U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 09:50 AM

6,960 posts, read 14,089,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Well, because I'm from NE and I've been hearing lately about "many" Northeasterners moving back North, so I stared this thread about NE, simple as that. But this is open forum so anyone can chime in. Like the individual who moved to Louisville and back to CA. I enjoy reading individual's impression when one moves to a different region.
Close I moved from Louisville to Jersey City. Similar concept though. I know CA isn't NE or Northern by definition, but culturally it's more Northern than Southern.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 10:56 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,868,703 times
Quote:
Your post reminds me of my recent conversation I had with a friend who is originally from CT and now lives in New Orleans. She has been living in New Orleans for 6 yrs. and she can't take it anymore. She's been trying to get a job in Chicago, DC, Philly, NY or Boston. But even if she doesn't get a job somewhere north by July, she will just move back with her mom temporarily because she just wants to leave. She said she would never move South again.

Over Christmas, I was in CT and heard that a lot of individuals from CT who moved South are moving back to CT. That was in addition to posts I was reading online. So that sparked my interest and made me wonder: were those anomalies or is this more prevalent trend? Hmm.
You mean she would never move to one of poorest cities in one of the poorest states?

The south like all other regions are not equal.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:04 AM

5,452 posts, read 2,294,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You mean she would never move to one of poorest cities in one of the poorest states?

The south like all other regions are not equal.

That seems to be especially the case with New Orleans. People go down and have fun at Mardi Gras or some such, never realizing that it is easily the most dysfunctional place in the country. I used to do business in New Orleans, but finally threw up my hands because of the sheer inertia of the place. God help you if you need to get anything done between December 15th and the beginning of Lent.

Basically, remarks like that are equivalent to saying, "I moved to Inner City Detroit [Pick the blighted equivalent in your state] and hated it. So I can't wait to move back."

Old 01-03-2019, 11:10 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,868,703 times
Quote:
Well, because I'm from NE and I've been hearing lately about "many" Northeasterners moving back North, so I stared this thread about NE, simple as that. But this is open forum so anyone can chime in. Like the individual who moved to Louisville and back to CA. I enjoy reading individual's impression when one moves to a different region.
The data does not really support the bold claim. Maybe they are moving back but to a different state? Or maybe they are moving back but way more are leaving. Who knows...

CT lost 153,276 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
IL lost 642,821 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
NY lost 1,022,071 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration

Then you have...

TX gained 944,018 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
FL gained 1,025,261 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
GA gained 163,536 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p.../state/Georgia

Old 01-03-2019, 11:59 AM

224 posts, read 113,897 times
Quote:
The data does not really support the bold claim. Maybe they are moving back but to a different state?
I did. From Northeast to South to Upper Midwest.

I'll add my experience later.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:07 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,199,984 times
Quote:
The data does not really support the bold claim. Maybe they are moving back but to a different state? Or maybe they are moving back but way more are leaving. Who knows...

CT lost 153,276 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
IL lost 642,821 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
NY lost 1,022,071 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration

Then you have...

TX gained 944,018 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
FL gained 1,025,261 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
GA gained 163,536 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p.../state/Georgia
Please note that these numbers represent NET migration. Texas actually shows a higher percentage of residents leaving the state than NY, but unlike NY there are also a larger percentage of new arrivals. So, it's not that people are leaving the North so much more than elsewhere, but that fewer people are arriving.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:40 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That depends on where you are in Virginia. Much of VA geographically is still culturally Southern. The thing is that relatively few people live in those areas.
I know when I travel I-81 in VA, I feel like I am definitely in the Deep South.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:53 PM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Thank you Piney Creek for that information! The only town from your list that I heard of was Kilmarnock, which is on my list to visit. I did a quick search of Gloucester and Gordonsville and the pictures online look beautiful! Looks like I will have more roads trips this year.

And I love Williamsburg! I think that would be a safe bet for retirement. It's a beautiful area, people are very nice and it has all the stores one would need for every day shopping, although I wish Wegmans was close by. I also heard there are many retirees from NE and NOVA so I wouldn't have to worry about "fitting-in". Williamsburg is also great because it's not as hot as lets FL and the winters aren't harsh as NE.
You know what - my very favorite locale in the entire world is Yorktown, VA (as you probably know, Yorktown, Williamsburg, and Jamestown make up the Historic Triangle of Virginia and are all very close together, and also close to the Hampton Roads area). I love Texas but THAT SPOT is my ultimate favorite location - maybe I'll retire there one day, who knows? I visit that region every chance I get. Just revisited it a few months ago in fact.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:54 PM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Your post reminds me of my recent conversation I had with a friend who is originally from CT and now lives in New Orleans. She has been living in New Orleans for 6 yrs. and she can't take it anymore. She's been trying to get a job in Chicago, DC, Philly, NY or Boston. But even if she doesn't get a job somewhere north by July, she will just move back with her mom temporarily because she just wants to leave. She said she would never move South again.

Over Christmas, I was in CT and heard that a lot of individuals from CT who moved South are moving back to CT. That was in addition to posts I was reading online. So that sparked my interest and made me wonder: were those anomalies or is this more prevalent trend? Hmm.
Just for the record, I love the south and am FROM New Orleans, but New Orleans is an extreme example of a southern city. It's an oddball place with very extreme weather that isn't typical of the south. And I haven't even scratched the surface of the whole culture thing.

"Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there."

Old 01-03-2019, 04:56 PM

337 posts, read 117,035 times
I moved to Atlanta from New York State (near Buffalo) in 1986. Not a chance in hell I am ever moving back :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or