U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:19 PM

23,052 posts, read 35,003,509 times

Advertisements

Least insular = High Growth Cities
Most Insular = Low Growth Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:11 PM

110 posts, read 40,722 times
I do not think that Richmond qualifies as an insular city in any way. The city is open minded and accepting of people from all cultures and backgrounds. However, the area still has a large proportion of native born residents. The First Families of Virginia still has a large presence in many parts of the city. Especially in the West End and Western Henrico County. However, native Richmonders do not represent the confederacy. Richmond does not and never has been a true representation of the confederacy. In actuality, the First Families of Virginia are related to the families who founded cities such as Baltimore and settled the areas around Washington DC. These areas are never associated with the confederacy. It was chosen as capital for because of its northerly location and abundance of industry. Richmond voted against joining the confederacy. People need to understand that the confederacy did not change who native Richmonders were, it only changed how outsiders view the city.

As far as Richmonds insularity, I would not describe Richmond as transplant heavy. As I mentioned before, the city still has many families that have been here for many generations. However, it is a very progressive city that is open to different ways of living, and different ways of thinking. Also, assuming that a city with low growth is more insular is not always correct. Richmond does not have a high growth rate but it is far from insular. The geography, history, and industry of the city also influences its insularity.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:25 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans is very insular. Very. And I completely understand it
I also get that feeling, in that NO natives are insular both in terms of transplants AND who they consider a true New Orleanian. I think of the suburbs only Metairie and Kenner are considered to be true New Orleans people. Even Slidell and Covington aren't considered true New Orleans by some people though these areas are populated mostly by urban transplants. Many New Orleanians also don't consider Tangipahoa and Washington Parishes to be part of the NO region though technically they are part of the consolidated metro area.

I understand the business community is extremely insular and nepotism is just an accepted part of life.

Very interesting since New Orleans IS very accepting of alternative lifestyles, the counterculture, liberal politics etc compared to the rest of Louisiana and to the South at large. The kind of out of state transplants New Orleans gets are actually the ones who are truly attracted to its culture and want to assimilate into it, unlike the northern transplants who go to Charlotte, Dallas, or Atlanta who are there only for work or a cheaper cost of living and want to bring their old ways with them.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:01 AM

3,785 posts, read 6,517,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
From places I have frequent visited:

Least Insular:
Nashville, TN
Atlanta, GA
Charlotte, NC
Orlando, FL
Tampa Bay, FL area
Louisville, KY

Most insular:
Lexington, KY
Memphis, TN
Huntsville, AL
Little Rock, AR
Huntsville ? I don't know about that one because it's rare to find a native in the Huntsville area one.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I also get that feeling, in that NO natives are insular both in terms of transplants AND who they consider a true New Orleanian. I think of the suburbs only Metairie and Kenner are considered to be true New Orleans people. Even Slidell and Covington aren't considered true New Orleans by some people though these areas are populated mostly by urban transplants. Many New Orleanians also don't consider Tangipahoa and Washington Parishes to be part of the NO region though technically they are part of the consolidated metro area.

I understand the business community is extremely insular and nepotism is just an accepted part of life.

Very interesting since New Orleans IS very accepting of alternative lifestyles, the counterculture, liberal politics etc compared to the rest of Louisiana and to the South at large. The kind of out of state transplants New Orleans gets are actually the ones who are truly attracted to its culture and want to assimilate into it, unlike the northern transplants who go to Charlotte, Dallas, or Atlanta who are there only for work or a cheaper cost of living and want to bring their old ways with them.
From an anecdotal standpoint, I would agree with most everything you said. Reminds me of the time I made a reservation at Gallatoire's (a stalwart of 'Old New Orleans') only to be bumped down the list over and over in favor of obvious insiders that had just sauntered in from off the street. We finally had to leave in favor of a place more amenable to 'tourists', as my companion was diabetic and had to eat.
As to the bolded, the Metairieans I've met feel a keen sense of separateness from New Orleans. The term 'Old Metairie' carries with it a message that they are very much their own society and are not to be associated with NOLA. Odd, I know, as it isn't even an incorporated area.
I remember what a stir Anne Rice caused a few years ago when she relocated from the Garden District to Metairie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/17/u...-suburban.html

Old 01-04-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Huntsville ? I don't know about that one because it's rare to find a native in the Huntsville area one.
I've known a couple of natives and yeah, I would deem that stratum of Huntsville society pretty insular. They tend to stay in the older neighborhoods there ie Twickenham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twicke...toric_District

Old 01-04-2019, 10:30 AM

3,785 posts, read 6,517,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
From places I have frequent visited:

Least Insular:
Nashville, TN
Atlanta, GA
Charlotte, NC
Orlando, FL
Tampa Bay, FL area
Louisville, KY

Most insular:
Lexington, KY
Memphis, TN
Huntsville, AL
Little Rock, AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I've known a couple of natives and yeah, I would deem that stratum of Huntsville society pretty insular. They tend to stay in the older neighborhoods there ie Twickenham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twicke...toric_District
I'm originally from Mobile and lived in Huntsville for 3 years.Twickenham is just a historic district.And I wouldn't call it an enclave for locals.Mostly non locals live in Twickenham it's an afflaunt historic district. Like I said it was rare to find a local in Huntsville when I lived there( 2005-2008).

Old 01-04-2019, 12:02 PM

29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Charleston has so many transplants now that I find it hard to believe it would be the snootiest at this point in time. Not sure what would be the snobbiest; maybe somewhere like Lexington, KY, but really not sure.

Least insular: Usual suspects (Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem)
Winston-Salem is cool and all but since when has it been one of the "usual suspects" along with those other cities?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:02 AM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Winston-Salem is cool and all but since when has it been one of the "usual suspects" along with those other cities?
I've only visited Winston-Salem briefly but the fact that its a major college town makes it pretty open.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've only visited Winston-Salem briefly but the fact that its a major college town makes it pretty open.
Plus it has its share of tourist traffic passing through.

https://www.visitnc.com/greensboro-w...RoCO_gQAvD_BwE

I don't think of W-S as insular at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or