U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 01:34 PM

1,593 posts, read 835,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
In a different type of case, Massachusetts dissolved their county governments around 20 years ago or so

Boston would only get Chelsea, Winthrop and Revere maybe 120,000 people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 02:20 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,108,310 times
I know SF is a city-county, but wasn't sure the history. Just looked. Wiki says the following:
"San Francisco—officially known as the City and County of San Francisco—is a consolidated city-county, a status it has held since the 1856 secession of what is now San Mateo County."
I'm assuming that means that San Francisco County once used to extend much further south down the Peninsula until San Mateo seceded and formed its county.

As with a lot of these, they're older and it's hard to know what benefits and downfalls there were.

I know in Louisville, the city likes it and the suburbs don't. For obvious reason. The city has benefited from a stronger tax base, better schools, etc. The suburbs think they give too much money to county government.

I'm all for consolidations of city/county governments, and even other cities/counties consolidating. When cities and counties were established decades or centuries ago, nobody could have predicted where they'd end up today. It's simply unjust that white flight occurred and left urban city centers to rot just because white people didn't want to live with minorities. For example, here in NJ, it's crazy to me that Essex County has both Newark and Montclair.

And in the case of Louisville/Jefferson County, the wealthy and white suburban communities of Jefferson County only exist because the urban job centers in Louisville city.

In the case of STL city and county, and same with Baltimore city and county, the city provides the jobs, name recognition, importance, cultural institutions, etc. The county is just where the rich white people moved to "escape" from black people. If it weren't for the big cities, the counties would have no economy. They use the cities for their advantage, steal its resources, and funnel a large portion of it back into the suburban county. That's not right. If the counties helped pay for city schools and city transportation projects and city police departments, they'd be more equal...probably...hopefully.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:28 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,187,488 times
Are NYC and Atlanta the only two that are multiple counties (NYC in 5 counties and Atlanta in 2) though NYC has 5 self contained counties I believe which we call boroughs

Old 01-02-2019, 02:40 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,108,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Are NYC and Atlanta the only two that are multiple counties (NYC in 5 counties and Atlanta in 2) though NYC has 5 self contained counties I believe which we call boroughs
There are some weirdly shaped cities in middle America that stretch just slightly into suburban counties I think. Columbus OH is mostly Franklin County, but has small areas in Delaware, Pickaway and Fairfield. I'm sure there others.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:44 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,889,772 times
Quote:
Both Dallas and Houston are in multiple counties as well (though the vast majority are in Dallas and Harris counties respectively).

Austin is also partly in Hays and Williamson counties, even though most of it is in Travis County

Old 01-02-2019, 02:44 PM

56,706 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Parts of cities such as Columbus OH and Oklahoma City actually are in multiple counties as well. I believe there are a few others as well.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:27 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,110,808 times
There's no way Missouri's horrible right-wing and regressive state government would allow this.

They hate Saint Louis with a passion and there's not a chance they would do something that benefits the city.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:32 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,889,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
There's no way Missouri's horrible right-wing and regressive state government would allow this.

They hate Saint Louis with a passion and there's not a chance they would do something that benefits the city.
We saw what they did when they rescinded St Louis and Kansas City's higher minimum wages....

Old 01-02-2019, 04:59 PM

5,694 posts, read 3,657,754 times
The city and county of Honolulu are one and the same, extending over the entirety of Oahu Island.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:36 PM

18 posts, read 8,466 times
Kansas City is in 3 counties.... By the way the guy that may be partially sponsoring the bill to consolidate both St.Louis County and City is a huge repub donor so he might have some leverage in getting the state to vote yes so anything is possible however i don't see county residents voting yes on this because they feel they'll be bailing out the city for many purpose's... I look at residents in the county to be very hypocritical.. They want their cake and eat it too... Reap all the benefits the city has to offer but don't want nothing to do with the city...Pretty much are users

Im a St.Louis County resident but work in the city.. Im all for merger/consolidation the time is now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or