U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:17 PM

29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
I purposely did not elaborate because I've done it before and people get defensive, then the thread is locked or deleted. Anyone seeking more info can read previous posts or PM me.

That's your opinion, which you have a right to, but it's one I'm not inclined in the slightest to agree with. Greenwich, CT and Sumter, SC, for example, are just noticeably different in many ways.
Yikes, Sumter...I can see why your experience wasn't ideal. Although SC may still not have been your cup of tea, you would've been a lot better off in Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, or the Charlotte suburbs in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 09:34 AM

224 posts, read 113,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yikes, Sumter...I can see why your experience wasn't ideal. Although SC may still not have been your cup of tea, you would've been a lot better off in Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, or the Charlotte suburbs in SC.
I was using Sumter for an example; I moved to Columbia, actually, as mentioned in my first post. I spent two summers in Charleston. I spent considerable time in Raleigh-Durham. Then I moved to GA.

After living in the Southeast for the better part of a decade I just had to admit to myself that I was probably never going to be happy there, it wasn't for me, and finally I left.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:41 AM

29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
I was using Sumter for an example; I moved to Columbia, actually, as mentioned in my first post. I spent two summers in Charleston. I spent considerable time in Raleigh-Durham. Then I moved to GA.

After living in the Southeast for the better part of a decade I just had to admit to myself that I was probably never going to be happy there, it wasn't for me, and finally I left.
I gotcha. Every place isn't for everyone...it is what it is.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:14 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 16 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
A ton of Northerners do.

Ever heard of the saying "Go west, young man?"
Most North Easterner's go South though. The Southwest gets a majority of transplants from California and the Midwest, states like Minnesota, Northern States like the Dakatos and some from Colorado as well as other places in the West.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Economically the South is a more viable option for many especially if they're fleeing higher costs in the North.
Right. But, you have some parts of the Southwest that aren't that expensive. And, parts of the South are not cheap at all! For example, North Carolina is not a cheap state to live in, esp. certain areas. Property taxes there can be much more than in Arizona and probably New Mexico, too. Depends on city/state/property, of course.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:16 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Right. But, you have some parts of the Southwest that aren't that expensive. And, parts of the South are not cheap at all! For example, North Carolina is not a cheap state to live in, esp. certain areas. Property taxes there can be much more than in Arizona and probably New Mexico, too. Depends on city/state/property, of course.
Even parts of the Northeast are affordable. It just comes down to getting hit in different ways and is more of an area versus state thing.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even parts of the Northeast are affordable. It just comes down to getting hit in different ways and is more of an area versus state thing.
Right. You will get hit in different ways for sure.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:20 AM

793 posts, read 288,282 times
Quote:
Many Yankees are within a dayís drive from family if they move to the Piedmont area of the South. Thatís a strong part of the appeal.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:27 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,187,224 times
Quote:
Most North Easterner's go South though. The Southwest gets a majority of transplants from California and the Midwest, states like Minnesota, Northern States like the Dakatos and some from Colorado as well as other places in the West.
As a transplant from the north myself, part of the reason I moved south vs. west is because of weather (outside of parts of Florida and the immediate gulf coast, you get still 4 seasons) and COL.

Out west, the choice is sunshine all the time versus clouds/rain (Portland/Seattle) all of the time, which gets old/boring. Plus, good luck ever buying a home if you're not making at least 6-figures.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:43 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
As a transplant from the north myself, part of the reason I moved south vs. west is because of weather (outside of parts of Florida and the immediate gulf coast, you get still 4 seasons) and COL.

Out west, the choice is sunshine all the time versus clouds/rain (Portland/Seattle) all of the time, which gets old/boring. Plus, good luck ever buying a home if you're not making at least 6-figures.
6 figures, or low 6 figures is fine if you're single. If you have a family, you will not get everything you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or