Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 05:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
What is cold to you? I was in Phoenix in early and mid December 2018, and daily high temperatures were in the mid-60s to low-70s. So is 55 cold? Do they ever have to snowplow Mill Avenue or put salt down on Indian School?
No, it never snows here (on the Valley floor). But when highs are below 60 and lows are below 50 (both happen regularly despite averages, heck it's 33 degrees as I type this); it's cold to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 05:40 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
And that's about as logical as me saying that if it doesn't hit 100°+ every day for 3 months, then it's not summer....
Yep.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:09 AM

1,020 posts, read 909,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
I live in Northern VA, aprox. 20 miles from DC. So no, I'm not in the "South" but mid-Atlantic area. But you're right, NOVA is different from the rest of VA. Yrs. ago I used to date someone from Fredricksburg, which is about an hr. south, and he used to refer to NOVA like it was another state. Since I live in the DC Metro area, my transition from North was easy. However, when I recently visited Richmond, I think I would have difficulty getting acclimated to that area. Although I don't think I would have any issues living in Williamsburg or Cape Charles, VA, which is about 3 hrs. south from me. So I'm thinking weather one's move from North to South is a permanent one, it all depends on the specific city/town one selects to move to.
These are really odd comments as a large portion of Fredericksburg residents commute to DC for work. Fredericksburg is also in the same metro as the rest of NOVA and DC and is also spelled Fredericksburg.

You found Richmond to be more southern than Jamestown?

Last edited by mpier015; 01-02-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-02-2019, 07:41 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,473,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exaggerate much? As someone who lives in Phoenix, which is a heck of a lot warmer than Atlanta is in the winter, we still get cold in the winter ourselves. Afaic, Atlanta has a winter.
Atlanta rarely gets any snow. It's just cold, rainy and miserable. We went ~5 years at one point with no measurable snowfall. You can call it what you want, but that's not Winter in my book! Plus, the summers are insanely hot nonstop, Phoenix is even worse. No thanks, all yours!

Old 01-02-2019, 07:44 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
These are really odd comments as a large portion of Fredericksburg residents commute to DC for work. Fredericksburg is also in the same metro as the rest of NOVA and DC and is also spelled Fredericksburg.

You found Richmond to be more southern then Jamestown?
There is a fairly distinct cultural disconnect bw Fredericksburg and the primary Nova counties.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:47 AM

1,020 posts, read 909,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
There is a fairly distinct cultural disconnect bw Fredericksburg and the primary Nova counties.
Distinct but not distinct enough for the average resident to think of NOVA as a different state given the number of residents that VRE deeper into NOVA and to DC for work. If they had said Caroline I probably wouldn't have mentioned it. I just don't see the average Fredericksburg resident sharing those sentiments.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,637 times
Northern Virginia is very much like the rest of Virginia (well VA east of the Blue Ridge). It’s just a lot bigger. Henrico is a mini Fairfax for example. NOVA is much more than the metro line and awesome Korean food. The landscape, street names , housing styles, family names, university ties, religious adherence, cuisine, development patterns and military/government contractor presence are all similar to other metro areas in the commonwealth. Tidewater, Charlottesville and Richmond are also mostly comprised of transplants.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:15 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Atlanta rarely gets any snow. It's just cold, rainy and miserable. We went ~5 years at one point with no measurable snowfall. You can call it what you want, but that's not Winter in my book! Plus, the summers are insanely hot nonstop, Phoenix is even worse. No thanks, all yours!
You said year round heat/humidity in the post you made that I quoted, that was the exaggeration, and Atlanta typically sees highs ranging from the 30s up to the 70s in winter and with lows ranging from around 10 degrees up to the 50s. That's not heat, that's why I said you exaggerated

Old 01-02-2019, 08:30 AM

27,537 posts, read 28,625,446 times
I was vacationing in Tampa during the holidays. And the entire time, my kids were asking me - "Why exactly do we live up there and not here?"

lol

Old 01-02-2019, 08:41 AM

821 posts, read 759,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It also doesn’t help that a move to the suburbs/exurbs for those living in NYC could also mean a move to NJ, CT or even PA as well.

It will be interesting to see the official numbers once they come out.
Those states have migration numbers almost as bad as NYS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.