U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 AM

821 posts, read 1,296,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Economically the South is a more viable option for many especially if they're fleeing higher costs in the North.
The South economically is fools gold. Your wages are likely gonna decrease with a few exceptions. You're fleeing high costs to soon realize the money you're saving in rent/housing they'll get you in other ways. Florida is a prime example of this. SC has a high income tax. Tennessee's lack of an income tax is made up for a crazy sales tax and a tax on groceries. Nashville isn't cheap. Neither is Atlanta, Charlotte or Raleigh, a city which has poor blue collar wages but crazy rents--hard to find a 1br or even a studio for under $800 in a decent area, but you can in Chicago, Milwaukee and even parts of the northeast. With utilities included.

To me, Houston and maybe Greensboro are the only cities in the South that have a better economic balance. Affordable rents, wages that aren't that bad for the area and no crazy sales/income taxes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 10:39 AM

3,580 posts, read 1,192,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
The South economically is fools gold. Your wages are likely gonna decrease with a few exceptions. You're fleeing high costs to soon realize the money you're saving in rent/housing they'll get you in other ways. Florida is a prime example of this. SC has a high income tax. Tennessee's lack of an income tax is made up for a crazy sales tax and a tax on groceries. Nashville isn't cheap. Neither is Atlanta, Charlotte or Raleigh, a city which has poor blue collar wages but crazy rents--hard to find a 1br or even a studio for under $800 in a decent area, but you can in Chicago, Milwaukee and even parts of the northeast. With utilities included.

To me, Houston and maybe Greensboro are the only cities in the South that have a better economic balance. Affordable rents, wages that aren't that bad for the area and no crazy sales/income taxes.
No place is perfect, but the latest trends in migration suggest more people would rather live in an area that is growing with decent weather ("decent" meaning little snow and sunny/short winters) instead of an area that's stagnant with poor weather.

BTW, Houston has a sales tax of 8.25%, almost as high as Tennessee.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:47 AM

13 posts, read 6,503 times
I'm from the Midwest (Illinois) but I live in Florida. I love it down here but I do think I will move back to Illinois or the Midwest eventually. I am young so I have time, but career prospects and pay are better up there usually. And the crime is less and people are better ( to an extent). Although the people in this part of Florida are great and crime isn't too bad.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 PM

6,960 posts, read 14,089,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
No place is perfect, but the latest trends in migration suggest more people would rather live in an area that is growing with decent weather ("decent" meaning little snow and sunny/short winters) instead of an area that's stagnant with poor weather.

The migration is happening based off of false pretenses though. People think "oh wow there are so many people moving to NC/SC/GA/FL maybe I should go too" but they're not realizing what they're sacrificing by doing so. Yes, housing list prices and rent are often cheaper. But salaries are often much lower, social programs/employee protections are not as strong if you lose your job, and if you're LGBT you can still be fired or evicted in many parts of the South just for the way you were born. And idk all the tax codes for every place in the south, but I'm sure those municipalities and states have to operate SOMEHOW, so if it's not a tax from one thing, you're getting taxed another way to pay for your government's operating cost. Governments don't run for free.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:44 PM

989 posts, read 593,810 times
We moved from the Chicago suburbs to Tucson AZ about 15 years ago. We did like AZ, but Tucson really is a bad place to make a nice income. Also, except for housing, costs were the same or worse. It was more expensive to register and insure your cars, for example. And we had to drive farther to get anywhere, so we were constantly filling our gas tanks.

I didn't find the attitude all that different though. Tucson has a lot of transplants and the locals were fine people. Other than the anti-growth sentiment, the culture was just fine for us.

Weather wise, it was slightly better there. Trading cold winters for hot summers. Slight edge to AZ, but it wasn't a total slaughter. We missed the old, stately architecture found in and around Chicago as well.

Ultimately, we moved back to Chicago 2 years later for job related opportunities and higher earning potential. If not for that, we would have been happy staying.

In hindsight though, with some of our kids' education needs, we were really glad we came back. The schools in Tucson were horrific and we'd have never resolved some issues we had if it weren't for the amazing public schools in the Chicago suburbs.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM

2,428 posts, read 1,665,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
<cut
I think what a lot of people who make the move forget, because all they can think about is lower COL, spending time at the beach or golf course year round, or whatever else, is that many of them are moving far from the people that they love and other people who are just like minded in a regional sense, which can feel very lonely, especially if the new neighbors aren't extremely friendly. I think this is why some retirees from the North find communities in places like Florida and Arizona that are filled with other people who are from the same general region up north and/or fly their adult kids in frequently to fill the void. I know that if DH and I moved somewhere like FL or SC we would constantly miss our kids and no beach or warm January would ever make up for that. Not to mention that we are getting relatively balmy weather up here in the winters more and more (no snow at all so far this winter, highs in the upper 40s for the past several days and brilliantly sunny), and then there are our beautiful, temperate springs, summers and falls, moderate COL but higher wages, and much less congestion and influx of newcomers. It just makes sense to be here right now.
We moved to FL in part because our son/DIL and grandkids live here. Warmer weather and being near family have been a nice change from our many years in NY. Our roots are in the Midwest, but we have no desire to live in a landlocked state again.

Would I move North again? If the circumstances were right, perhaps. I’ve found it best to not use the word never. FL was never on our radar and yet here we are. We’ve kept an open mind and did not expect, or attempt, to replicate a life from up North in the South. We like our life here, but location is not the driving factor in our happiness.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-21-2019 at 03:34 PM..

Old 01-21-2019, 03:48 PM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:

Greensboro?????

Old 01-21-2019, 06:52 PM

793 posts, read 288,806 times
You can get a really nice studio for $800 in Raleigh. You can get a 3-bedroom townhouse in suburban heaven for less than twice that.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 PM

821 posts, read 1,296,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Houston doesn't have a tax on groceries. And you can't eat the weather.

Quote:
Greensboro?????
I said maybe Mutiny. But is it that bad down there in terms of earning a living?

Old 01-22-2019, 04:04 AM

3,580 posts, read 1,192,088 times
Quote:
Houston doesn't have a tax on groceries. And you can't eat the weather.
Like I said, no place is perfect.

If you're content with living in some place like Milwaukee, then good for you. Everyone is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or