Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 06:31 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Didn’t read the whole thread, but I’m of the opinion that urban vs rural is a much starker divide (in the south and elsewhere) than any contiguous region.
Wholly agreed.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:40 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Because the Northeastern cities were magnets for immigrants early in their histories and have been defined by those cultures for about as long as they have actually been cities. With few exceptions (most notably New Orleans), it's not the same story in the South where immigration on a larger scale is mostly a newer phenomenon.
This is a rare occasion where I don't agree with you. You're stating facts, but I don't agree that there's a cutoff time for immigrant influence.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:10 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
This is a rare occasion where I don't agree with you. You're stating facts, but I don't agree that there's a cutoff time for immigrant influence.
What do you mean by "a cutoff time for immigrant influence"?

Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
As for the blacks, many (most) of Miami's blacks have roots in the Caribbean, not so much the South.
You've bought into the popular 'alternative' history pushed by many Miamians here, desperate to deny any connection to their own region. It simply isn't true to claim 'most' were Caribbean, it's an oft repeated myth.

Quote:
There were no plantations in FL South of the Panhandle
Absolutely NOT true. Look it up, but you won't like what you find.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You've bought into the popular 'alternative' history pushed by many Miamians here, desperate to deny any connection to their own region. It simply isn't true to claim 'most' were Caribbean, it's an oft repeated myth.

Absolutely NOT true. Look it up, but you won't like what you find.
Inclined to agree with you here. Florida is not a northern state located in the south

Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
The Tidewater should include all of Eastern and Northern Virginia as well as Eastern Maryland. Baltimore could also be included. Baltimore is more of a border city between Tidewater Mid-Atlantic and the Pennsylvania midlands.

In my opinion, the Upper South should only include the Appalachian regions of the south while Eastern Virginia and Maryland should be called Tidewater or Chesapeake.

My map is included in the link below. It also includes areas outside of the South and Mid-Atlantic regions but is not completely finished. The counties of Fairfax, Prince William, Arlington, Alexandria city, the District of Columbia, and Montgomery could be included in their own region you wish to separate the DC area from the rest of the Chesapeake region. The Appalachian region should also include parts of Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...n-cultures.png
Uh. No. This is not a good map in my opinion. First of all, the Lower (Deep) South doesn't stop at the GA/FL line. Much of N. Florida is certainly Lower (Deep) South. Also, south of Melbourne, Florida stops being culturally Southern (more so on the east side of Florida than the west side).
Likewise, "The South" doesn't end in a hard line at the Texas border either. In other words, neither geography nor cultures arbitrarily stop at state borders.
The entire Piedmont megalopolis from Atlanta (maybe as far west as Birmingham) to Raleigh (maybe up to Richmond) should be in the same category.
I am confused by why you call your map "Early American Cultures". What does that mean? Also, much of this area wasn't even colonized in the Early American period.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 01-12-2019 at 10:27 PM..

Old 01-12-2019, 10:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Miamians of all races/ethnicites will tell you that they are southern. Miami being a southern city is widely acknowledged. It's distant from what YOUR narrow definition of southern is, but that doesn't make Miami any less southern just as NYC being hyper diverse doesn't make it less northern.
Uh, no we wouldn't. We understand that Miami is geographically in the South as the most southern major American city in the contiguous states, but most of us do not consider ourselves to be culturally Southerners. In fact, many of us don't even identify as Americans (though I certainly do).

Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
See attached. Is this a good (rough) map of the South-- Upper and Deep. Upper in orange and Deep in red.
So Paducah, Kentucky and Hampton Roads are now part of the Deep South? As in more Southern than Atlanta or Huntsville, Alabama?

Old 01-13-2019, 12:31 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
So Paducah, Kentucky and Hampton Roads are now part of the Deep South?
In the definition that deep south means lowland south, yes.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:25 AM

1,168 posts, read 775,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It does seem to be true for Miami-Dade proper atleast. Southern accents are so rare around here that you automatically assume the person is a tourist. Broward County is where you'll find many more people with ties to the "real" south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.