U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:55 PM

7,170 posts, read 5,431,813 times

Advertisements

Moved from the Detroit area to the Raleigh area, now moving from the Ann Arbor area to the Charlotte area. I'm staying put this time. I'll only travel to Michigan to visit and vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 PM

1,016 posts, read 643,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
I purposely did not elaborate because I've done it before and people get defensive, then the thread is locked or deleted. Anyone seeking more info can read previous posts or PM me.

That's your opinion, which you have a right to, but it's one I'm not inclined in the slightest to agree with. Greenwich, CT and Sumter, SC, for example, are just noticeably different in many ways.
Killingly and Voluntown are noticeably different from Greenwich in many years as well.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:54 AM

358 posts, read 110,057 times
Quote:
I purposely did not elaborate because I've done it before and people get defensive, then the thread is locked or deleted. Anyone seeking more info can read previous posts or PM me.

That's your opinion, which you have a right to, but it's one I'm not inclined in the slightest to agree with. Greenwich, CT, and Sumter, SC, for example, are just noticeably different in many ways.
I can see that even though the south as a whole is changing there still going to keep their southern traditions which are not a bad thing but it's something to think about when moving to a region that's mostly conservative, very religious, eat fried foods, and known for being extremely polite. I know plenty of northeasterners who feel more comfortable with people in the midwest than southerners despite sharing the Atlantic seaboard with a good chunk of the south. Florida does break the southern mold (hence why the retirement population is so high), very cosmopolitan, and it's very touristy to where people from other states and countries visit there, but it's pretty hot down there and the humidity is among the highest in the country. Midwest gets shares a lot of the same stigma the south gets by the coastal states as being too boring, too homogenous, conservative, and rural. One big difference between the South and the Midwest is weather. The midwest experience some of the worst winters in the US while the south experiences the worst summers.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:55 AM

358 posts, read 110,057 times
Quote:

That's your opinion, which you have a right to, but it's one I'm not inclined in the slightest to agree with. Greenwich, CT, and Sumter, SC, for example, are just noticeably different in many ways.
I can see that even though the south as a whole is changing there still going to keep their southern traditions which are not a bad thing but it's something to think about when moving to a region that's mostly conservative, very religious, eat fried foods, and known for being extremely polite. I know plenty of northeasterners who feel more comfortable with people in the midwest than southerners despite sharing the Atlantic seaboard with a good chunk of the south. Florida does break the southern mold (hence why the retirement population is so high), very cosmopolitan, and it's very touristy to where people from other states and countries visit there, but it's pretty hot down there and the humidity is among the highest in the country. Midwest shares a lot of the same stigma as the south by the coastal states as being too boring, too homogenous, conservative, and rural. One big difference between the South and the Midwest is weather. The midwest experience some of the worst winters in the US while the south experiences the worst summers.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 PM

1,866 posts, read 720,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
It may be in the 80s today but when does your summer start and end?
It is basically summer all the time down here in South Texas. The average high in January is 71 and the average low is 50. So about 80% of the time, the high temperatures are between 65 to 85 degrees. However, we do get cold snaps with high temperatures in the 40s sometimes. In the winter, we go from hot to warm to cool and back again unpredictably. So in the winter it still feels like summer or late spring with some occasional cold snaps.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:30 AM

8,822 posts, read 4,731,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
It is basically summer all the time down here in South Texas. The average high in January is 71 and the average low is 50. So about 80% of the time, the high temperatures are between 65 to 85 degrees. However, we do get cold snaps with high temperatures in the 40s sometimes. In the winter, we go from hot to warm to cool and back again unpredictably. So in the winter it still feels like summer or late spring with some occasional cold snaps.
That sounds amazing!!!!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 AM

6,981 posts, read 14,105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Where in South Texas? The cities in South Texas I'm thinking of (Houston, Austin, San Antonio) get blazing in the summer.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,885,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Where in South Texas? The cities in South Texas I'm thinking of (Houston, Austin, San Antonio) get blazing in the summer.
Again, I'm positive he lives in McAllen; which is in the Rio Grande Valley right on the Mexican border.

It's the only part of Texas that has 71/50 average high/low in January

Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
That sounds amazing!!!!
Yes, it is. That is one reason that I am down here.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Again, I'm positive he lives in McAllen; which is in the Rio Grande Valley right on the Mexican border.

It's the only part of Texas that has 71/50 average high/low in January
Yes, I live in the McAllen area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or