U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 03:45 PM

712 posts, read 397,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Right, I didn't mean to imply NOVA is "down south". The only area that "feels" Southern to me in VA is Richmond. But the point I was trying to make is I do miss some aspects of New England. Especially quick drive to the beach and small quaint towns.

Interesting about NY losing 50k people in 2018 alone. I read recently that since 2010, NY lost around 1.2m people. Although I'm not sure how true that is. Even if some do move back, it doesn't appear that NY's population will increase any time soon. At least not without immigration.
Net domestic migration from NYS has in fact been in the region of -1.2 million since 2010. Natural increase and immigration help offset this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 04:10 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,698,507 times
I did after six years

Old 01-01-2019, 04:16 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
I do miss the New England Coastal and small quaint towns.

There are several small coastal towns in Virginia that might really appeal to you. Some are artsy, some are also pretty old and definitely quaint. Then you'd have the best of both worlds. Consider Mathews, Kilmarnock, Tappahannock, Hayes, Montross, and (my personal favorite) Gloucester Courthouse. If being near a beach isn't a top priority, you might consider towns like Floyd, harrisonburg, and (another favorite) Gordonsville

My town (Williamsburg) isn't exactly coastal, but we do have three nice beaches within ten miles. It's a good choice for people who like being around other people from the northeast, considering the high number of people from NY, NJ, PA, and New England who have retired here. If you'd find that interesting I wrote a long thread on the Virginia forum about reasons to retire here. There are also a few threads on the Retirement Forum on Williamsburg as a retirement choice; one even has a whole bunch of photos. Getting back to my post in the VA forum, a lot of the things in my list might also be applicable to some of the other towns near here. Not sure if you're interested in coastal VA, but if you are city-data has a lot of detailed info on the area.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 01-01-2019 at 04:38 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 04:31 PM

3,552 posts, read 1,181,509 times
It would take a lot for me to move back north, given the choices are either extremely expensive cities, citoes with constant overcast skies or places that lack employment opportunities for the pay I make now and/or big city amenities.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:28 PM

2,501 posts, read 2,262,328 times
I did it sort of. I moved to Atlanta from NYC and really disliked the city. I didnt like the culture, being in a car constantly as walkable areas were in just a few pockets and having interesting spots to visit dispersed throughout. Also didnt like feeling as though I was living in a semi dense commercial node suburb. I left and moved to SF which isnt the north but after SF, my job took me to DC. Loved my time in SF and am really enjoying DC.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:46 PM

18,909 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Guilty. I'm from Chicago, moved to Atlanta and then moved back to Chicago. I much prefer the North with the change of seasons and a real winter w/ snow. I was miserable down south with the never ending heat/humidity. Plus, it never felt like home. Much happier now that I'm back North.
Exaggerate much? As someone who lives in Phoenix, which is a heck of a lot warmer than Atlanta is in the winter, we still get cold in the winter ourselves. Afaic, Atlanta has a winter.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:05 PM

3,552 posts, read 1,181,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exaggerate much? As someone who lives in Phoenix, which is a heck of a lot warmer than Atlanta is in the winter, we still get cold in the winter ourselves. Afaic, Atlanta has a winter.
For some, if it isn't always cloudy, snowflakes aren't always flying in the air and there isn't several inches of snow or more on the ground much of the time, it's not "winter."

Old 01-01-2019, 10:10 PM

56,507 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Net domestic migration from NYS has in fact been in the region of -1.2 million since 2010. Natural increase and immigration help offset this.
It also doesn’t help that a move to the suburbs/exurbs for those living in NYC could also mean a move to NJ, CT or even PA as well.

It will be interesting to see the official numbers once they come out.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:22 AM

18,909 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
For some, if it isn't always cloudy, snowflakes aren't always flying in the air and there isn't several inches of snow or more on the ground much of the time, it's not "winter."
And that's about as logical as me saying that if it doesn't hit 100°+ every day for 3 months, then it's not summer....

Old 01-02-2019, 05:29 AM

1,787 posts, read 2,144,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What is cold to you? I was in Phoenix in early and mid December 2018, and daily high temperatures were in the mid-60s to low-70s. So is 55 cold? Do they ever have to snowplow Mill Avenue or put salt down on Indian School?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or