U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 09:04 AM

794 posts, read 289,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Ummm because they are Southern. They represent what the South is becoming (urbanized and multicultural). What it means to be Southern should be allowed to change over time. The geography (and topography... you know, the things that actually define different regions) doesn’t change. It ain’t the sweet tea, which urban Virginia never drank anyway, that defines the South. Norfolk and Charleston were also huge ports of entry for immigrants. Richmond, Newport News and Atlanta have had large Jewish populations for 200 years. The first Jewish cemetery in North America is located in Richmond (there’s also a Jewish Confederate cemetery...weird).
In 1900, the proportion of foreign born immigrants in the US was about 14%. In NC, it was less than 1%. The South was isolated from the changes the rest of the country was going through even accounting for a Jewish cemetery here or there.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 AM

2,507 posts, read 2,269,683 times
Quote:
Ummm because they are Southern. They represent what the South is becoming (urbanized and multicultural). What it means to be Southern should be allowed to change over time. The geography (and topography... you know, the things that actually define different regions) doesnít change. It ainít the sweet tea, which urban Virginia never drank anyway, that defines the South. Norfolk and Charleston were also huge ports of entry for immigrants. Richmond, Newport News and Atlanta have had large Jewish populations for 200 years. The first Jewish cemetery in North America is located in Richmond (thereís also a Jewish Confederate cemetery...weird).
You see the difference here... you say they... I can say WE are not. I'm not a transplant either, I'm actually from the DC area.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:19 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Who knows.. you'd think what the locals identify as would trump any outsiders thoughts. I haven't heard any locals saying they're Southerners but I have heard people from the South clearly state that they are from the South when asked where they're from in DC.

At the end of the day, if someone were to visit the US and wanted the Southern experience, DC wouldn't even make it onto anyone's top 10 places to see.
Yep, but it's not like they're ashamed of it, but DC is not a part of the south. Sorry.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:51 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Why are southerners so eager to include Nova and DC in the south? I don't get it.
In real life, they arent. Most consider VA overall to be a Southern state, but they wouldn't consider DC part of the South.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Norfolk and Charleston were also huge ports of entry for immigrants.
Charleston? Not really. I mean it had more than most with its early reputation for religious tolerance (eg, French Huguenots) and one of the first Jewish communities in the South, but not much beyond that. New Orleans is the best example of a city with large amounts of immigrants early on in what is now considered the traditional South.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 AM

900 posts, read 765,387 times
Charleston? Yes so much.
It saw nearly 10 times the immigration as New Orleans in the 19th century (1820-1920).

Did they all stick around? Of course not. But they did handle nearly as much traffic as Baltimore (which everyone can agreee was “Southern” at that time). The South has historically had large industry (Norfolk, Newport News, New Orleans, Atlanta, Birmingham, Richmond, Baltimore) and immigration (Norfolk,New Orleans, Baltimore, Atlanta) and international trade (Savanah, Wilmington, Norfolk, Petersburg,New Orleans, Mobile, Jacksonville, Baltimore, Galveston).

Nothing has changed in the Washington DC area over the last 50 years that also hasn’t changed in Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Houston, Austin, Raleigh...

Last edited by spencer114; 01-16-2019 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-16-2019, 10:45 AM

794 posts, read 289,335 times
It’s not necessarily the last 50 years where DC and Baltimore changed greatly from those Southern towns, but the 50 years before that.

Also New Orleans was the second biggest immigration port prior to the Civil War. Charleston never reaches that level and certainly never reached the cosmopolitan heights New Orleans did.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:56 AM

6,850 posts, read 6,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In real life, they arent. Most consider VA overall to be a Southern state, but they wouldn't consider DC part of the South.
Again, DC was an historically quasi southern town. Slave trade until 1850. Slavery legal until 1862. Some Jim Crow and segregated schools until the 1950s. Segregated and substandard housing. The list goes on and on.

At the same time, DC, being the seat of the federal government had a lot of northerners providing push back and advocating change.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 AM

1,505 posts, read 523,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
In 1900, the proportion of foreign born immigrants in the US was about 14%. In NC, it was less than 1%. The South was isolated from the changes the rest of the country was going through even accounting for a Jewish cemetery here or there.
I would imagine maybe Louisiana was less isolated, due to a major Italian and Spanish immigrant community coming through New Orleans?

Old 01-16-2019, 10:59 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
But those parts of Virginia have over 75% of the population, so I can't shrug it off as "the only parts" that share similarities with Maryland. Those areas have long cultural crossover with Maryland. No doubt, so do parts of other states, but I don't see anybody having stronger ties, all things considered, to Maryland than Virginia...

The areas where most Virginians reside has more in common with Maryland areas than Carolina areas. The areas where most Virginians reside have similarities to Carolina too, including my adolescent home of Northern Virginia. This is what happens when you border other states, you have shared culture with your neighbors...

There is nothing southern Appalachian about where the majority of Virginians live, so we're talking about a minority of the populace that most visitors do not visit...
You are being frustratingly evasive. Majority this, population that. We're talking about Virginia as a whole are we not? Or have you shuffled your wording around because the entire state in one bite doesn't suit your narrative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.