U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 12:16 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,274,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The architecture, painted brick, magnolias, crepe myrtles, street names .
Anything cultural with the local populace?

Architectural style? Can you elaborate...
Didn't know painted brick was a Southern thing.
Can I ask what about street names? It's mostly #'s and states and DC doesn't have any streets named after confederate leaders.
Magnolias and Crepe Myrtles are found in Pennsylvania too, their growth range extends into New Jersey.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:43 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,989,000 times
Quote:
Actually Crystal City is like 1 mile from DC. You can find it in that county named after Rober E Leeís plantation. But yeah, nothing Southern about it lol.
So DC did land Amazon? Arlington may have been southern at one point, but it certainly isn't now. Whole lot of reaching going on, but again, what's wrong with being southern?

Old 01-08-2019, 09:24 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,053,448 times
Quote:
Actually Crystal City is like 1 mile from DC. You can find it in that county named after Rober E Leeís plantation. But yeah, nothing Southern about it lol.
And that big highway (U.S. 1) that slashes through little Crystal City was called "Jefferson Davis Highway" until they changed it just last year to "Richmond Highway". Guess they didn't want it to sound too Southern, never mind its Virginia location.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I cant comment on Miami as I'm not as familiar but it is the 4th largest metropolitan area with Puerto Ricans https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...an_communities
Meaning it has a diverse international population. That isnít any different than Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:00 PM

5,921 posts, read 2,750,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Miamians of all races/ethnicites will tell you that they are southern. Miami being a southern city is widely acknowledged. It's distant from what YOUR narrow definition of southern is, but that doesn't make Miami any less southern just as NYC being hyper diverse doesn't make it less northern.
Really now?
I'm from Miami and we don't consider ourselves to be "Southerners".
The people who most identify with being southern in Miami are African Americans for the most part since many migrated to the city from other places in the south.
Miami is also well over 50% foreign born so how can you say that Miamians consider themselves to be "Southern"?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:37 AM

6,968 posts, read 14,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Really now?
The people who most identify with being southern in Miami are African Americans for the most part since many migrated to the city from other places in the south.
Miami is also well over 50% foreign born so how can you say that Miamians consider themselves to be "Southern"?
I literally have no idea what would make Miami southern lol

Old 01-10-2019, 06:18 PM

1,518 posts, read 683,494 times
Theodore Roosevelt reportedly once said, "California is not in the West... it's west of the West."
Maybe Miami is south of the South.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,053,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Really now?
I lived in Miami as a teenager having moved from NY. We never considered ourselves "Southern", nor did most of our neighbors who had also moved from the NE and to a smaller extent, the Midwest. Admittedly, many white Southerners lived there, including FL and Miami natives (who called themselves "Florida crackers"). As for the blacks, many (most) of Miami's blacks have roots in the Caribbean, not so much the South. There were no plantations in FL South of the Panhandle, and there was no southbound Great Migration in the 20th century.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 PM

308 posts, read 186,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Meaning it has a diverse international population. That isn’t any different than Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta.
The international community around the Miami area is much more extensive and visible compared to almost anywhere in the U.S, let alone those places..

Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 AM

4,101 posts, read 4,739,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I literally have no idea what would make Miami southern lol
There are Floridian natives there. Also it is undeniably in the southern US.

I've always considered the idea of kicking south Florida out of the south just because of its extreme diversity of people, would be akin to kicking NYC out of the Northeast for the same reason.

I wonder why the culture of the north is so much more acceptably malleable than the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.