U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:30 AM

120 posts, read 470,464 times

Advertisements

I think a good measuring stick for the deep south is where boiled peanuts are popular. It starts somewhere in eastern North
Carolina and runs through eastern SC, southern Georgia Alabama Mississippi and Louisiana. Not sure of there popularity in Arkansas and western Tennessee but would love to know anywhere else they might be popular.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 AM

1,578 posts, read 982,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

Whatever color Tidewater should be, I'd expand it across the Chesapeake Bay to Northampton and Accomack counties in VA, and up through Salisbury to Sussex County, DE and Denton, MD..All of that is old Tidewater, ..part of the South.
Good post.. Eastern Shore of VA & Maryland, slower, lower Delaware (collective DelMarVa) are part of the historical (& contemporary) Old, Upper South..

It is a pretty good map tho..

Old 01-04-2019, 08:44 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Yes lol-- a kindergartner could do much better. I only found two old, colored pencils laying around, unfortunately.
Looks good.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 AM

6,961 posts, read 14,091,290 times
I definitely agree with this. Others have mentioned NoVa and MD, but they are not culturally Southern at all anymore. Maybe used to be. Not anymore. Times change, people.

The only places I'm aware of enough that could have been added to the Upper South would be the extreme southern portions of IL, IN, and Southeast Ohio. To a northerner like myself, Cincinnati can come off as Southern, and thereby NKY as well, but I know that's just my bias showing. But Southern Indiana often feels more Southern than even parts of KY. And southeast Ohio is pretty well-tied to the parts of WV that people would consider Southern.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:59 AM

29,916 posts, read 27,355,630 times
I wouldn't have gone past NC with the Deep South designation, but otherwise it's generally accurate.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:50 PM

396 posts, read 136,695 times
I like that the OP separated north and south East Texas. The usual opinion is that all of ET is the Deep South (or that no part of TX should be included)

Old 01-04-2019, 05:05 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
As a person from central MD, I've even never set foot in Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's County. Yes, parts of Charles have some DC suburban influence, but those three counties plus all of the Eastern Shore south of US 301 still retain a pretty southern feel, and I'd throw in parts of Kent County, DE as well (not the Dover/Smyrna corridor though). That said, the portion of Sussex County near the beaches doesn't feel that southern due to the transplants and retirees, plus its just a ferry ride away from NJ.

And I always think of a "Middle" division within the south. IMO the Upper South is the portion of the region that has more influence from the neighboring northern region (Lower Midwest/Northern Appalachia/Mid-Atlantic) than it does with the Deep South. This includes most of the southern thirds of MD, DE, the southern two-thirds of WV, most of KY (except for the Cincinnati suburbs), most of VA (except for the DC suburbs and southside), Northeastern TN, southern MO, and northwest AR. The Middle South (most of NC & TN, northern AL & GA, upstate SC, southside VA, central AR) are sort of this middle ground in that its clearly southern, but not quite in the deepest portion. Anything south of there (including the Memphis area) is deep south, ending about 30 miles north of I-4 in Florida and about 30 miles west of I-45 in Texas. Though arguably a fourth division, "Frontier South", also exists, encompassing the middle two-thirds or so TX, and most of OK outside of the panhandle and parts that border Arkansas. It's southern with western influences, just like how upper south is southern with northern influences.
that's to far into TX. I'd say no more west of Madisonville and North of Beaumont as Deep South.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:07 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
I can dig the map.

Only addendum(s) I'd personally make is more of Texas and Oklahoma, and a little more of deep Illinois perhaps (most of little Egypt really is remarkably southern).

Also perhaps southeastern-most Maryland too.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:27 PM

6,852 posts, read 6,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
that's to far into TX. I'd say no more west of Madisonville and North of Beaumont as Deep South.
Yes, I'd go with this for a line to demarcate "the deep south" in Texas...........

Hugo, OK- Paris, Tx- Sulpher Springs- Canton- Athens- Palestine- Crockett- Huntsville- and down into the Houston metro being the last town that has any deep south element in Texas. Obviously Houston is an international city but has some deep south roots.

West of that line in Texas is more of the "Frontier South" that was described by a poster previously. The part of Texas that was settled more post civil war and wasn't established so much antebellum.

For instance, Dallas was founded pre civil war but it really didn't start booming until after the war. And there is a lot of argument about it being deep south. I say it fits better with the part of Texas west of the line previously described but does have a stronger southern presence than points west.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:29 PM

7,735 posts, read 6,139,094 times
If the Majority of majority of MD (Baltimore area, Eastern Shore, Western MD) hasn't changed much from the time is was considered southern, how is it no longer considered southern all of a sudden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.