Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:09 PM

324 posts, read 384,032 times

Advertisements

I was a NY/ME/MA/MD resident at various points in my life and finally retired in NC. I will not be returning north except for visits. At times even NC seems too cold now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 12:38 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Well, for starters, people generally do not leave Florida because it is “too hot.” That includes native-born residents and transplants from “up North.”

Instead, people leave Florida because salaries and wages are low and non-competitive relative to the cost-of-living, which is deceptively high.

Also, it is very challenging for a careerist in Florida to advance in his or her career field without moving out of state. Sadly, there is a low volume of quality, reputable employers throughout most of the state.

Remember, economics is always the primary catalyst for relocation after school.
I would agree with this as the economic data spells it out quite clearly regarding Florida. The state cannot continue to overly rely on a service based economy that is primarily dependent on: construction, real estate, tourism, in-migration of new people in huge numbers, and a low number of professional track jobs in percentage terms.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:45 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the overall cost of living isn’t that high, if at all(at highest at the national average) and the property tax rate for most counties in the North Country/Adirondacks of NY is in the 1.5-2.1% range. Hence the reason for mentioning a couple of the counties(was thinking of Lowville in between Watertown and Utica/Rome in Lewis County and Ticonderoga closer to Glens Falls or Keeseville closer to Plattsburgh in Essex County). Can view rates here: https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-yor...tor#UUBmF35UUb

Something to consider in that regard: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/exemption/index.htm
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...etoverview.htm

Median home sales price: https://www.tax.ny.gov/research/prop.../resmedian.htm
(Jefferson, Franklin, St. Lawrence and Clinton are other counties in that region)

Again, not to argue, but just to clarify the initial reason for the suggestion.
Thank you for the information, I will look it over. I am well aware of how nice the Adirondacks are, I've spent a good amount of time in Saranac Lake and Lake Placid area due to the enormous amount of trails in the region.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:46 PM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm assuming he lives in McAllen, where the normal high is in the 90s from early May until early October (about a month longer than Dallas)
McAllen is over 500 miles south of Dallas for some perspective. It's considerably hotter longer there than most other parts of Texas.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:52 PM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Wow. That sounds...awful. Surprised people consider this "good" weather.
It's on the border of Texas and Mexico - most of Texas doesn't have the same weather pattern as McAllen. McAllen is over 500 miles south of Dallas for instance. McAllen is nearly 600 miles south of Odessa and about 750 miles south of Amarillo. That's about as far as Des Moines, Iowa is from Huntsville, Alabama!

Texas is a really, really big state.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:03 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,451,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm assuming he lives in McAllen, where the normal high is in the 90s from early May until early October (about two month's longer than Dallas)
Fixed the bolded

Old 01-06-2019, 07:51 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,698,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
I might have said a bit of this before on this forum...I'm from New England and moved to Columbia, South Carolina. Culture shock! Almost everything was completely opposite from what I'd known. Then I moved for work to just on the SC side of Savannah. Ditto. So then I moved to Atlanta. It was better but it's still a Southern city, which is certainly not a Northeastern city. I'm in the Midwest now, which is a better fit.

I've known and know several Northeasterners in the South. Most stay there and will never move back North because it is affordable. Even though most have the means to back, they are already used to not paying extremely high prices. A lot of Northeastern states should consider how they're pushing out the solidly middle class and what that will mean in the future.

Some do like it in the South, especially those who hate snow... For me, it was simply too culturally different. Trying to find like-minded people was difficult and everyday things like work, neighbor relations, and the like are made more difficult when you're always coming from a different perspective. There were things that I valued --that I didn't know that I valued when I lived in the NE-- that I couldn't find in these places. It was the definition of a poor fit. If I do decide to move again it will only be back to the NE.
I think you should further elaborate on why Georgia and South Carolina were such poor fits for you, and I suggest providing examples. Quite frankly, I don’t think any of the states along the Eastern Seaboard are that radically different from one another, excluding Florida, of course.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:47 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,589,428 times
IDK Wife and I are considering moving South due to lower cost of rents, more square footage of property at a lower cost, taxes, warmer winter's, lower cost of higher education, and Cities are newer. Only downside is significant cut in pay.

Accumulated debt that hopefully could be reduced and he able to move South.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:44 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,258,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I was vacationing in Tampa during the holidays. And the entire time, my kids were asking me - "Why exactly do we live up there and not here?"

lol
Our kids used to ask that when we vacationed in the South too, but they were kids and we were on vacation so to them, that place represented fun, staying in a new place as opposed to their bedrooms back home, and doing fun things all day every day as a family. Home was school, chores, responsibility, and while we still did a lot of fun things together as a family, it wasn't all day every day because we had other things that needed done much of the time.

Now that they are grown, they don't feel that way at all and are very happily situated up here , too happily for me sometimes as there are times of the year where I think I could move if they would go with us, but on the other hand, we are happy here too and would probably end up moving right back if we did move South, as we did when we moved to Arizona about ten years ago.

I think what a lot of people who make the move forget, because all they can think about is lower COL, spending time at the beach or golf course year round, or whatever else, is that many of them are moving far from the people that they love and other people who are just like minded in a regional sense, which can feel very lonely, especially if the new neighbors aren't extremely friendly. I think this is why some retirees from the North find communities in places like Florida and Arizona that are filled with other people who are from the same general region up north and/or fly their adult kids in frequently to fill the void. I know that if DH and I moved somewhere like FL or SC we would constantly miss our kids and no beach or warm January would ever make up for that. Not to mention that we are getting relatively balmy weather up here in the winters more and more (no snow at all so far this winter, highs in the upper 40s for the past several days and brilliantly sunny), and then there are our beautiful, temperate springs, summers and falls, moderate COL but higher wages, and much less congestion and influx of newcomers. It just makes sense to be here right now.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:30 PM

225 posts, read 209,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I think you should further elaborate on why Georgia and South Carolina were such poor fits for you, and I suggest providing examples.
I purposely did not elaborate because I've done it before and people get defensive, then the thread is locked or deleted. Anyone seeking more info can read previous posts or PM me.

Quote:
Quite frankly, I don’t think any of the states along the Eastern Seaboard are that radically different from one another, excluding Florida, of course.
That's your opinion, which you have a right to, but it's one I'm not inclined in the slightest to agree with. Greenwich, CT and Sumter, SC, for example, are just noticeably different in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.