U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:00 PM
 
180 posts, read 90,972 times
Reputation: 285

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You mean she would never move to one of poorest cities in one of the poorest states?

The south like all other regions are not equal.
Of course all regions are nor equal. She has visited 48 states, only hasn't been to HI and AK, so she's very aware of the differences. But the "South" does not resonate with her and she's eager to move back North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,134 posts, read 45,664,410 times
Reputation: 61818
I moved from OH to GA. Do I miss some things about OH? Sure, but I still wouldnít want to move back. I donít mind the snow or the cold, but what I canít tolerate is the month after month of gray skies and no sun. It depends upon where you live. I was born in MA, and I donít remember the grayness like in Ohio.

Now, Iím in coastal GA. The summers are brutal, and I miss the summers in Ohio, but all in all, I need the sun shine year round, and that makes up for the negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 PM
 
180 posts, read 90,972 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The data does not really support the bold claim. Maybe they are moving back but to a different state? Or maybe they are moving back but way more are leaving. Who knows...

CT lost 153,276 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
IL lost 642,821 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
NY lost 1,022,071 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration


Then you have...

TX gained 944,018 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
FL gained 1,025,261 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
GA gained 163,536 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p.../state/Georgia
Right, precisely! That's my whole point for this thread. I am very familiar with the data and that NE is losing significant population. But as I mentioned previously, I hear of more and more individuals wanting to move back north so that's why I posed the question, to see if there's a significant trend. My 20 something nephew will be moving back to CT towards the end of the month, after moving to FL few yrs. ago. He absolutely hates FL. He even broke up with his girlfriend because he can't take FL any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:22 PM
 
802 posts, read 292,161 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Right, precisely! That's my whole point for this thread. I am very familiar with the data and that NE is losing significant population. But as I mentioned previously, I hear of more and more individuals wanting to move back north so that's why I posed the question, to see if there's a significant trend. My 20 something nephew will be moving back to CT towards the end of the month, after moving to FL few yrs. ago. He absolutely hates FL. He even broke up with his girlfriend because he can't take FL any longer.
It happens Iím sure because home is a strong incentive. But if anything I think the domestic outmigration from the NE has increased post-recession. So itís not a real trend I donít think, except maybe a trend in your personal anecdotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:26 PM
 
180 posts, read 90,972 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Close I moved from Louisville to Jersey City. Similar concept though. I know CA isn't NE or Northern by definition, but culturally it's more Northern than Southern.
Sorry, I didn't see anything regarding NJ so I assumed you moved back to CA.

And I agree, things do move slower in the South. Recently I went to FL just for a day and while there, I stopped at a coffee shop to get a cup of coffee. There were like three individuals in front of me but the staff were moving so ever slowly, I just left. I think it would have taken like 30 min. to get a cup of coffee. And mind you, this wasn't a fancy type of coffee shop; all they had to do is pour the coffee, add some cream and sugar and I would have been good to go! I don't think my personality type is well suited for the south. Maybe I would learn to slow down eventually, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 06:06 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 1,205,866 times
Reputation: 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The data does not really support the bold claim. Maybe they are moving back but to a different state? Or maybe they are moving back but way more are leaving. Who knows...

CT lost 153,276 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
IL lost 642,821 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
NY lost 1,022,071 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration


Then you have...

TX gained 944,018 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
FL gained 1,025,261 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration
GA gained 163,536 from 2010-2017 through domestic migration

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p.../state/Georgia
Details about NET migration:

In 2017:
NY: 285,252 moved to NY from other states, 452,580 moved AWAY
TX: 524,511 moved to TX from other states, 467,383 moved AWAY
FL: 566,476 moved to FL from other states, 477,586 moved AWAY

So, while NY had a net loss, there were more actual people moving away from TX and FL (and CA) than NY.

NY is actually is the 5th highest state for people moving in from other states, behind only CA, FL, TX, and NC.

Top destinations for NYers were FL, NJ, PA, CA, CT
Top movers to NY were from NJ, PA, CA, FL, CT

Reference: ACS Census Data: https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...migration.html

NY will be +2 more later this year...

Last edited by RocketSci; 01-03-2019 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 PM
 
3,623 posts, read 1,211,824 times
Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I moved from OH to GA. Do I miss some things about OH? Sure, but I still wouldnít want to move back. I donít mind the snow or the cold, but what I canít tolerate is the month after month of gray skies and no sun. It depends upon where you live. I was born in MA, and I donít remember the grayness like in Ohio.

Now, Iím in coastal GA. The summers are brutal, and I miss the summers in Ohio, but all in all, I need the sun shine year round, and that makes up for the negatives.
YAAASSS!!! to the bolded.

I feel the same way and is part of the reason I made the same move (originally from MI).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
5,186 posts, read 3,723,220 times
Reputation: 6098
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I moved from OH to GA. Do I miss some things about OH? Sure, but I still wouldn’t want to move back. I don’t mind the snow or the cold, but what I can’t tolerate is the month after month of gray skies and no sun. It depends upon where you live. I was born in MA, and I don’t remember the grayness like in Ohio.

Now, I’m in coastal GA. The summers are brutal, and I miss the summers in Ohio, but all in all, I need the sun shine year round, and that makes up for the negatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
YAAASSS!!! to the bolded.

I feel the same way and is part of the reason I made the same move (originally from MI).
Although I feel like we get plenty of sun in the Chicago area, I know some are genuinely affected by SAD. You can still get lots of sun and snow in places like Denver. One of my complaints about the weather here in Chicago is that we don't get enough snow. I'm actually considering a relo to the Michigan side of the lake where they get hit hard by lake effect snow. Me and the sun don't get along anyway, 30 minutes of exposure and I look like a ripe tomato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 10:42 AM
 
3,623 posts, read 1,211,824 times
Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Although I feel like we get plenty of sun in the Chicago area, I know some are genuinely affected by SAD. You can still get lots of sun and snow in places like Denver. One of my complaints about the weather here in Chicago is that we don't get enough snow. I'm actually considering a relo to the Michigan side of the lake where they get hit hard by lake effect snow. Me and the sun don't get along anyway, 30 minutes of exposure and I look like a ripe tomato.
Sounds like you'll be right at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 07:08 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,771 posts, read 2,563,165 times
Reputation: 2990
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Details about NET migration:

In 2017:
NY: 285,252 moved to NY from other states, 452,580 moved AWAY
TX: 524,511 moved to TX from other states, 467,383 moved AWAY
FL: 566,476 moved to FL from other states, 477,586 moved AWAY

So, while NY had a net loss, there were more actual people moving away from TX and FL (and CA) than NY.

NY is actually is the 5th highest state for people moving in from other states, behind only CA, FL, TX, and NC.

Top destinations for NYers were FL, NJ, PA, CA, CT
Top movers to NY were from NJ, PA, CA, FL, CT

Reference: ACS Census Data: https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...migration.html

NY will be +2 more later this year...
Texas, and Florida both also have millions more than NY as well now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top