U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 05:03 PM

4,856 posts, read 2,984,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I have yet to have someone explain to me how people migrating to the south from the north makes a place less southern, but the reverse isn't true in regards to places like NYC. Did NYC become more southern during the great migration?

People also won't admit, although that is obviously the case, that they have a strict definition of what the south can be. Any deviation from country and rural does not coincide with the sterotypical view of the south.

That's why you have so many people performing all types of mental acrobatics to justify how their city can't be southern because they have fancy sandwich shops, don't act southern.
Do you consider Seattle southern?

Old 01-15-2019, 06:17 PM

797 posts, read 290,279 times
The Great Migration put quite a bit of strain on the North.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Quote:
I have yet to have someone explain to me how people migrating to the south from the north makes a place less southern, but the reverse isn't true in regards to places like NYC. Did NYC become more southern during the great migration?

People also won't admit, although that is obviously the case, that they have a strict definition of what the south can be. Any deviation from country and rural does not coincide with the sterotypical view of the south.

That's why you have so many people performing all types of mental acrobatics to justify how their city can't be southern because they have fancy sandwich shops, don't act southern.
The reasons I have for not considering Maryland southern are as much, if not more, to do with its landscape, location, and general climate. The modern culture being more like the north is just an aside.

There are parts of the northeast and Midwest that culturally feel southernesque but are certainly not part of the south.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,271,845 times
Quote:

Perhaps you didnt read the replies in the thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Because the Northeastern cities were magnets for immigrants early in their histories and have been defined by those cultures for about as long as they have actually been cities. With few exceptions (most notably New Orleans), it's not the same story in the South where immigration on a larger scale is mostly a newer phenomenon.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Do you consider Seattle southern?
It's not located in the south, so no.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Perhaps you didnt read the replies in the thread?
I responded to that post days ago.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
But you just said you have yet to hear someone respond to your inquiry.. I was just showing you that someone did answer this question.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:40 PM

29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
You said you disagreed with me and I asked for clarification in post #113 and you didn't respond.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
But you just said you have yet to hear someone respond to your inquiry.. I was just showing you that someone did answer this question.
I asked about a cut off period for which any city that aquires residents from other areas ( domestic or internationally) become another region.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I asked about a cut off period for which any city that aquires residents from other areas ( domestic or internationally) become another region.
I see.. I didnt get all the from the below.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.