U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 07:27 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,274,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Reno is farther west than Los Angeles. The more you know.
Haha

Old 01-19-2019, 06:08 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Basically I don't think it's fair to judge a place's "southern-ness" based on the amount of participation trophies to the Confederacy.
Jesse, you're preaching to the choir here. It's the larger City-Data population at large that needs this lecture, as this board has long ascribed the Confederacy as the #1 reason Virginia is southern...

I think what at least Spencer and I am arguing boils down to this: 1)Maryland is not mostly southern today, but still maintains remnants of its southern culture. 2)Maryland is still very much entertained culturally with Virginia, and if people see Virginia as southern, it's a selective judgement to exclude Maryland. 3)NoVa can't be separated from Virginia. I know you haven't been elsewhere, I encourage you one day to tour the state. You won't come away with the perspective of a resident, but some time around may clarify some misconceptions....

Either Virginia is northern or southern. There is no "but NoVa" is one thing. Regardless, there is mixed influences from both regions throughout the populated centers if Virginia. This isn't an opinion. It tears people's narratives to say that, because then people have to admit that they don't recognize the symmetry between NoVa and Richmond and Tidewater and the assumed "north/south" gradient is marginal. All of Urban VA is more economically and culturally tied to points north, people single out NoVa out of ignorance of the other two areas and because it's the suburb of a major city that they don't consider southern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
to me Virginia is pretty southern once you leave Nova.
What is "pretty southern" about Richmond and Norfolk that isn't about NoVa? Do you even know? Or is this groupthink that blindly and falsely assumes NoVa is in another state or something? What exactly differentiates Northern Virginia from Richmond or Norfolk besides the fact that its virtually entirely suburbia bordering a major city?

Guys go for strawmen every time I pose this question or avoid it altogether...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Elmira, NY has a dedicated cemetery and statue to the rebs that died in the war prison there.
And Elmira is FULL of white supremacists and racist losers. The entire Southern Tier is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
But its "literally" not within the Southerneastern US considering its north of the East coast midpoint.....
You keep saying this, but so are both Richmond and Norfolk. Not a very intelligent argument...

You just moved to Richmond. I encourage you to get to know the city and challenge your own stereotypes. I don't know how long you'll be in Richmond, but I can assure you the longer you stay, the more you'll find that, while it has its special unique qualities that make it different like anywhere else has there, it has plenty of similarity to the region you just left. And that discovery will challenge your inclination to separate NoVa from the rest of Virginia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ah ok, so this line that was formed in the 1700's is what says DC is southern? Ok, maybe its southern, but Fresno is in California. It doesn't mean it has the same characteristics as California.
Fresno is very much Californian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Neither is Baltimore or Richmond but all 3 cities are still southern.
I don't know why he keeps saying that, it's a horrible argument lol. Richmond is definitely in the northern half of the East Coast (so is Tidewater), so I don't get his point lmao...

Old 01-19-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

You just moved to Richmond. I encourage you to get to know the city and challenge your own stereotypes. I don't know how long you'll be in Richmond, but I can assure you the longer you stay, the more you'll find that, while it has its special unique qualities that make it different like anywhere else has there, it has plenty of similarity to the region you just left. And that discovery will challenge your inclination to separate NoVa from the rest of Virginia...
We'll see but I've always noticed a shift a cultural difference between Nova and Richmond, you start to notice a definite change as you hit Frederickburg. I actually prefer that they are different and think Richmond>Nova. Also, I'm only stating that DC is above the mid point on the east coast because a few keep noting it's in the South... when it "literally" isn't.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:59 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
Quote:
We'll see but I've always noticed a shift a cultural difference between Nova and Richmond, you start to notice a definite change as you hit Frederickburg. I actually prefer that they are different and think Richmond>Nova. Also, I'm only stating that DC is above the mid point on the east coast because a few keep noting it's in the South... when it "literally" isn't.
The "shift" is not nearly as dramatic as is purported. Not nearly. You just go from an area with more people to fewer people...

Old 01-19-2019, 11:56 AM

38 posts, read 12,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
See attached. Is this a good (rough) map of the South-- Upper and Deep. Upper in orange and Deep in red.
Fair enough. I think the red shaded part on central Florida (Tampa/Orlando) shouldn't be included.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:18 PM

4,101 posts, read 4,739,224 times
Quote:
And Elmira is FULL of white supremacists and racist losers. The entire Southern Tier is...
heh... I know. Believe me, I know.

Although, I think a lot of it is born in opposition to NY's overwhelmingly blue attitude rather than being genuine. People here are angry and tired with always being under NYC's thumb, and Ithaca is annoying in general. It's a cultural rebellion and people are not very smart so, you know.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:23 PM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,146 posts, read 3,433,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
In Kentucky the only mostly non Southern areas would be the northeast suburbs of Louisville into Oldham County and the three counties across from Cincinnati.
I noticed a lot more Southern accents in Cincinnati's Northern KY suburbs than you'll ever hear now in DC's Northern VA suburbs.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:30 PM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,146 posts, read 3,433,155 times
Quote:
We'll see but I've always noticed a shift a cultural difference between Nova and Richmond, you start to notice a definite change as you hit Frederickburg.
When I lived in DC, had a friend who used to call it the "McDonald's test". The McDonald's in non-southern areas were mostly staffed by immigrants, while those in more southern areas were mostly staffed by local white or black natives. The line seemed to be moving south over time, used to be around Woodbridge, but is probably around Stafford now.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:42 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
2)Maryland is still very much entertained culturally with Virginia, and if people see Virginia as southern, it's a selective judgement to exclude Maryland.
I don't think that's really the case. It could very well be because Virginia still does things like this but Maryland doesn't: https://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...d75170669.html

Old 01-19-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
When I lived in DC, had a friend who used to call it the "McDonald's test". The McDonald's in non-southern areas were mostly staffed by immigrants, while those in more southern areas were mostly staffed by local white or black natives. The line seemed to be moving south over time, used to be around Woodbridge, but is probably around Stafford now.
Lol, I remember the days when going to Potomac Mills felt like going to the South... the line has definitely shifted over time as DC's burbs grew further outward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.