U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM

5,672 posts, read 3,645,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
2. Baltimore City / Baltimore County merger would be a terrible idea. And I say that as a city resident. All the smart counties, like Howard, understand that the future is urban. Why would one of the most urban cities in America want to merge with a county that appears destined for a prolonged period of decline?
I'm not sure on what you base your assertion that Baltimore County is destined for decline, other than the fact that it lacks the dense urbanization of the city. I'm sure you're aware of the relevant history here: how thousands upon thousands of people moved out of Baltimore City and into Baltimore County, looking for better schools and safer streets. It was white people at first, but then black people followed. (Yes, "black flight" is actually a thing, at least around here. Check out the demographic changes of Woodlawn and Randallstown, etc.) The "flow" going the other way was merely a trickle.

That said, I assume that someone must be moving into all those new apartment buildings that are going up in downtown Baltimore. And maybe some of those new residents are the descendants of those who fled to the county some years ago. But so far, the imbalance between directional flows is still massive. The people of Baltimore County have voted with their feet, and I cannot begin to imagine any real support on their part for a city/county merger.

I'll give you this, though: Howard County, one of the region's most quintessentially suburban counties, is taking baby steps towards urbanizing, as seen in the redevelopment of Columbia Town Center. So I think you might be on to something with the "future is urban" comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 06:07 AM

4,170 posts, read 6,025,285 times
Columbus-Muscogee County in Georgia has been consolidated for years. Believe we were the first city in Georgia to consolidate. That made it the 2nd largest city in Georgia.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:58 PM

374 posts, read 345,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not sure on what you base your assertion that Baltimore County is destined for decline, other than the fact that it lacks the dense urbanization of the city. I'm sure you're aware of the relevant history here: how thousands upon thousands of people moved out of Baltimore City and into Baltimore County, looking for better schools and safer streets. It was white people at first, but then black people followed. (Yes, "black flight" is actually a thing, at least around here. Check out the demographic changes of Woodlawn and Randallstown, etc.) The "flow" going the other way was merely a trickle.

That said, I assume that someone must be moving into all those new apartment buildings that are going up in downtown Baltimore. And maybe some of those new residents are the descendants of those who fled to the county some years ago. But so far, the imbalance between directional flows is still massive. The people of Baltimore County have voted with their feet, and I cannot begin to imagine any real support on their part for a city/county merger.

I'll give you this, though: Howard County, one of the region's most quintessentially suburban counties, is taking baby steps towards urbanizing, as seen in the redevelopment of Columbia Town Center. So I think you might be on to something with the "future is urban" comment.
I hate to burst your bubble my friend, but times are changing.

Fiscal realities are hitting home in Baltimore County:

https://communityarchitectdaily.blog...g-home-in.html

Why a Baltimore City and County merger shouldn't be a snoozer:

https://communityarchitectdaily.blog...ty-merger.html

Also - doesn't look like Howard County's finances are so hot these days:

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...4osOv1Yp1C5Vng

If you take time to research the state's local aid summary, you might notice that Baltimore City's share of state aid has actually been declining for the past several years. This is a trend that is likely to continue due to the improving economy of Baltimore City and the declining economy of its suburbs. Have fun out there.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:11 AM
Status: "You picked the wrong fool, fool." (set 8 days ago)

518 posts, read 132,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
In a different type of case, Massachusetts dissolved their county governments around 20 years ago or so
All New England states operate this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or