Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 01:21 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Newark City Subway has a few underground stations downtown (Newark Penn Station, Military Park/Broad Street, Washington Street, Warren Street). Several other stations are in a cut until you get out to Branch Brook Park. It's a LRT system, not heavy rail.

A couple of other subway lines went defunct, so there used to be more of an underground system in Newark.

https://youtu.be/YyAhAq_AvF8?t=140
https://youtu.be/zi0IIOiMkpg?t=83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Camden NJ as well with underground subway stations
Yes. PATH, PATCO and Newark City Subway definitely count IMO. ESPECIALLY PATH. With 24/7/365 service, 4 lines, 13 stations, a little under 300k weekday boardings, and around 83 million riders annually, it is by far the most underrated and ignored rapid transit and true subway system in the country. It's only overshadowed so much because MTA is just next door. Most people when they hear I live in Jersey think I live in a suburb and drive all over and take commuter trains into Manhattan that run every hour and I can't get home at night and I can only get to Penn Station easily. So many people even in this area don't realize how easy it is to take PATH. Only 2 stops are above ground, though Newark Penn is not open-air above ground--it's covered inside Newark Penn's regular platforms. Journal Square "open-air" in the sense that both ends are open to the outdoors, but it's still underground and has a massive office/plaza complex above it on street level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:21 AM

413 posts, read 323,277 times
It's only the Terminal 1 airport station but Minneapolis' LRT system on the Blue Line is underground here, while the Franklin Ave. and Lake St./Midtown stations, also on the Blue Line, are elevated.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:27 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Parts of the Blue and Red Lines of the Chicago L are underground - I think each has at least 5-6 underground stations.
There are 21 underground stations, 25 run in expressway medians, 88 are elevated stations and 11 run at ground level.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:54 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Doesn’t Seattle’s light rail share stations with buses? I don’t think that counts as a subway as long as that’s true. Pittsburgh’s light rail is above ground and very infrequent from what I’ve seen. Maybe there are exceptions.
Some of the stations share it with bus rapid transit in Seattle but the light rail still has its own right of way. The part I took at least. I'm not sure if part of that line runs like a tram through downtown (like the New Orleans streetcar or the Baltimore light rail) but I don't think so.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:54 AM

49 posts, read 44,456 times
Dallas has some length of a Subway under mockingbird I believe. I think it is about 130 ft deep and somewhere near a mile in length (don't quote me on the mile).

Old 01-05-2019, 07:29 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
It's a stretch to call Cleveland's red line a true subway in the technical sense. It is heavy rail and does have an underground station downtown and again at the airport. Many of the stations are below street level, so you have to take an elevator or stairway up to street level. But for the most part, the red line is not underground - in many places east of downtown it is above street level, where you walk down stairs to get to street level. All other train lines in Cleveland are light rail and for the most part - at street level or above.

I know a few people that use the term "subway" to generally refer to any form of train transit.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:40 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
St Louis technically has light rail but has 3 underground stations and the entire system is grade separated

Old 01-05-2019, 08:02 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pittsburgh's light rail system has underground components with three underground stations downtown and one underground station in North Shore in use. The parts underground and a couple other stations are where light rail services interline so are pretty frequent along that eight station segment (four underground).

Pittsburgh's geography with development concentrated due to the hilly topography and strong secondary CBD makes it a great candidate for vastly improving mass transit--though it probably needs to show signs of growing again for anyone to seriously push for an expansion.

Yeah the actual subway portion of Pittsburgh's T, service is pretty frequent if you are just riding in the north side/downtown/station square area and you can take any train. Especially at rush hour its just a few minutes wait. Not sure why that other poster said they thought service was infrequent. If traveling further south and you have to wait for a specific train, I think the Blue line to south hills village arrives every 8 minutes, and the other two lines are every 12 minutes. not sure how long outside of rush hour times, maybe that was the reason.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:28 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Does Cincinnati count? Subway was partially built but never opened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Subway

Old 01-05-2019, 11:59 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Does Cincinnati count? Subway was partially built but never opened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Subway

Ha, no to be a subway requires trains and people, not just a tunnel. Might be interesting to have a thread about cities with abandoned projects like that though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.