U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 10:32 AM

87 posts, read 65,704 times

Advertisements

Let me clarify my question because it is a picky question
- so I have been in the subways for 6 U.S. cities (NY,Philly,DC,LA,SF & Atlanta)

I saw a documentary on the Boston subway and was surprised at my naivite' (sp?) about its size, even its existence frankly. Which got me to wondering which U.S. cities have subway systems. Which led me over to Mr google. But Mr Google wasn't being the usual friend that he is. He was confusing me for these reasons -

*the term subway and transit system are sometimes used like synonyms and sometimes not
*some cities have mostly above ground transit yet may go underground just for a small bit at the end
*some cities just have a single shuttle line out to the airport
*sometimes an interstate railroad or Amtrak goes underground just at the end (main station in a city)
*some underground stations are just recessed below street level yet half open up top and bathed in sunlight

So what I was wondering was whether there are any U.S. cities (besides the 6 I name above) with a city transit system, not railroad, not single-line shuttle to the airport, but a proper system, which has a number of miles of underground track, multiple lines, and multiple fully underground stations or a proper "subway"?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 10:56 AM

4,897 posts, read 1,829,078 times
The Boston subway system was the first in the US and today is the fourth most used in the nation. It is part of an MBTA system that includes underground subway, some elevated rail (most of it was on the Orange and Green lines and has been removed and replaced underground) street level rail cars, lines in depressed open areas below street level, and ground level commuter train lines.

MBTA subway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBTA_subway

History of the MBTA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_MBTA

The system was forever immortalized by the Kingston Trio rendition of a song written in 1949:

The mag strip fare card that patrons can add value to for use on the MBTA system is actually a nod at this song as it is named the CharlieCard.

Last edited by MMS02760; 12-31-2018 at 11:20 AM..

Old 12-31-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The Boston subway system was the first in the US.

History of the MBTA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_MBTA

The system was forever immortalized by the Kingston Trio in song:

Yeah, American Experience had a whole episode on it, fascinating.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:18 AM

4,897 posts, read 1,829,078 times
Check out the rapid transit systems referenced in this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership

Old 12-31-2018, 11:23 AM

1,514 posts, read 702,434 times
Parts of the Blue and Red Lines of the Chicago L are underground - I think each has at least 5-6 underground stations.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:52 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1218 View Post
Let me clarify my question because it is a picky question
- so I have been in the subways for 6 U.S. cities (NY,Philly,DC,LA,SF & Atlanta)

I saw a documentary on the Boston subway and was surprised at my naivite' (sp?) about its size, even its existence frankly. Which got me to wondering which U.S. cities have subway systems. Which led me over to Mr google. But Mr Google wasn't being the usual friend that he is. He was confusing me for these reasons -

*the term subway and transit system are sometimes used like synonyms and sometimes not
*some cities have mostly above ground transit yet may go underground just for a small bit at the end
*some cities just have a single shuttle line out to the airport
*sometimes an interstate railroad or Amtrak goes underground just at the end (main station in a city)
*some underground stations are just recessed below street level yet half open up top and bathed in sunlight

So what I was wondering was whether there are any U.S. cities (besides the 6 I name above) with a city transit system, not railroad, not single-line shuttle to the airport, but a proper system, which has a number of miles of underground track, multiple lines, and multiple fully underground stations or a proper "subway"?

Thanks.
The majority of rapid transit lines are not fully underground. Pretty much every city(in North America at least) has elevated rapid transit tracks. Cities with subway systems will usually have underground stations in the downtown area and will have elevated tracks in the outer sections of the city.

What most people would consider a "traditional subway" is heavy rail rapid transit.
Only 11 cities in the US would qualify
NYC, Philly, DC, LA, SF, Atlanta, Cleveland, Miami, Baltimore, Boston, and Chicago.

When it comes to light rail subway systems there are 6 that qualify in the US.
Philly(Green lines), Boston(Green lines), Buffalo, Pittsburgh, St Louis, and Seattle

Old 12-31-2018, 11:53 AM

3,215 posts, read 1,543,956 times
Chicago has two lines they have only part as a subway. The Blue line from O'Hare, thru downtown, then most of the Southside length. It has the most as a subway thru a few neighborhoods and downtown. But much is in the median of a expressway, elevated as the "L" there not "el".

Whether you see then as REAL SUBWAY LINES because of being multi-usage or not?
What miles the city has IS REAL SUBWAY. Just only potions.

No line is just subway. Chicago is known more for its elevated "L"
Being even in its downtown.

This just speaks of some history and claims a Platform on the Red-line
is the longest subway platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Qlvj48YQw

This high-speed video shows the length of the Blue line. Goes from.
Median of the expressway South, then subway thru the core, then elevated,
then subway again on the Northside and then median of another expressway.
Till underground thru O'Hare.

The SUBWAY portion begins after 3.20 to 5.00 with part elevated between two sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eCn-ahRHXo

No city come close to subways of NY with elevated. But only a small section in Manhattan. Chicago is known more for elevated and express using lines. But especially using elevated in its core where all lines come and go thru.

Last edited by DavePa; 12-31-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-31-2018, 12:06 PM

233 posts, read 70,540 times
I just checked the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) website. The Red Line has 9 underground stations and the Blue Line has 11.

Chicago's L system was elevated or at grade level until the first subway opened in 1943. This is the portion of the Red Line which is underneath State St. in downtown. The stations are very deep with long escalators, as they opened during World War II, and were intended to be used as air raid shelters, also.

The Blue Line stations opened in 1951. They are underneath Dearborn St., with passenger tunnels connecting the 2 lines. Because of the opening date, the stations on this line are more aesthetically appealing. The Red Line stations were more utilitarian, due to shortage of materials and manpower during World War II.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Check out the rapid transit systems referenced in this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership
sorry been there done that, I googled and I wikied
looking for experiential answers

Old 12-31-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The majority of rapid transit lines are not fully underground. Pretty much every city(in North America at least) has elevated rapid transit tracks. Cities with subway systems will usually have underground stations in the downtown area and will have elevated tracks in the outer sections of the city.

What most people would consider a "traditional subway" is heavy rail rapid transit.
Only 11 cities in the US would qualify
NYC, Philly, DC, LA, SF, Atlanta, Cleveland, Miami, Baltimore, Boston, and Chicago.

When it comes to light rail subway systems there are 6 that qualify in the US.
Philly(Green lines), Boston(Green lines), Buffalo, Pittsburgh, St Louis, and Seattle
Thanks. Chicago and Boston of course.
Cleveland and Baltimore, yeah I suspected those but wasn't sure. Those surprise me.
From what I can tell Miami does not though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or