U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:57 PM

250 posts, read 128,079 times

Advertisements

Which Southern cities, for their size, feel the most insular/snooty/elitist towards newcomers/non-natives (even those who assimilate into the local culture)? I’ve heard Charleston; can anyone corroborate or deny this? Perhaps Richmond and its connection to the whole first families of Virginia thing? What states in general, even?

Consequently, what are the least insular cities, for their size, for transplants who assimilate well?

Last edited by TarHeelTerritory; 01-01-2019 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 05:24 PM

356 posts, read 148,913 times
Charleston has so many transplants now that I find it hard to believe it would be the snootiest at this point in time. Not sure what would be the snobbiest; maybe somewhere like Lexington, KY, but really not sure.

Least insular: Usual suspects (Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem)

Old 01-01-2019, 05:32 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
I think native New Orleanians can be quite insular and there is conflict between natives and transplants there, though in that case transplant include not just Yankees but even people from other parts of Louisiana. I also think the New Orleans elite is a rather closed network.

Miami is very insular to those who are not Cuban and who don't speak Spanish as their native language or follow Cuban culture. At the same time, the New York Jewish transplants in South Florida are also very insular and associate only with their own.

Baton Rouge feels more open to people who are assimilated.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:40 PM

793 posts, read 288,282 times
There’s 2 different Charleston’s. There’s the Charleston for plebes. That would be James Island, West Ashley, Mount Pleasant, Downtown Charleston from the campus north, etc. Then there is the Downtown Charleston crowd, those in the old houses along the battery and South of Broad. They are actually not too mean or anything, but they won’t consider you an actual Charlestonian living on Daniels Island.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:44 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,094,372 times
Richmond is not at all insular - in the city its mainly Yankees like me these days. I think it might have been 40 years ago before RVA joined the BosWash corridor.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:10 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
New Orleans is very insular. Very. And I completely understand it

Old 01-03-2019, 09:40 AM

425 posts, read 292,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Charleston has so many transplants now that I find it hard to believe it would be the snootiest at this point in time. Not sure what would be the snobbiest; maybe somewhere like Lexington, KY, but really not sure.

Least insular: Usual suspects (Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem)
Lexington can be very snooty and snobbish, especially with the whole Equine culture going on there. I was never a fan of Lexington when I lived in Kentucky, too preppy. I will say this, once your accepted, you are accepted forever. But yes, Lexington and Eastern KY are very much insular. You have to get towards NKY and Louisville for that insular vibe to go away, IMO.

Last edited by KY_Transplant; 01-03-2019 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-03-2019, 09:46 AM

425 posts, read 292,953 times
From places I have frequent visited:

Least Insular:
Nashville, TN
Atlanta, GA
Charlotte, NC
Orlando, FL
Tampa Bay, FL area
Louisville, KY

Most insular:
Lexington, KY
Memphis, TN
Huntsville, AL
Little Rock, AR

Old 01-03-2019, 10:06 AM

500 posts, read 329,865 times
Yea, as previously stated, Richmond is not insular at all and is transplant heavy just like the rest of urban Virginia. We have to stop assuming that the confederacy tells you anything about the identity of Richmond today.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:15 PM

500 posts, read 329,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Yea, as previously stated, Richmond is not insular at all and is transplant heavy just like the rest of urban Virginia. We have to stop assuming that the confederacy tells you anything about the identity of Richmond today.
My mistake, I misread what was posted. We get a lot of Richmond confederate posts on here so I've developed something of a hair-pin trigger. Richmond is not an insular area and I have never met anyone actually linked to the First Families of Virginia here, at least not knowingly. I would imagine those types stick to the outskirts of town and surrounding counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or