Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 11:42 AM

1,264 posts, read 666,115 times

Advertisements

Hi, a longtime follower here and now a first time poster. But before I start, I want to tell everyone how impressed I am with the great community of folks simply....helping one another! Caring and sharing is alive and well at city-data.com!

Okay, my wife and I, 61m 57f, are newly retired, kids raised and gone, and now it's our turn to find a new homebase. We are from a village of 500 in central Illinois. We are not needy people, and we don't need to be entertained, we both enjoy the great outdoors over the city. We value our time with family, friends, and of course our looney catahoula pooch! Any time spent hiking, canoeing, camping, or biking is bliss. So, in telling you that, here is our criteria, of which we are very flexible as long as the outcome brings us peace and happiness.
1) A house, 2-3 br, 1 1/2 bathrooms, fireplace/woodstove, nice sized kitchen (we cook alot), garage in colder climate, a basement in tornado territory, 1/3 acre or more, rural preferred but not too far out.
2)Average to low cost of living
3)Within 30 min. of good medical care.
4) Near mountains or within the foothills.
5) No interest of residing in a large city, preferring a small friendly town or even better outside of a town with an few acres.
6)Because of a health issue, we are both whole-food plant-based/ vegan, so we need nearby access to good fresh produce, preferably organic, we do grow much of our own.
7) Safe, low crime area
8)reasonable distance to an airport
9) $125,000 to $235,000 purchase price.

So far we have been checking out:
West slope of Co. Delta, Montrose, and Mesa counties
South Dakota namely Fall River County
Arkansas, namely N. Central and N.W. counties

Any opinions or advice?
We both truly appreciate any and all help! And we look forward to helping others however we can as well.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 03:04 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I considered retiring to the Grand Junction area and i still like it but there was some confusion over water that we were unhappy with. My wife finally vetoed that location so I'm in New Mexico and love it. I do go up to Grand Mesa for fly fishing and it is scenic. Some of the towns have grown up a bit in the last few years since we first went there. Fruita is quite different from what it was.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:23 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Do you have a preference on how much winter / snow? Fall County probably has more snow than right in Montrose but Montrose probably has more cold.

At least one natural food store in Montrose and it appears there is one in Hot Springs SD too. Earth Goods Natural Foods Hot Springs, SD - Google Search
Arkansas, probably has some too but google natural organic grocery for the nearby towns.

Go to the individual state forums and read threads / ask questions. Visit at least once & compare. Visit at least twice before you buy. Some people rush it and miss something that ends up bugging or being a deal breaker.

Montrose will probably be the most expensive of the 3. Might find some places near upper end of your price range but it might be fairly limited, not as attractive. Maybe cheaper north of there than south.

Would you consider a place like LaGrande or Enterprise / Joseph OR or Bonners Ferry ID? Between Hamilton and Darby Montana or Dillon MT? Buffalo WY?

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-03-2019 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 05:44 PM

Thank you for your responses!

Snow really isn't much of a problem with us. As long as we find a pretty location we are very adaptable. And as far as Arkansas goes I have spent quite a bit of time in the past backpacking in the Ouachitas, hiking and canoeing thru many rivers in Missouri and Arkansas and visiting friends in Cherokee Village in years past. I love this part of the country as much as the Western Rockies.
And yes there seems to be a smattering of natural food stores in these areas but a good produce section in a local grocery works for us too.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:51 PM

Sorta near Montrose you might also check Hotchkiss, Paonia, Crawford and Cedaredge.

Paonia is big on natural living. Cedaredge has a lot of seniors. Crawford is somewhat lesser known but with plenty of natural beauty. Hotchkiss is lesser known too and sitting between the others.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-03-2019 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 06:16 PM

Thank you! We have read a little about these towns but really don't know that much about them.
We would like to maybe narrow down the choices a bit then try to visit as soon as it's feasible.
A question sir. From these outlying towns, how difficult is the driving in Winter. I do have a 4X4 pickup. We do understand in weather, you wait until safe, but in an emergency what then? Are EMT's available when needed?

Old 01-03-2019, 06:23 PM

The difficulty of driving in Colorado varies by the elevation, severity of storm, timing and level of road.

In SW Colorado we got 2 feet of snow a couple days ago. If you were out as it was coming down, it was bad. 2 days later it is fine. One day after? I was too busy moving snow to go anywhere. Small to moderate storms are more the norm, 2-3 times a week, and not too bad if you use caution. Sometimes it is better to stay in a day or two if you can.

If you buy on a state or county road that they maintain, it improves fairly quickly, usually. If you are on a private access road it is on you and any adjoining neighbors to get it cleared.

A 4x4 truck is good but a lot depends on the driver. Patience, touch. Maybe some sand in the back.

EMT's? Many rural counties will have (probably with fire department) but worth checking.

"30 minutes to good medical care"? Don't assume that means up to 30 miles. It might be but it might be 15-20 miles equals 30 minutes in good weather. 30 miles and / or bad weather can mean longer.

What is good care? Hospitals in towns of 5,000 or less will handle the basics. Towns of 25,000 will have some / most of typical specialities but maybe not all or much choice.

From Hot Springs to Rapid City SD is about 75 miles and probably at least 90 minutes in good weather. Montrose to Grand Junction is 66 miles and probably takes at least 75 minutes in good weather. If you want to be closer to more than basic medical care you might consider places like Palisade or Orchard Mesa CO or Hill City or Piedmont SD.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-03-2019 at 07:05 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
The difficulty of driving in Colorado varies by the elevation, severity of storm, timing and level of road.

In SW Colorado we got 2 feet of snow a couple days ago. If you were out as it was coming down, it was bad. 2 days later it is fine. One day after? I was too busy moving snow to go anywhere. Small to moderate storms are more the norm, 2-3 times a week, and not too bad if you use caution. Sometimes it is better to stay in a day or two if you can.

If you buy on a state or county road that they maintain, it improves fairly quickly, usually. If you are a private access road it is on you and neighbors to get it cleared.

A 4x4 truck is good but a lot depends on the driver. Patience, touch. Maybe some sand in the back.

EMT's? Many rural counties will have (probably with fire department) but worth checking.
Again thank you sir!
That is very good advice. We try to never get caught with our pants down, so to speak, so we plan ahead when possible but mostly my question was about a medical emergency. I have always been of the thought that we'll get there when we can. Medical issues don't give much warning. We are both healthy now, knock on wood. As an old explorer, I like to know what my chances are for success in most things I do. 😉

Old 01-03-2019, 06:59 PM

You are welcome.

You'll figure it out for you. Proper time & thought.

Some threads on rural living bring up life flight insurance to get you to the big city in critical situations a small hospital can't / won't handle. Might be worth it but the right medical professional has to say it is essential. If the insurance company disagrees and thinks it wasn't essential you might have to pay the very big fee or go to court and argue it out.

Also note that rural western areas will probably have little to no insurance choice and may be more expensive than national average.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-03-2019 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
You are welcome.

You'll figure it out for you. Proper time & thought.

Some threads on rural living bring up life flight insurance to get you to the big city in critical situations a small hospital can't / won't handle. Might be worth it but the right medical professional has to say it is essential. If the insurance company disagrees and thinks it wasn't essential you might have to pay the very big fee or go to court and argue it out.

Also note that rural western areas will probably have little to no insurance choice and may be more expensive than national average.
NW Crow you have been a big help. I appreciate your kindness and sensibility! I would be honored to have you for a friend and neighbor!

I truly understand your thoughts on life flights. A few years back I had a major heart attack. Flat lined, fortunately in an ER.
After being resuscitated I had to be flown to a heartcare hospital asap. The bill for that 20 minute helicopter ride was $45,000. Luckily, I was still working with good insurance, and my portion was reasonable. Without it, we wouldn't be chatting now.
Thank you again and pleasant evening to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.