U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:10 PM

5,295 posts, read 3,510,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Hes just offended that a suburb of DC is being compared to an inner city area of Atlanta..... I know and I get ya... lol plenty of folks in the real world think Tysons and Buckhead are basically sister areas. Hes gonna do the usual fine dining and luxury hotel argument.... but Tysons has multiple fortune 500 companies and a more profitable 2 mall system because you know both are basically suburban urban areas based around 2 malls with metro stops that are affluent.
You need to take this comedy show on the road sometime...

And the fine dining and hotel argument always bugs you, because you know it's true.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:15 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,271,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You need to take this comedy show on the road sometime...

And the fine dining and hotel argument always bugs you, because you know it's true.
Nah.. so what about the fortune 500 argument? Tysons has 5 I believe... does Buckhead have any?.. it's no insult to Buckhead that it's like Tysons... Atlanta is more or less built like Nova... they probably compare better then most other areas. Both are suburban urban affluent areas with lots of skyscrapers and stand alone homes with metro stops and 2 luxury malls..

Old 01-20-2019, 06:19 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,307,478 times
Quote:
Tysons is a baby compared to the commercial core of Buckhead, that's how.

Lenox Square is 55 years old, Phipps Plaza is 45. There are 2 subway lines serving the area that are decades old, along with immediately adjacent streetcar neighborhoods. There are a multitude of luxury hotels that don't exist in Tysons, as well as Buckhead being the de facto fine dining epicenter of the region.

Again, not many similarities.
Is Tyson’s a baby to the commercial core? I’m not so sure of that.

That sounds very similar to Tyson’s other than Tyson’s is connected to a much larger metro.

Im not sure if Washington metro has a de facto dining epicenter. Really, the entire metro is filled with great dining areas.

Tyson’s is home to 5 fortune 500’s and I think Buckhead and Tyson’s are pretty much tied in office space. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Tyson’s was bigger than Buckhead. There are also 3 other fortune 500’s right outside Tyson’s in Reston and Falls Church.

These two reports make Tyson’s seem larger but who knows. The two seem similar to me.

http://www.buckheadcid.com/wp-conten...er2017_bag.pdf

https://www.fairfaxcountyeda.org/sit...15_profile.pdf

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-20-2019 at 06:29 PM..

Old 01-20-2019, 06:32 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Northern VA and suburban Atlanta and Charlotte have a lot of the same Federal and Georgian housing, with NoVA specializing in the three sides vinyl, brickface design that makes the homes look like they're built to last 30 minutes.

But NoVA accents these days are more influenced by Central America than the Southern US. But like Fairfax and Loudoun Counties, Gwinnett, Cobb, and Mecklenberg Counties are shifting from GOP to Dems.
Gwinnett and Cobb have recently made the shift. Mecklenburg has been Democratic for a little while now but the midterms have shown it's even a darker shade of blue now.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Tysons is a baby compared to the commercial core of Buckhead, that's how.

Lenox Square is 55 years old, Phipps Plaza is 45. There are 2 subway lines serving the area that are decades old, along with immediately adjacent streetcar neighborhoods. There are a multitude of luxury hotels that don't exist in Tysons, as well as Buckhead being the de facto fine dining epicenter of the region.

Again, not many similarities.

Tysons is much more a match with Perimeter Center, they are almost identical. But not Buckhead.
They aren't clones at all but their commercial cores in particular are comparable. Buckhead is definitely more walkable though and the I don't think Tysons has anything like the historic residential neighborhood or even the old, small commercial area of Buckhead.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They aren't clones at all but their commercial cores in particular are comparable. Buckhead is definitely more walkable though and the I don't think Tysons has anything like the historic residential neighborhood or even the old, small commercial area of Buckhead.
No, they must definitely don't. I can see where some people may consider them similar, but it will take many years (if ever) for Tysons to replicate Buckhead. I personally don't see it ever happening.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
The idea of walk ability is irrelevant to either and rather personal, they both have massive roads with sidewalks for no reason... when is the last time you went to either and saw a sizeable amount of people walking around? I'm curious to know what areas you think are more comparable to Buckhead or Tysons Corner areas then to each other.

Tysons is like 4~ square miles in size which is much smallerthen Buckhead if I recall correctlt.. expand the same amount of distance from both of their commercial cores and you'll find all of the same stuff.

Quote:
No, they must definitely don't. I can see where some people may consider them similar, but it will take many years (if ever) for Tysons to replicate Buckhead. I personally don't see it ever happening.
Tysons is already economically further ahead.... 5 fortune 500's and all....

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-20-2019 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-20-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
The idea of walk ability is irrelevant to either and rather personal, they both have massive roads with sidewalks for no reason... when is the last time you went to either and saw a sizeable amount of people walking around? I'm curious to know what areas you think are more comparable to Buckhead or Tysons Corner areas then to each other.

Tysons is like 4~ square miles in size which is much smallerthen Buckhead if I recall correctlt.. expand the same amount of distance from both of their commercial cores and you'll find all of the same stuff.
The idea of walkability isn't irrelevant, especially when Buckhead has made recent strides to make the area more walkable with streetscape improvements and the construction of PATH 400. I was just noting some differences between the two areas as Tysons is a classical edge city whereas Buckhead certainly has edge city characteristics but is also a bit more of a mixed bag. I'd still probably say the two areas are more comparable than not. Pentagon City would make for an interesting comparison also.

Tysons is already economically further ahead.... 5 fortune 500's and all....[/quote]

Old 01-20-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
The idea of walkability isn't irrelevant, especially when Buckhead has made recent strides to make the area more walkable with streetscape improvements and the construction of PATH 400. I was just noting some differences between the two areas as Tysons is a classical edge city whereas Buckhead certainly has edge city characteristics but is also a bit more of a mixed bag. I'd still probably say the two areas are more comparable than not. Pentagon City would make for an interesting comparison also.

Tysons is already economically further ahead.... 5 fortune 500's and all....
[/quote]

Beyond strides.. I was in Buckhead in December and you dont see people walking around in either.. they're both trying though, like really hard "trying". I really dont see a better pairing then Tysons and Buckhead. Pentagon City is too urban and actually walkable in the sense that a large portion of the people that live in the area dont have a car and walk as a lifestyle to be compared. You really cant escape the Tysons 1/2 and Lenox/Phipps surrounded by skyscrapers and stand alone multi million dollar homes comparison.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:56 PM

Tysons Corner is a newcomer compared to Buckhead in every concievable way.

Yet again, it is comparable to Perimeter Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.