U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:04 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think that's really the case. It could very well be because Virginia still does things like this but Maryland doesn't: https://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...d75170669.html
Well, I think this is a fair point. It doesn't change that Virginia and Maryland are still culturally interwoven, but I can agree if affects perception...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Have you actually lived in Virginia? Some of us actually have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How am I supposed to know that? And yet he apparently can't distinguish the two.
Like I said, when I pose the question I did you guys typically avoid it. Hahahahaha....you win, Little Focker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
There are some people obsessed with the idea that RoVa is similar to NoVa and it's not at all emblematic of the state's dynamic in real life.
As sophomoric as this article is, it rejects the narrative on here some like to paint of how similar the rest of the state is to NoVa imo.
Well we all know you aren't credible as you are well known as not knowing anywhere else in Virginia outside of Northern Virginia...

Also, "Rova" does not exist, it's a phrase I've never heard in real life...I'm sure it's a phrase to you and your closeted ilk use amongst each other to sound really cool. More to the point though, literally everybody over the years who has spoken on the matter, that has sufficient knowledge base in other parts of Virginia, has shared the idea that NoVa is more like the rest of Virginia than is popularly thought. Literally everyone...

You gonna die on that lonely hill you desperately cling to. Lol and it's really a damn shame, you're a Virginian, but not a proud one and glaringly ignorant of anything else in The Commonwealth outside the insulation of DC's burbs. You can keep fooling these people who don't know any better (the Gaylords and those who lived here for a hot second but are now experts, or casual visitors, those with really limited knowledge of both NoVa and anywhere else in VA), but you've long been called out by people who know better, both on the Virginia boards and the regular forum...

@ebck, Richmond is much, much greater than NoVa. It's not even close, and hopefully you'll allow yourself to get to know the city. It isn't for everyone (it is smaller with mediocre transit and some big social issues), but it is an outstanding cultural experience, an elite city of its size nationally, and the premier city of Virginia by a mile...

Old 01-20-2019, 08:13 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
That's sort of condescending... GD has lived in the area and is also speaking from experience and not as just a casual visitor. You yourself speak about other places like your beloved Atlanta as though you're from there all the time.....and you too can just agree/disagree and move on but rather carry on in numerous conversations.
Who is GD? And I speak most about places in which I have actually lived, which includes Atlanta. And the difference between him and is that I don't tell people who are actually from a particular state that they can't distinguish between parts of their own state. I don't always agree with murk on everything, including statements he's made in this thread, but I'd never be so arrogant as to assume that it's because he doesn't know his own state. If anything was condescending, that statement by Gaylord_Focker was but moving on...

Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 AM

3,792 posts, read 3,299,795 times
NoVa definitely seems southern to me. At least it seems like a Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Tampa suburb. Is NoVa really all that different than suburban Atlanta?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:17 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
NoVa definitely seems southern to me. At least it seems like a Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Tampa suburb. Is NoVa really all that different than suburban Atlanta?
Oh boy....brace yourself LOL.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 AM

1,505 posts, read 522,496 times
Quote:
It's too fast paced, competitive, expensive, dense, and transit oriented to be Southern. Also, not enough waffle houses.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:58 AM

793 posts, read 288,806 times
Quote:
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Old 01-20-2019, 10:10 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh boy....brace yourself LOL.
Lmao here comes NOVAguy and all the Maryland suburbanites of DC to cape up any minute now...

Old 01-20-2019, 11:50 AM

38 posts, read 12,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
God forbid.

Many of you are so desperate to distance yourself from any connection to the South it's laughable. Like it or not, D.C. is of the South, and it's literally across the river.

The Census Bureau still designates the DMV as part of the South for a reason.
I think every state have Department of Motor Vehicles.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:09 PM

7,730 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
NOVA and Atlanta most certainly have similarities. There are areas of both that are practically identical.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:53 PM

900 posts, read 765,387 times
My first impression of Atlanta was that it was Fairfax county without a Washington at the center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.