Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:20 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,293,492 times

Advertisements

Great thread.

I'm from Pittsburgh and had no clue there was a subway until I saw the "The Next Three Days."

Seattle's LINK is a light rail but feels %100 like a legit subway when underground.

Conversely, when you hop on the Expo line in DTLA it fees like light rail that happens to go underground, and not a subway.

Something I never knew about the San Diego Trolley until I took it to SDSU a few months ago is that it goes underground there, and stops in a huge tunnel that feels very subway-like.

I know real subway is much more expensive than light rail and hard for most cities to justify. Interesting that pretty much all of the rust belt cities had at or near the density of modern day San Francisco post WWII but only Cleveland came away with a real subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:16 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Miami technically really shouldn't be deleted. They have a real Heavy Rail system that is completely grade separated, but it's almost entirely elevated. You can't build a subway there, the water table is too high.
It's true that the Miami Metrorail is definitely a heavy rail system. But it's also entirely above-ground, and thus is excluded as per the OP's requirements. Honolulu will be getting a heavy rail system before too long, but it too is entirely above ground (I think) and thus also would not qualify.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:47 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Minneapolis's Blue Line LRT goes underground where it runs under the runways at MSP airport. Two stations, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are underground.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Minneapolis's Blue Line LRT goes underground where it runs under the runways at MSP airport. Two stations, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are underground.
As opposed to running across the runways at MSP? That is funny.

But, seriously, I like the stations at MSP. Seattle has a station somewhat near SEA, but requires a long walk in open air corridors. Which is nice for 5 months of the year, and terrible the rest of the year!

Old 01-02-2019, 09:53 AM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
It's a "long" walk with multiple suitcases and for the handicapped. The latter can take a cart. I don't see a problem. It's open air but the only really exposed place is on the platform itself....it's probably 60 feet in the air.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Doesn’t Seattle’s light rail share stations with buses? I don’t think that counts as a subway as long as that’s true. Pittsburgh’s light rail is above ground and very infrequent from what I’ve seen. Maybe there are exceptions.

Pittsburgh's system is a subway in the CBD , which also tunnels under the Allegheny river to the North Side. It does have 4 connected underground stations, with all of the tracks underground also within the downtown area, so it definitely is a subway.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:08 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Doesn’t Seattle’s light rail share stations with buses? I don’t think that counts as a subway as long as that’s true. Pittsburgh’s light rail is above ground and very infrequent from what I’ve seen. Maybe there are exceptions.
Pittsburgh's light rail system has underground components with three underground stations downtown and one underground station in North Shore in use. The parts underground and a couple other stations are where light rail services interline so are pretty frequent along that eight station segment (four underground).

Pittsburgh's geography with development concentrated due to the hilly topography and strong secondary CBD makes it a great candidate for vastly improving mass transit--though it probably needs to show signs of growing again for anyone to seriously push for an expansion.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:16 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Newark City Subway has a few underground stations downtown (Newark Penn Station, Military Park/Broad Street, Washington Street, Warren Street). Several other stations are in a cut until you get out to Branch Brook Park. It's a LRT system, not heavy rail.

A couple of other subway lines went defunct, so there used to be more of an underground system in Newark.

https://youtu.be/YyAhAq_AvF8?t=140
https://youtu.be/zi0IIOiMkpg?t=83

Old 01-02-2019, 01:10 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Do we give Jersey City/Hoboken a mention for the PATH system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ2BgV1BYeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2saUd9CI7c

Camden NJ as well with underground subway stations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.