway that are above ground. But the vast majority of it is underground.

FYI Montreal's métro is totally below ground and the rolling stock in not really winterized at all. Most notably it runs on rubber tires.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:01 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yes. PATH, PATCO and Newark City Subway definitely count IMO. ESPECIALLY PATH. With 24/7/365 service, 4 lines, 13 stations, a little under 300k weekday boardings, and around 83 million riders annually, it is by far the most underrated and ignored rapid transit and true subway system in the country. It's only overshadowed so much because MTA is just next door. Most people when they hear I live in Jersey think I live in a suburb and drive all over and take commuter trains into Manhattan that run every hour and I can't get home at night and I can only get to Penn Station easily. So many people even in this area don't realize how easy it is to take PATH. Only 2 stops are above ground, though Newark Penn is not open-air above ground--it's covered inside Newark Penn's regular platforms. Journal Square "open-air" in the sense that both ends are open to the outdoors, but it's still underground and has a massive office/plaza complex above it on street level.
And s/o to Hudson-Bergen Light Rail and its *one* underground station at Bergenline Avenue

Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 AM

87 posts, read 65,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yes. PATH, PATCO and Newark City Subway definitely count IMO. ESPECIALLY PATH. With 24/7/365 service, 4 lines, 13 stations, a little under 300k weekday boardings, and around 83 million riders annually, it is by far the most underrated and ignored rapid transit and true subway system in the country. It's only overshadowed so much because MTA is just next door. Most people when they hear I live in Jersey think I live in a suburb and drive all over and take commuter trains into Manhattan that run every hour and I can't get home at night and I can only get to Penn Station easily. So many people even in this area don't realize how easy it is to take PATH. Only 2 stops are above ground, though Newark Penn is not open-air above ground--it's covered inside Newark Penn's regular platforms. Journal Square "open-air" in the sense that both ends are open to the outdoors, but it's still underground and has a massive office/plaza complex above it on street level.
But is the Path more of an inter-city system designed for commuters between Newark and New York or does it also function for people to simply get around Newark? I always saw it as more of a railroad (inter-city) than a subway (intra-city) but I am not sure.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Do we give Jersey City/Hoboken a mention for the PATH system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ2BgV1BYeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2saUd9CI7c
for my picky purposes (I'm the op) this is more of an inter-city commuter railroad than a "transit system" to get around one particular city.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Not true about London. They call both the underground and above ground sections of the “Underground” either the tube or the underground. The “Overground” is a separate system. The only completely underground line is the Jubilee line. The rest of the underground lines are both above and below and they’re always the underground regardless. Same for NYC and “subway” as you correctly pointed out.

In the US because of the way that NYC uses “subway”, the word subway is used interchangeably with what much of the world calls “Metro” and that means rapid transit regardless of whether it’s above or below ground. And that’s what I’ve always known it to mean.

Some have suggested that new light rail lines like what’s planned in Seattle may be blurring that definition. Maybe, maybe not. If light rail starts behaving like a subway then I would call it that.
I always thought the "underground" in London referred to pedestrian street underpasses only, but it's been decades since I've been there.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 AM

2,110 posts, read 1,303,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1218 View Post
But is the Path more of an inter-city system designed for commuters between Newark and New York or does it also function for people to simply get around Newark? I always saw it as more of a railroad (inter-city) than a subway (intra-city) but I am not sure.
Technically it is an inter-city transit system, but it’s definitely a real subway. It functions just as a subway and has multiple stops in Manhattan that connect with various NYC subway lines. You can even use the MTA Metrocard on these (the same ones we use for the subway turnstiles in NYC).

New Jersey Transit would be the railroad that serves these areas. Think of PATH as the New Jersey Subway. It only has one stop in Newark so it isn’t used to get around Newark itself, but can be used to travel around NJ. It has stops in Newark, Harrison, a number of areas in Jersey City, and Hoboken. All of those cities in North Jersey are very small in land area and pretty close together. Think of it almost as one continuous urban area next to Manhattan similar to BRooklyn/Queens/The Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or