U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 04:12 AM

5,128 posts, read 5,840,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post

Your post reminds me of my recent conversation I had with a friend who is originally from CT and now lives in New Orleans. She has been living in New Orleans for 6 yrs. and she can't take it anymore. She's been trying to get a job in Chicago, DC, Philly, NY or Boston. But even if she doesn't get a job somewhere north by July, she will just move back with her mom temporarily because she just wants to leave. She said she would never move South again.
I know a couple of people have questioned this, but this is just so weird that I can't resist.

Unless someone falls in love with the culture of New Orleans for some inexplicable reason, I can't imagine WHY someone from CT would move there. Of all the places in the South, she chose THAT?

To say that she would never move South again based on New Orleans, is one of the silliest things I've ever heard. If the South in general was like New Orleans, I'd move out of it myself as soon as tomorrow.

This reminds me of someone I met whose boyfriend convinced her to move to the most backward town in a wonderful state. There were so many towns in the state they could have gone to that she would have fallen in love with. Now, she thinks the state is just terrible, when really, their own research was lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 AM

793 posts, read 287,839 times
The South is as larger than England, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy combined. It will have both good and bad. So yes, broad brushes and all that.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 PM

4 posts, read 1,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I see a lot of Yankees say they want to move back to see home again. Funnily enough, us Southerners were thinking the same thing, we want you back up north so we can see home again. I kid, I kid. But seriously, do you need help with the packing?
I agree! I love a lot of the Yankees I know but its crazy how many of them move and then just complain as if they didn't have a choice!

I've lived in Georgia all my life, lived three months in NJ, it wasn't at all what I'm used to, nothing like Georgia but I didn't complain, I tried my best to make it home, and eventually, I did.

If I were to generalize based off what I learned during my time in NJ, Northerners complain about the north when they're in the north and the south when they're in the south. Southerners are much more positive. I tried my hardest to like NJ, despite all the death threats I got from parking in front of a fire hydrant (I didn't know that was a law).

In my view Georgia is not perfect, NJ is not perfect, but I can honestly say I love them both because I love people in both.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:30 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
A lot of Northerners automatically move South, but why not the South West or West? I found it much better than anywhere in the South personally speaking.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:04 AM

3,554 posts, read 1,181,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
A lot of Northerners automatically move South,
but why not the South West or West?
I found it much better than anywhere in the South personally speaking.
A ton of Northerners do.

Ever heard of the saying "Go west, young man?"

Old 01-18-2019, 02:18 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBinBeen View Post
I agree! I love a lot of the Yankees I know but its crazy how many of them move and then just complain as if they didn't have a choice!

I've lived in Georgia all my life, lived three months in NJ, it wasn't at all what I'm used to, nothing like Georgia but I didn't complain, I tried my best to make it home, and eventually, I did.

If I were to generalize based off what I learned during my time in NJ, Northerners complain about the north when they're in the north and the south when they're in the south. Southerners are much more positive. I tried my hardest to like NJ, despite all the death threats I got from parking in front of a fire hydrant (I didn't know that was a law).

In my view Georgia is not perfect, NJ is not perfect, but I can honestly say I love them both because I love people in both.

It's illegal to park in front of a fire hydrant anywhere, not just in Jersey. There are signs that say as much.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:18 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,265,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
A lot of Northerners automatically move South, but why not the South West or West? I found it much better than anywhere in the South personally speaking.
Economically the South is a more viable option for many especially if they're fleeing higher costs in the North.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:28 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Economically the South is a more viable option for many especially if they're fleeing higher costs in the North.
It is just a shorter move as well.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:02 PM

1,011 posts, read 638,736 times
I grew up in Rhode Island, and I hated living in Florida because there were too many transplants from New York and New Jersey. I would have greatly preferred to be around more true Southerners, who are certainly more pleasant, polite and Protestant overall than people from the Tri-State Area.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:30 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,438,163 times
I moved from the South to the North (well technically Mid-Atlantic), NC to the DC area. I don't have any plans on moving back. NC just wasn't for me. I had real bad experiences while living there both in my small hometown and in Charlotte when I was in college. I don't care what they say but there are a lot of narrow minded people there, at least the time I was living there. DC isn't perfect, but people seem more open minded and I think due to all the diversity in this area. Not to mention the job market is better here and the location is perfect being only a few hours from other big cities like Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Pittsburgh, and even Toronto is within a couple hours drive. The beach and mountains are close by and there is just tons of things to do here.

That being said, I get the appeal of people wanting to move to the South. A lot of my family in NYC wants to move down to NC or GA due to it being more affordable which makes perfect sense. I haven't heard about too many people moving back up North after moving down South. My cousin that lives in GA misses some things about NYC, but doesn't have any desire to move back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or